Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soundprogramming Tips/Tricks/Tutorials

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lando2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Soundprogramming Tips/Tricks/Tutorials Reply with quote

Hi Kingkorgfans,

The Kingkorg has a lot of usable presets but programming your own individual sounds makes a lot of fun too!

Why dont we share tips and tricks for programming in this thread?

So I will start.

How to program bassdrum, snare and hihat in a single timbre.

Start with an initialized patch.

You need for this two oscillators.
Oscillator 1 is responsible for the bassdrum and the bottom of the snare. Therefore use a sinewave and tune it down an octave.

Oscillator 2 brings the spectrum for the noisy part of the snare and the hihat. So choose white noise as oscillator 2.

Next step is to program the characteristical piuuuu of drums. Go to the virtual patches and patch EG1 to pitch with an intensity of +63. Then you have to adjust the envelope 1. Use an attack of 0, a short decay, sustain of 0, and a short release time.

Then change to envelope 2 and choose simular values for the amp modulation.

So where are we so far?

We programmed the spectrums of our drums and how does it sound now?
In the lowest octave you can hear something like a snarebassdrum:-)
In the next octave there is something like a snaredrum and the upper oczaves it didnt sound like a hihat at all cause you hear too much of the sinewaves piiuuuu.

So lets get rid off the noise in the lowest octave and the sine in the upper octaves. Therfore go to virtual patch two. Modulate the volume of oscillator 2 by keytrack with full intensity.

Now the noise in the lowest octave disappeared.

Next step is easy. Virtual patch3 keytrack modulates oscillator 1 level with an intensity of -63.

Now the sine disappeared in the higher notes but it still doesnt sound like a hihat, because we use a wrong filter.

Choose a 4pole HPF, for instance the HPF King and set the filter keytrack to +2.00.

Now you here in the upper octave a hihat sound, but our bassdrum in the lowest octave disappeared.

You have to adjust the filtercutoff, put it to about 62.

Now you can hear in the lowest octave the bassdrum, in the next octave the snaredrum and in the highest octave the hihat.

If you turn the resonance half up, you can push the snare a bit more.

If you want to you can have an open hihat too. Therefore turn the release time of the ampenvelope up to maybe 100. When you now play very short notes you have an open hihat, by long notes a closed hihat. But this can be problematic by fast rhythms.

So you see the key to this sound is the keytrack parameter. You can use it in this timbre again to adjust the volumes of the three sounds.

From this basis you can start to individualize your drums. Try different filtersettings, decayamounts and effects, maybe a subtle reverb or anything what you want, but dont forget the tube:-)

So that was my first tip. I hope i can read soon tips of you and feedback is always welcome.

Greetings Lando
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea, Lando2.

I hope you will not be left alone there Wink
Lando2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so too Very Happy

Whats about you? Any tips and tricks to share?

Lando
Rusman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lando2 that's cool
I am brand new to keyboards and am looking how to create flute sounds on my king korg

I definitely will share anything I create when I get to know how
I believe you get what you give

I haven't read the manual yet, I'm a jump in with both feet and start playing kind of person Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: