Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to tweak onboard sounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackuar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: How to tweak onboard sounds Reply with quote

Hi All,

Been about three months with my PA600 and damn happy with it so far. So next, I've heard that with a bit of tweaking you can make the board sound even more better.

I just want to ask how to do that? What are the various things you would usually change to make an onboard voice sound even better?

To me better would mean, more natural and richer sounding. Please don't give me the technical steps on getting to the equalizer page and working around... Rather more on what each setting will do to the sound in terms of quality - like what will increasing the dB level along low/mid/high level would do, changing the frequency, how it affects quality of sounds, how changing attack / release changes quality etc. I did some work around and can hear significant changes with change in each parameter but can't seem to figure where to end up at last... how do I say "Changing this gives me richer sound and changing that gives a warmer sound"?

Any reference to such sound tweaking guide in general or your personal experience or method of how you would go about tweaking the sounds in general; not just in PA600 but any Korg / KB that you have
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is about the PA600 and has nothing to do with audio/video products (where this was posted), I've moved it to the PA600 section of the forum.

Please browse the index in the future to find the right page to post on. http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/index.php
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for beginning your voyage into the realms of sound design (and coming from an experienced synth programmer), this collection of articles comes highly recommended:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

Whilst your PA600 is a sample based synthesizer and some stuff might not be possible or might not apply, it covers a lot of ground from beginning to advanced concepts.

I think the key aspect to understand for any synthesizer is that every sound is only made up of a combination of settings to a usually fixed set of parameters for each synthesizer. The same way as turning the one knob on your toaster makes different kinds of toast (or even just warm bread), different combinations of sound settings - and in the case of romplers and samplers like the PA600, the choice of sample is effectively a very dramatic and powerful setting change - entirely defines the resulting sound by telling a series of fixed audio processes (just like a string of effects units) what to do to the sound as it passes through them.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
NoteBender

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not exactly what you were asking, but I found changing a couple of Global settings improved my overall sound.

Under the Audio & Eq changing the Limiter Preset and EQ Preset can make a significant difference in overall sound. (As yet I don't know enough to knowledgeably try changing the individual parameters.)
patrickmagongo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: ?? Reply with quote

It sounds late to give what worked for me recently concerning this stuff but what worked for me what changing the velocity curve to soft 1 interchangably with soft 3,if you have not yet sold your keyboard.It can change your conclussion about korg.Easy edit can be done later.After you take this step then you can start trying combinations of sounds you like.My view of korg is that it demands creativity because of its flexibility.You can do what you want with it.You hear a sound around, you go and try some combinations!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa600/Pa300 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: