Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help programming the Trinity's sounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JazzKitten

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Help programming the Trinity's sounds Reply with quote

Hi there - I'm new to the forum, so hello everyone, great to meet you!

I've been a Trinity owner since 1998 and I've gigged it, tinkered with the combinations and sounds and never found a need to take it any further than that.
Recently though I've found I'm interested in programming the Trin to sound like some retro synths (I know it will not sound analogue) just to get a feel for the sounds. The repertoire of the band I'm with at the moment calls for the odd lead etc.

So, I bought a copy of Welsh's Synth Cookbook. It's a very good book, and I understand all the concepts. What is not so easy though, is how to apply the theory to the Trin. Sure, I can find both oscillators and LFO settings although they are not calibrated in the same units.
I have so many questions that I'd really like to ask of someone who knows the ins and outs.
I am willing to pay someone to help me.

Anyone interested? I'm based near Sheffield but if you think we can do this by email, that's fine.
I can pay by PayPal or cash.

Thanks in advance

Very Happy
Spacecowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: i'm not much help, but here's my opinion Reply with quote

trinity has the most horrible editing i've ever seen. just me running my fingers again.

my main point is, i hate editing the trinity from scratch.

Last edited by Spacecowboy on Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
mstsfreak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am somewhat trying to do the same with my trinity. I am now putting all the so called "analog" waves into very simple programs so i can have a simple starting point for making analogisch sounds.
I think the Trinity can do more than you think, a real analog sounding program is not 100% possible, but you can come a whole lot close.
Pity for the lacking portamento though. Or is there another way to program this?
Spacecowboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i shouldnt pick on the trinity as far as programming. i just never liked Korgs abbreviations/language in editing. it's my own ignorance being a roland guy for so many years.

Last edited by Spacecowboy on Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree that the Trinity has the most horrible editing. I just think it has so many parameters, including many that you don't routinely need, that it bamboozles most people. However it does offer unprecedented control over modulation, both internally in terms of LFOs and EGs, and externally such as key velocity, aftertouch, X+Z ribbon, X+Y joystick, 2x switches, foot-pedals, etc.

It's a very well specified synth, even now.

For making retro sounds you should focus on the envelopes, particularly the filter envelope. And use the classic waveform samples (square, saw, etc. and other variations) as the main oscillators.

Unless you have the Moss or Solo card you're limited to using the multisamples, and you miss out on several genuine 'analogue' synthesis features such as unison, portamento, osc-sync, etc., but you can still get into the same ballpark, to a certain extent, by attempting to mimic them via other methods.

There are a number of excellent examples of analog-esque patches in the standard factory presets. Use those as a basis to experiment and see how you can change them to your liking.

It's a broad topic. If you have any specific questions, ask away.
jhulk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have the pbs tri and can load pcm i am currently building 10000 multisample wavetables from many synths

i started the project with the t series but i create sf2 then convert to kmp

as the t series dump editor reads kmp files

they are in 32khz format of the old t series the trinity plays these fine as its one of its sample playback formats

so far i have done kawai k3 k1/k4
yamaha sy35
ppg 3000 wavetables
the wavestation sets not available in the trinity
the t1/nx5r dwgs from the dss1 and dsm1

all the hammond draw bar settings as wavetables

roland d50/jd800jd990

and many more
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhulk wrote:
if you have the pbs tri and can load pcm i am currently building 10000 multisample wavetables from many synths

i started the project with the t series but i create sf2 then convert to kmp

as the t series dump editor reads kmp files

they are in 32khz format of the old t series the trinity plays these fine as its one of its sample playback formats

so far i have done kawai k3 k1/k4
yamaha sy35
ppg 3000 wavetables
the wavestation sets not available in the trinity
the t1/nx5r dwgs from the dss1 and dsm1

all the hammond draw bar settings as wavetables

roland d50/jd800jd990

and many more

That would be something that would interest me, as I have PBS.

Where are you getting your samples from? Are you recording/sampling them yourself?

32KHz is fine, but bear in mind the Trinity resamples them to 48KHz before storing the samples on the PBS flash ROM, so be aware of memory sizes. At 32KHz, you can have no more than 5.3Mb of waveform data, as it would expand to 8Mb when resampled to 48KHz by Trinity.
jhulk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are tiny its more a samples problem than size as max samples is 500 and max multisounds is 100

i can get 27 multisounds in a 1mb korg t1

and the trinity does not upsample them to 48khz in ram but does it in the sound engine

so it does not save them to the pbs as 48khz the trinity will load several formats of sample size theres the standard formats of 16/24/32/48

and theres the compressed formats so a 32khz file would be for compression 31250hz

i recorded them

some examples of sounds on soundcloud

http://snd.sc/171QzqI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A43RzNlEXuA here is a video using my pcm sets
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: