Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No sustain pedal when midi local turned off

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richford

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: No sustain pedal when midi local turned off Reply with quote

My subject line says it all really.

I'm using the Kronos as a midi keyboard input for the first time, as well as for its sounds in a DAW environment.

Not that I think it makes any difference to the situation but I'm using logic 9 with Mountain Lion and called up the Kronos Editor as an instrument plugin.

Perhaps more relevant is the Kronos version number - 2.0.5

In order to prevent midi reflections via the sequencer I have turned off midi local in Global -> Midi.

But for some reason this prevents the sustain pedal I have connected to the damper jack socket from working. (It's a Korg PS-1)
In the past I've always been using a different master keyboard so this has never been an issue until now.

If I switch midi local to on it works fine. I experimented with the "convert position" option (whatever that is) but no difference.

Any ideas?
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
It doesn't work on soft synth or the Kronos sounds? When you press just the pedal, do you see a message in the transport's MIDI monitor section? The sustain pedal(CC64) could be assigned as a control surface element. When so, it stops transmitting its regular function(sending sustain pedal message).

Blink
richford

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes CC64 says it is receiving OK - so it's clearly the Kronos that is failing to receive the correct messages.

As my other post suggests - sustain messages from outside the kronos are not being received by the kronos.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either that or you have some kind of midi filtering going on in the DAW (or on the Kronos).
richford

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have discovered that this only applies when using the Kronos Editor.

If I set up an external instrument channel - it works absolutely fine - if I copy the midi region to the external instrument track it works fine - just not from the one where I've opened an instance of Kronos Editor.

I haven't yet ascertained whether other midi CC can't be sent in this way either - but it seems to be a foible associated with the Kronos editor.

I was going to try DP8 and see if the same happens but of course Kronos Editor is only 32 bit still - that old chestnut!!

I am beginning to get the impression the Editor isn't the best way forward for this type of work!!

Any feedback on the Kronos Editor and particularly used in a DAW situation would be most helpful..
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richford wrote:
I have discovered that this only applies when using the Kronos Editor.

If I set up an external instrument channel - it works absolutely fine - if I copy the midi region to the external instrument track it works fine - just not from the one where I've opened an instance of Kronos Editor.

That is precisely how it is supposed to work. You should "NOT" be recording to the editors track/channel. Record your MIDI data to the Extertal instrument track. Recording this way will give you your damper pedal and every other cc available, you can even record the drum track on off etc. (sysex)
richford

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I see - that's interesting - seems a little perverse, but I guess that's fine.

But I am at the moment left wondering somewhat.. "what is the point of the Kronos Editor? Does it really give a project any added value over just track-laying a bunch of ext. instruments?"

Is there in that case a preferred method of organizing sounds on the Kronos for a particular project within the Kronos Editor and then recording midi on the external inst. tracks so that you can use it multi-timbrally - and at least go back to sounds you'd used earlier in track-laying for editing purposes? A proper recall facility?

Is there anything on the web specifically covering this subject?

At the moment it all feels very clunky.
I realise the Kronos Editor is not designed to be what the Access Virus TI is (which is a real shame because that works absolutely brilliantly now that the bugs seem to have been ironed out, touch wood) but I have not yet found a really good working method for using Kronos sounds (which lets face it are extremely good) within a DAW project.
I tend to find it does things like change patch when I don't want it to (what I mean here is not that I ever would change a patch mid-song but that the DAW sends out seemingly spurious channel change either at project start-up or on RTZ command) and I lose any metadata I may have set up on a patch.
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I am at the moment left wondering somewhat.. "what is the point of the Kronos Editor?

Kinda what most other people think!! Very Happy

Well, certainly me - I uninstalled mine: waste of drive-space! Very Happy

DAn
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: