Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound Card and Software for Midi Sequencing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
darrylkorg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Sound Card and Software for Midi Sequencing Reply with quote

Dear All,

I bought a Pa 600 few months ago and i had to say i ve been having great time and fun playing with the instrument and there are too many things to explore. Have been using the song sequencer mode extensively all this while.

I am now thinking to explore the midi sequencing. So thought of taking some inputs / suggestions.

1. Which Software would be ideal for rookies like me.
2. what things should i buy to get my KB connected to my PC for a basic sequencing.
3. If there are any materials to go through and learn.

Your inputs will surely be helpful to my start with this exciting hobby. I have no intentions to take it professionally. I know i cant Laughing ... So request your suggestions.

Awaiting your responses.

Thanks,
Darryl
wittid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

you doesn´t need a soundcard for midi.

You can buy an USB-Midi Interface - it´s cheap and good.
I´m Using the Midifile Optimizer software and it´s very easy to handle with good results.

For the PA600 i use the setting og the PA800.
so far from my side
Detlef

P.S. i think you can download a demo of the software to test it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can connect the PA600 to your computer using a standard USB type B connector for the MIDI interface. You also have to install the Korg USB MIDI driver. Note that this is only for MIDI and no audio is transmitted.

You may also want to consider an audio interface to get the audio into your computer for recording and editing. You don't need it to get started with MIDI sequencing but you will probably want to get one at some point. There a a lot of decent 2 channel interfaces that are inexpensive. Focusrite has a good one.

I use Sonar X3 for my DAW. You could get the entry version and upgrade to other versions as your needs grow. There are other good ones too but do some research and be sure there is an upgrade path when you find you need more.

Here's a link with lots of information that should be very helpful.

http://tweakheadz.com/guide-to-home-and-project-music-studios/
darrylkorg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also want to consider an audio interface to get the audio into your computer for recording and editing.

Hi,

Thanks for your inputs....

If you culd let me know the difference between Midi interface and audio interface it would be helpful.

Is that the audio interface is required to record voices and other instruments?

Regards,
Darryl
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer to your question is yes, the audio interface is needed to record instruments and voices.

MIDI is just data that tells a synth what notes to play as well as other control information, there is no audio contained in a MIDI sequence. A MIDI interface transmits this data between devices such as a keyboard and a computer.

The audio interface transmits the actual sound that is played between devices. It usually takes care of converting a signal from analog to digital or digital to analog as needed.

So for example, a computer plays a MIDI sequence and sends the data to a MIDI interface which in turn sends the data to a PA600. The PA600 plays the notes and the signal is sent to its audio output. Connect the PA600 audio output to an audio interface which will convert it to digital and send it back to the computer over USB or FireWire where it can then be recorded by a DAW.

Some interfaces have both MIDI and audio connections in the same device.
darrylkorg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the clarifications.

I have shortlisted the below based on my budget. Please suggest the good ones for beginners.

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB 2.0
Focusrite Saffire 6
M-Audio M-Track Two Channel Portable USB Audio/MIDI Interface
Roland UA-22 DUO-CAPTURE EX USB Interface

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Darryl
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with either the Focusrite 2i2 or the Roland UA-22. Both are good quality 2 channel interfaces.

The Roland has a few extra features including Sonar LE so that might be the better choice for you. It gives you everything you need to get started and you can always upgrade to other Sonar versions later if you like it.

I think the Roland also has better integration with the iPad if you are ever going to use that. The Focusrite has no MIDI support so no way to get MIDI into the iPad. The Roland has MIDI DIN connectors for that.

I think the Focusrite comes with Ableton Lite for your DAW and it is a little less expensive. But personally I like Sonar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa600/Pa300 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: