Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Krome live setup question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhynotax

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Krome live setup question Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
I'm thinking of purchasing a krome 73 in the very near future but there is something that i don't know how to do on this keyboard and i was hoping someone here could help me. I have a cover band and the ability to switch sounds very quickly on the fly it's very important.

I know that the kronos has a "setlist mode" but it's missing from the krome. So what's the alternative here?? How can I change sounds fast enough to keep up with the song?? I currently use a yamaha and they have these user banks and buttons to quickly change sounds.

It seems very strange to me that the only korg keyboard with a feature as basic as that is their flag ship keyboard wich is also their most expensive one. This is the only issue stopping me right now from purchasing it. Anyone here that uses the krome for live perfomances? if so, how do you go about solving this problem?
Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm new to all things Korg.
Thanks!
alexdx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) you prepare combi positions for each song. In each combi you have a layers/splits, effects, tempo, ARP, ... and set the name of a combi by song title.

2) on the stage, you enter a number of song and press enter ... you are prepared

This is how I played with the band for several years and it worked great. I know, some songs required the same instruments (timbers) and layers/splits ... I still have the same settings for different songs. Enter a number of song and press Enter is very fast.

After time I began to think that I shift combis to seq. RPPR function is very interesting. But I never did.
Past gear: M50 - my honey; microX - replacement for my X50 (like sound module controlled from M50); X50 - lightweight and powerful; KORG AX 3G - small and well
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setlist might seem like a basic function, but it is fairly new on the scene.

There are as many methods to help with that as there are players, so let me just outline a couple of the strategies that people use.

1 - limit the sound palate. If your band is one that does a very specific genre then you may find that all of your tunes use just 3 or 4 sounds... some guys get by with just an organ and rhodes. They may also use a bunch of stomp boxes to vary the sound -- this as opposed to saving several versions of a given sound.

2 - step through. If you play the same set every night, as you might for a tribute show, a musical or if you play with backing tracks in a rigidly structured order then you can set up a .pcg file such that your patches follow that order. You can then use the increment/decrement button, or set up the assignable pedal (in one direction only) to step through the patches in order without having to worry about whether you're punchin in the correct number. Hint: the decrement button would be your "saver" of you stepped too many times, and you probably want to rename patches to reflect the song they're used on as a way to keep track of where you are in the show.

3 - mnemonic order. Patch order on most synths is pretty arbitrary; makers want you to be able to find the coolest sounds while just noodling around in the music store with the fewest button pushes; SO, the order of factory patches makes little or no sense. It doesn't necessarily have to stay that way. With Korg synths all memory is volatile (the presets can be written over). Sounds within a USER Bank can be completely rewritten or reordered without affecting the factory stuff. A custom .pcg file can be set up in an order that YOU can remember. I've written my own "gig use" .pcg files that mimic those of an Alesis QS that I used prior to getting my Tritons. QS was middling as a synth but was really well organized -- after practicing for a while you'll get used to looking for pianos in the 00's, strings in the 50's, pads in the 90's, etc. and using the keypad you can call up even complex changes quickly... and if you are good with the keypad you'll be able to do it on a dark stage as well.

4 - sequence tracks. You can select individual tracks within a non-playing sequence, so if you set up a sequence that contains the sounds you'll need within a given set or complex song (like a medley of tunes) you can switch sounds using the same method you would for track selection.

5 - misdirection. The lead singer chats up the audience or tells bad jokes while you hunt through categories for the elusive next patch and the guitarist twiddles with dials on his/her stomp boxes on the floor on the other side of the stage. Renaming patches to song name in ALL-CAPS might speed this process.

6 - write it down. Set list on post-it note with patch numbers and locations next to them. Go high tech and make that list in "notes" in your phone or tablet. Go really hi-tech and figure out a LAN so everyone has a chord chart, lyrics, and notes on their settings.

7 - MIDI - for big budget productions a master computer sends MIDI program changes and the keyboardist just plays (unless he's the one controlling everything).

8 - Get a Kronos -- you want setlist, we got that. Nuff sed.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
rhynotax

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering!
A little background, we are a classicrock/metal cover band, so in a single night we can go from journey/doors all the way up to stratovarius/dream theater.

alexdx; I guess this method would be okay but thats assuming that I can fit every required instrument of a song in a single combi, and i dont think that'll be always the case. Although for most songs, that can be the way to go.

billbaker: option number 2 sound interesting, but let me see if I got it right. So from what i understand, I can take any factory given sound and "move it" to a user bank, which then I can rename to reflect the song I'm gonna use it on, and then, using an increment button or an assignable pedal I can cycle through all of them.

So an example would be something like this:

"song name 1"
"song name 2"
"song name 3"
"song name 4"

So all I need to do to start that parcticular song would be to position myself on "song name 1"? but what if "song name 1" is the same instrument/combi as "song name 4"? Is there a way to jump from "song name 3" back to "song name 1" or would I be required to repeat the sound in "song name 4" to keep it one step away?? because otherewise i'll be required to hit the decrease button twice to get back right?

Believe me if i could get a kronos i would, keybard its amazing but sadly its way out of my budget.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't loose anything by having repeated voice patches.

That's why the first step is to save everything. That way you can give yourself a blank slate and still recover previous patches if needed.

You have 128 user patch locations in a bank... why not repeat? Plus, repeating the voice gives you the option to tweak the sound a bit without having an impact on everything you might use that underlying sound for. So even though you're using the same piano patch you can set up one with a multi-tap delay for U2's "Beautiful Day" and another with plate reverb for "Imagine".

Doing things out of order is the one drawback to the step-through process. The foot-switch can only be set to move in one direction. So the scheme works best for a rigidly set show -- same music, same order every time.

I don't know if it works the same way on Krome as the Triton series, but when you open the bank menu from the play page you get a list of patches in that bank. If you highlight a location but don't push enter you get the sound right away, but you won't get the "front page" until you press enter.

SO: Do you really need that front page?

If you don't, then you have your set-list function right there because you can see something like 16 patch locations and (song) names per page and use the data wheel to scroll through the patches pretty quickly to the next to be played, even if they'e called out of order.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
rhynotax

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I see what you mean, and now that you told me, it doesn't sound as complicated as I tought it would be. I'ts definitely different from what I'm used to, but I'm sure with time, I'll get the hang of it.

Thanks a lot billbaker!! I'll be making my decision in the next couple of days and you have been really helpful!
alexdx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhynotax wrote:

alexdx; I guess this method would be okay but thats assuming that I can fit every required instrument of a song in a single combi, and i dont think that'll be always the case. Although for most songs, that can be the way to go.

You can do it. When you use a velocity and sw1 and sw2 for on/off some instrument, you can set up full orchestra Smile
Past gear: M50 - my honey; microX - replacement for my X50 (like sound module controlled from M50); X50 - lightweight and powerful; KORG AX 3G - small and well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: