Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what synth is VERY different/complementary to Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question of budget of course.

Personally, to complement a Kronos, I'd go Prophet 12, Solaris, Nord Lead 4, Elektron Analog Keys, Waldorf Blofeld, Access Virus Ti...

Plenty of choice for something different.

So again, it's all a question of budget as a Blofeld is not in the same price range as a Prophet 12. And so on...

Kronoscopie, tout sur le Kronos en français

http://www.kronoscopie.fr
robdevine69

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the best synth to compliment the Korg Kronos would be the Access Virus TI2.
Current Gear: Korg Kronos 61 4GB RAM 280GB SSD, Access Virus Ti2 61, Roland Fantom G6 1GB RAM with all 3 Arx expansions 01, 02, 03, AKAI MPC 4000 fully Expanded, Roland MC 909 Fully Expanded with Supreme Dance, Roland V-Synth Version 2 with Vc-1 & Vc-2, Waldorf Blofeld, Beat Kangz Beat Thang, Korg Karma with MOSS and PCM EXB's 03 04 & 05, Roland VS 1824 CD, Focusrite Saffire 56, Universal Audio UAD 2 Core, Win 8 Core i7, Sony Acid Pro 7, iMac 27inch Core i7, Logic Pro X.

Past Gear: Roland JP8000, Korg M3 61 with Radias, Korg Triton Extreme 61 with Moss, Roland XP-80, Roland SP 909, Korg Electribe EA-1, Roland GAIA, Korg Triton Classic, Roland MC 505, Roland JX-305, Clavia Nord Rack 2, AKAI MPC 5000 Fully Expanded.
johnnydr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muse Receptor if it's in your budget You'll never have a shortage of fresh sounds
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonically, I don't think Kross would give you anything that isn't equalled or bettered by the Kronos.

Other than that, there are lots of good suggestions in this thread... big variables are

-- budget

-- sonically, what areas you would like to diversify in... acoustic instruments (pianos? orchestral? or...) or synth sounds (analog/retro style or something more modern, something to emulate classic sounds or to create unique original sounds of your own), or vintage keys (assorted 60s/70s stuff that isn't already well represented in Kronos), or...?

-- interface... maybe you want something with more direct-knob control for more intuitive real-time sound manipulation?

-- do you care whether its a rack or a keyboard? if keyboard, weighted action or not? is travel weight a concern?

Besides the choices mentioned, I might also look at a Yamaha MOXF or some of the Nords.
midinut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

About the only thing I have my eye on is Omnisphere.

Regards
Sharp.

Get it. Do not pass go until you do. Oz has spoken.
Seriously Sharp. The most awesomeness ever to be had in a VST.
I've seriously GOT to get into and learn how to sample some of my fave omni patches into the Kronos.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess, like it's been said before, it all depends on your needs. I sometimes think I'd like one of those new Hammonds since I do play a lot of organ stuff but I've got a 73 key Kronos. The weighted keys beat up my hands when I'm doing palm smears.
Right now I'm really heading in a King Korg direction.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Danextgen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Integra 7 and the Kronos and they're a great combo!
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from what I've read here, it's obvious. You need the most powerful laptop known to man or a Muse Receptor filled with the best soft synthes that you can afford connected to a powerful controller keyboard. Probably a CMI.
Don't forget, everyone wants a Moog Voyager XL!

You also need a rack or 2 of hardware synthes plus a killer midi interface to get it all together.

Myself, I'd also add a vintage Hammond B or C 3 and a couple of powerful Leslie's!

Oops. Sorry! So sorry! Dreaming again! Wink

The best keyboard to go with your Kronos is the one that does whatever you need that your Kronos doesn't do for you. It all kind of depends on the sounds that you are looking for.

I wish you the best of luck and when you find it, please tell us what you bought and why. I'd really love to know.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit the post went probably further than I originally thought and intended. While I was wondering about those synths which could complement the kronos, my main question currently is about the kross, and particularly its weighted keybed (8Cool, since I'd like to get a synth/piano to just play and toy around with so as not to overburden the kronos keybed.

Aside question: for those who've had any WEIGHTED version of kronos for quite some time, how does the keybed hold? Did you notice any serious signs of wear and tear, malfunction, etc?

Kronos 88 - Korg M50 61 - Morphwiz - Alchemy synth
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Ferchis, I've got what I beleive is the 5th 73 key Kronos sold in Canada. I tend to play very aggressively and can say it's holding up just fine. I've been playing for a very long time , 52 years and I've always had a reputation for being a bit of a pounder on the black and whites. I guess it's just my style. To me it looks, feels and plays exactly like it did the day I brought it home. Am I happy with my Kronos? Oh yeah!

I have broken more than a few keyboards over the years just from being to "into the moment" we shall say. As far as I'm concerned, the weighted keyboard is as good as it gets what with the current state of technology.
shaneblyth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
Hey there Ferchis, I've got what I beleive is the 5th 73 key Kronos sold in Canada. I tend to play very aggressively and can say it's holding up just fine. I've been playing for a very long time , 52 years and I've always had a reputation for being a bit of a pounder on the black and whites. I guess it's just my style. To me it looks, feels and plays exactly like it did the day I brought it home. Am I happy with my Kronos? Oh yeah!

I have broken more than a few keyboards over the years just from being to "into the moment" we shall say. As far as I'm concerned, the weighted keyboard is as good as it gets what with the current state of technology.
Wacky Wacky Wacky Wacky Wacky Wacky Wacky Wacky Wacky Wacky Wacky Wacky Wacky Wacky
Macbook Air 13"
Mainstage 3
splinters

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried novation synths such as the ultranova and mininova?
Lovely sounds.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferchis wrote:
While I was wondering about those synths which could complement the kronos, my main question currently is about the kross, and particularly its weighted keybed ( 88 )

If you're looking for an 88, at the price of the Kross, look at the Casio PX-5S. It will at least give you some sounds and capabilities that are significantly different from what's in the Krome, whereas the Kross would not (plus it has a better feeling action, IMO).

If you can spend just a bit more, you can get the MOX8 at its current closeout pricing, and get a much more capable and better sounding board. There are a number of sounds in the Yamaha that I actually prefer to the Korg equivalents.

If you have a little more to spend, the newer MOXF8 has some nice enhancements over the MOX8. Other interesting boards at that price range would be the Kurzweil PC3LE8 and forthcoming Roland FA-08. Any of these would give you sounds and capabilities that are more different from what's in your Kronos than either a Kross or Krome would.
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd alway recommend a second keyboard, not just a sound module you play with the Kronos, although the Integra is on my short list. Remember, there is only one thing better than one keyboard, and that's two keyboards!

JP-80, P12, or any synth, would add lots of capability.

Just don't buy another workstation, you won't be happy!

Don't listen too me, I have spent too much money on keyboard/synthesizers.

If I really knew what I was talking about, I would not be touching the Motif Screen or other stupid confusion between keyboard OS's.

Cool thing about the JP-80 is the key bed feel, it is perfect for my playing style. Cool thing about the P12 is it's different than the rest.

Of course this selection depends on your application and working style.

I would not recommend the KingKorg or Krome, as QR said, it just more kronos.

I'm considering jump into high-end arrangers, after I buy a few more synths and pay off some of the debt. Rolling Eyes
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer just a MIDI controller (or old Triton used as a MIDI controller) for using in Kronos combis, but my faviorite bits of gear that do or would definitely complement the Kronos well are:
- ESX - pattern based sequencing on the Kronos just isn't the same. This feels like real hardware sequencing. It is
- MS2000/MicroKorg - just a very unique sound that I've found impossible to replicate on the Kronos
- MiniMoog voyager - beautiful, classic sound. Just something completely different to what Kronos offers
- Arturia Origin - there may be a lot of overlap, but for all of the other obscure things you can do with it. I love digital modulars. This is actually THE one thing I'm missing.

And now for something completely different:
Moog Taurus bass pedals. The Karo library just didn't do it justice. It's really difficult to synthesize sounding just anywhere near as big on the Kronos.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: