Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official Korg Zero8 LCD touchpad issue crew
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
infindebula

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I was panicking a bit: on my unit, the metal chassis that surrounds the touch screen is screwed to the main control panel chassis. The screws are not accessible, so in order to access my LCD and touch screen I needed to remove every knob, and zillions of screws that hold the big circuit board to the chassis.

This thing is going to be a BITCH to put back together.

Anyway: before I put it back together I plan to take some pictures to illustrate the problem, which is the flex print header that connects the KLM-2725 board to the touch panel, as illustrated in the video http://youtu.be/WIs9OPKYspY (albeit not clearly)

I have a theory about why the Zero 8 is prone to this problem. It has nothing to do with heat. Simply put, users are inclined to slide their finger around the touchscreen, which actually causes the bezel to move very slightly, relative to the board. Eventually these fractional movements cause that fine-pitched connector to become misaligned with the flex cable it mates with.

The solution would either be a slightly longer flex print cable, or a connector that grips the flex better, or otherwise soldering the flex directly to the board.

FWIW my Zero8 was previously serviced by the dealer for this very problem. (This could explain why my mixer has screws in places where others don't)

EDIT:

After some thought I think that another reasonably permanent fix would be to apply a small amount of a suitable adhestive inside the touchscreen flex connector. The connector housing itself does not seem to provide enough friction to secure the flex ribbon in place.

I am attaching a picture to illustrate what I'm talking about. Here you can see the touchscreen connector (brown/black), and the t-shaped flex cable end which is inserted into the connector has clearly become misaligned. In the picture it is obvious that the cable termination is not parallel with the edge of the connector. Once I disconnected it and put it back in straight, the touchscreen started working fine again.

william2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bought one cheap with a screen problem ($350)

had mine apart a couple of times

yeah I saw the angle that connector was at, didn't make any difference to mine

im going to try a screen from a Nintendo ds, I have a ds xl aswell but the screen was to big

the ds looks smaller than the original korg one but should still work

I let you guys know how it turns out
dvelop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: updates Reply with quote

Latest email from James Sajeva at Korg about the LCD issue.

"Cory,

I'm trying to correspond with Japan. Sometimes they discuss and get back which takes time. I honestly do not know what the outcome will be.

J"
william2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: updates Reply with quote

dvelop wrote:
Latest email from James Sajeva at Korg about the LCD issue.

"Cory,

I'm trying to correspond with Japan. Sometimes they discuss and get back which takes time. I honestly do not know what the outcome will be.

J"

That's not a good sign.

I wasn't able to get the ds lite screen in and working, may have been
me messing up the ribbon cables.

Wondering maybe one of the kaoss pads has the same screen?
infindebula

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

william2 wrote:

William2, what's wrong with your screen? You didn't say, exactly.

The assembly consists of a touch panel in front of the LCD. If everything on your screen looks OK, then you don't need to replace the LCD portion.

If your problem is with touches not registering properly, then you only need to replace (or repair) the touch film. That part costs about 30 dollars.
monoaural

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all ,
I´m really considering to get one of these Zero 8 Mixers, but reading all these troubles, i´m better keep my hands away from it?!

I mean, are there any happy zero 8 users out there?

Did you guys found a solution/the reason why this wonder mixer break so often?
william2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

infindebula wrote:
william2 wrote:

William2, what's wrong with your screen? You didn't say, exactly.

The assembly consists of a touch panel in front of the LCD. If everything on your screen looks OK, then you don't need to replace the LCD portion.

If your problem is with touches not registering properly, then you only need to replace (or repair) the touch film. That part costs about 30 dollars.

yeah sorry meant the touch screen.
william2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monoaural wrote:
Hi to all ,
I´m really considering to get one of these Zero 8 Mixers, but reading all these troubles, i´m better keep my hands away from it?!

I mean, are there any happy zero 8 users out there?

Did you guys found a solution/the reason why this wonder mixer break so often?

Its a very comprehensive mixer, lots of options, midi cc box, got mine cheap with screen problem so cant access the os, but I can still use it.

You need to get the gain structure right other wise it might seem noisy.

Need to get a fan on to the pwr sup to stop it over heating the touch screen
groovePRO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Scrizzeeen Reply with quote

OK, bought my Zero 8 off ebay, "in mint condition", the crossfader was broken and the screen didnt work.
I opened it up and the issue is definitely the ribbon connection to the screen. It's a pain to get to but there is a lame tutorial on Youtube, just search for it, basically, the connection to the screen is a weak connector that doesn't grip the ribbon to the circuit board. I sprayed it with Deoxit and re-plugged it then put the unit back together.
It worked for a few weeks and then stopped again. I use my DJ rig heavily. 3-6 hours daily. So take that into consideration.
My solution was to open it again and just hard solder the 4 connections that the ribbon carried. No problems since.
As far as the crossfader, it's impossible to find the Korg fader, but the Innofader PSP or the Innofader with the angle attachment works fine.
I have pictures of the whole process and am willing to repair units as well, If you want either, email me at groovepro@gmail.com
peace,
-Flash
Corpo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: it's official Reply with quote

my zero8 is dead. Thinking of raising hell. but, feel like it will fall on deaf ears. Literally feel like I lit $2500 on fire. Damn thing never worked properly.
Hanskind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I also have the Zero8 since some years. The display issue (y-axis) was coming and going.. Then the was the beer... since that it was sitting around for almost two years.
Now I opened it and cleaned everything. I don't think the beer did too much to it. everything ist working but the touch assembly! (and the CF was not too smooth xD cleaned it and used oil from my electric shaver. perfect!)

I ordered the touch assembly over my lokal korg-dealer. It should be here in some days. I will report!

In my opinion the problem is to find in the touch assembly or the flex-cable itself!! the flex-cable-connector is high quality! look at the tiny dents it makes in the cable... that must be connection enough!!
The flex-cable was bended so much in every direction by the factory it had to fail at some time.

EDIT: Okay thats strange.. I measured the electrical flow of the touch assembly and there was nothing!!! everything okay! (I don't know the right resistance but it was responding to finger movement)

So back to the flex-cable-connector. I looked in it from where the cable comes in and detected that one pin (the very left) is slightly lower then the others... bended it up a little put it back together with a drop of hot glue on top of the crossing of flex-> connector and measured again.

THE SIGNAL IS OK NOW!

But again it was not working right -.- I also figured out that the sound it sends out is horrible (sounds like ring modulation on every channel (master, booth, headphones)).
I then noticed that some caps on the power-supply are popped! I will swap them and report again.

Could it be that all the problems are caused by the power-supply???

There are lots of stories about toasted zero8-power-supplys on the internet.. (causing bad sound)

EDIT 2:
I changed the damaged caps and the sound got better but is still bad... I will now change all caps on the power-supply...
dvelop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still speaking with James from Korg, he is recommending a service send on the units with the LCD issue at around 150 dollars in the US.. Not sure if this is the result I want on this, but its where its currently at.. I am also still waiting on any kind of word about getting anything related to firmware upgradeability and driver creation tools or code for future OS's.. and changes to the Zero8 as time passes on and this thing become even less cared about..
dvelop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: further contact.. Reply with quote

I was put into contact with Max Lauer-Bader maxl@korgusa.com
Here is my email to Max:
Further on the LCD issue to James's recommendation, I don't think its very ethical of Korg to force me or other 08 users to pay to fix an issue that is inherent with the majority of the Zero8's. and not by fault of the user. Clearly its something with the connecter and or a heat issue on the lcd being near the power supply. My unit has never left my studio, never really been used, I am very soft to touch on the lcd, and keep my unit covered when not in use, basically meticulous in care and use of the unit and my lcd goes out all the time just as it does with others on the forum... Just the Y parm, then if I am lucky a week later it works again..

To be honest, I assume you folks don't care, but even with it discontinued the Zero 8 lcd issue makes Korg look bad.. I and many others would love to see you guys just accept the issue and help the users get it fixed. Then we could all move forward from it.

I would be willing to do what I can to make my Zero08 a perfect working unit, I love it, there is no mixer out there that can do what it can and I've loved the Korg company for a long time, but to put the issue on the user is just wrong, and makes me and others never want to buy another Korg Product..

All most of us want is a true answer to why the lcds are showing similar symptoms and a proper fix so that it never comes back, id something is causing the failures.
The ability to possibly use the device into the future, driver updates.
The ability to update the OS and or ways to make changes to the unit once Korg completely doesn't care about it..

I don't want these units to just become junk.. Who designed it? Is that person around to talk to?

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=80858
threearabs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
A friend convinced me to try and get my zero8 working again.

Its great there is an active thread on this right now. I've had my zero8 for probably 5 years and hardly used it due to this issue and what I believe is the FireWire card breaking. Its Still useable but just frustrating to its so far from Its potential.

I'll try and fix the touch pad and then think about the FireWire problem. Apparently its best to get a texus instruments fire wire card.

Would love to be able to sequence some fx via midi. Has anyone been able to use the zero8 like that. Perhaps it'll be possible to mod using a rasbery pi..

Please add me to the list.

Lachie
threearabs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
A friend convinced me to try and get my zero8 working again.

Its great there is an active thread on this right now. I've had my zero8 for probably 5 years and hardly used it due to this issue and what I believe is the FireWire card breaking. Its Still useable but just frustrating to its so far from Its potential.

I'll try and fix the touch pad and then think about the FireWire problem. Apparently its best to get a texus instruments fire wire card.

Would love to be able to sequence some fx via midi. Has anyone been able to use the zero8 like that. Perhaps it'll be possible to mod using a rasbery pi..

Please add me to the list.

Lachie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: