Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overdriving Filter Causes Skipped Steps and Sync Loss.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonzey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Overdriving Filter Causes Skipped Steps and Sync Loss. Reply with quote

Hey everyone, happy to have encountered a Volca forum!

I noticed something rather annoying and I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered the same issue?

Here is the setup: Beats SYNC OUT to bass SYNC IN (or Keys SYNC IN)

Cutoff is set above 50%, so more than half way clockwise (or anywhere past half really.)
Then, with "peak" fully clockwise (all the way open to the right) the Bass sequence begins sporadically skipping past steps and falls out of sync with Beats. Sometimes this even happens before peak is fully open.

I thought this was maybe an issue with my Bass, like perhaps I got a lemon, but the exact same thing is also happening with my Keys.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Could someone try to recreate this with their Volca's and let me know?

That would be helpful, thanks!
Phabius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been experimenting sync loss with all three volcas since last week.
Tried to exchange positions in the sync chain and it got it better with Bass>Beats>Keys. Volca Bass seems to be the most problematic in receiving sync from Beats or Keys.
I can say the thin wires which come with the units are crap.
So I'm using better cables, but from time to time they loose sync anyway.
Careful with those jacks as well (I'm afraid some of mine may have problems already).
Gonna make the test with the bass filter and see what happens.
Korg MS-20 Kit, Korg MS-20 mini, Korg KingKorg, Korg Volca Series (Beats, Bass, Keys), Korg Kronos 61, Korg X50, Korg Triton Extreme 76 (96MB RAM, MOSS), Korg MS2000B, Korg monotron series (classic, duo, delay), Korg monotribe, Kawai K5000W, Nord Stage 88, Nord Electro 2, Nord Modular G2X, Nord Lead 3, Novation X-Station, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air

www.removesilence.com
Phabius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just made the test with Filter Peak at max, tweaking the Cutoff Knob and it was ok. Bass was in sync all the time. Connection - Beats>Bass>Keys.
I've played for about half an hour with no issues.

Strange enough, like I said, last week I had odd sync problems. To be more detailed, sometimes I had problems only when connecting the third device in the chain. Beats with Bass, ok; Bass with Keys, ok... When connecting all three, sometimes one or two of them would skip steps.
I've exchanged cables in any possible combination. Today, I've just turned them on and they're still there, playing in sync... Oh well...
Korg MS-20 Kit, Korg MS-20 mini, Korg KingKorg, Korg Volca Series (Beats, Bass, Keys), Korg Kronos 61, Korg X50, Korg Triton Extreme 76 (96MB RAM, MOSS), Korg MS2000B, Korg monotron series (classic, duo, delay), Korg monotribe, Kawai K5000W, Nord Stage 88, Nord Electro 2, Nord Modular G2X, Nord Lead 3, Novation X-Station, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air

www.removesilence.com
systemist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried reproducing what you guys are saying but at first I had sync issues. I had mono 3.5 to 1/4" in the volca headphone outs and with some moderately stringent testing worked out that was the difference. Using stereo 3.5 to mono 1/4" with korg's sync cables going beats -> bass -> keys and never losing sync.
Monotron / Delay / Duo

Incoming: Microbrute
Jonzey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I should update my findings here.

I finally updated my Volca Beats the other day. After updating to the latest firmware (1.02), the problem seems to have been fixed. I am no longer experiencing skipped steps no matter how nasty the filter gets. I'm even still using those crappy stock cables too..

Beats must have been the culprit behind the mystery. I will conduct a few more tests with different configurations, but as of now, All is good!

Cheers.
darenager

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up, make sure you are using TRS (stereo) cables for the sync jacks or you will get intermittent sync.
Trig242

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Same Issue Reply with quote

Good Morning,

New to the forum, first post. Very happy to see a Volca forum available.

I noticed this morning that my Bass was falling out of sync with my beats. My chain is; Beats -> Bass [each unit has a headphone output mini to mini with a 1/4" adapter to my mixer]

I find that the bass is [as described] wildly skipping steps, even when i stop and try to restart on the top beat.

I have confirmed that my beats firmware is at 1.02, and that i am using stereo [TRS] mini-plugs. I am using the ones provided, I am guessing my first step should be to try a better cable.

Please let me know if I am missing something. its odd I used them together for some time a couple of nights ago with no issue, and now today its all wonky.

Appreciate any/all assistance and advice
Trig242

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

systemist wrote:
I haven't tried reproducing what you guys are saying but at first I had sync issues. I had mono 3.5 to 1/4" in the volca headphone outs and with some moderately stringent testing worked out that was the difference. Using stereo 3.5 to mono 1/4" with korg's sync cables going beats -> bass -> keys and never losing sync.

Sorry to double post so quickly, it turns out THIS may have been my issue. I ran a test not connected to my mixer and the units were running like champs. I then started connecting each unit individually to my mixer and having the other use the internal speaker and checking their sync while playing and changing patterns. It turns out one of my mini to 1/4" adapters was bad.

Just to confirm I am looking for 3.5 stereo to MONO 1/4"?

So now my question is; why/how would the headphone out jacks on the units affect the sync? I've noticed a few other posts and youtube comments that mention this. I am just having trouble seeing why it has that affect.

Thanks so much!
fant0mas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my best guess would be the close proximity of the sync and headphone out jacks.

maybe there is some scenario where there is more "cross-talk" between the two outputs when the headphone out does not have two lines of audio (dual mono) leaving the unit, and then it bleeds over into the sync signal, causing it to drop a beat here and there.

again, this is pure, uneducated speculation! Wink
(but makes sense to me)
Phabius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had that experience last week.

As I said, sync loss is random in my case. Most of the time it's ok, with the pro TRS cables both for sync and audio output, but I also had them going ok with no audio conected and suddenly they went crazy when I plugged the last audio cable in the Volca Beats output.

My setup works better with Bass>Keys>Beats, but the problem happened with this setup as well. I was wondering if power could cause it (I use three separate power adaptors, the Korg original ones). Who knows, but I believe in the crosstalk theory.

www.removesilence.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: