Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Upgrading' from Tyros

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiplet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: 'Upgrading' from Tyros Reply with quote

Hi all

So after having to take a few months out I am back looking at a new arranger! I have recently acquired a Tyros 3 in place of my Tyros 2 (more or less straight swap). Despite some upgrades it seems very similar though. So I'm back considering a switch to PA900.

Despite having Yamaha kit for years I think I am getting a bit bored with the sound; also it seems the Tyros line is being focused more at the older player - or at least focused on older music. The key feature of the Tyros 5 being 'Organ World' is a case in point here.

From listening to the demos on youtube etc it seems the PA900 has a more 'live', dirtier & more exciting sound? I am considering PA900 as it's well priced brand new and seems close to PA3x however I am a bit concerned about moving from an older TOTL board to a MOTL model.

I do like the look of the Tyros and the keybed action, also the support for new styles etc is very good but it sounds 'flat' to my ears.

I would be interested in hearing opinions from anyone who has moved from Tyros 3/4 to PA900 (or even PA3X), what made you make the switch and are you happy with your decision?

Cheers
BillyHank

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chiplet,

I moved from the T3 to s950 to Pa900 and I think the Pa900 is what the T3 should have been all along.

The 900 is a much more powerful keyboard for doing "all" the things you can do on an arranger - Consider that you can load into the Pa900 Sound font SF2 sounds, something not even the Tyros 5 can do or the Pa3X and there are thousands of them available - from so, so to unbelievable. Cool

The 900 OS is the easiest system to learn I have seen yet and navigating around the system with the touch screen is a piece of cake.

Now I did move from the 900 to the Pa3X because I did like the tilit up display, hard drive and wanted 76 keys for the first time in my life, but as far as the sounds and playing, it is a tossup between the 3X and the 900.

Bill G
Chiplet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill

Appreciate your insights! How do you find the keyboard action on the PA900 vs the T3? esp given moving from a £3000 instrument to a £1500 one..

It's the difference in the overall sound that interests me in moving to the PA900 from the T3, how did it seem to you?

Thanks
BillyHank

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I am any judge about sound.

After watching and participating in all these arranger forums for the last 12 years, I have come to the conclusion that the sound is in the ear of the beholder. Seems there are just as many folks on each side claiming preference of one over the other. For me, I have liked the sound of every keyboard I have owned - so maybe my ears are not as discerning as most folks. Confused

After all, you have so much control over the sound, surely you can adjust the keyboard settings for each voice to obtain the sound you want - for sure you can on the Pa900 - or, just go find that sound and import it to the 900. Sure it will take a bit of work on your part, but good things don't come without some effort.

After I sold my T3, I must admit that I really missed the feel of those keys and especially the after touch, but the Pa900 has a great feel and also after touch - I had the PSR-S950 before the 900. The price of the 900 and the S950 were exactly the same for me, but the 900 stands head and shoulders above the s950 IMO.

Bill G
Chiplet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill, would you say then that the PA900 keybed is as good as the T3? I'm struggling to locate a PA900 in my area to test drive so I may need to buy blind from an online dealer Confused

If anyone else has switched from the Tyros line to the PA900 I would be interested in how the sound compared in the real World, YouTube & the demos only tell half the story I guess!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: