Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KING KORG Filter Envelope

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swiley7775@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: KING KORG Filter Envelope Reply with quote

Check the filter envelope. Does it work? On my new King Korg I get no response from filter envelope or filter velocity.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, move the EG INT knob (in the FILTER section) from the center position.
swiley7775@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: KK Filter Env Reply with quote

Thanks to Akos Janca-- filter env is OK now; still working on filter velocity.
swiley7775@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: More Filter Velocity Reply with quote

Looks like the suggestion from Akos will help with filter velocity also. You can turn up EG INT and turn DOWN cutoff frequency. Then you can notice the change in Fltr Vel. SW
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's filter EG velocity. There is also filter cutoff velocity response, you access it via the edit pages.
Lando2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sanderexpander

You tested the kingkorg some time now, so what do you think about it?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well while it's been here for a while i can't say I've had a lot of time to really make a "full report". That said, there were some specific things I did and my thoughts so far were;

It sounds pretty good on vintage emulations. I put it next to my Micromoog and was able to copy a bass sound that was identical enough I think I could have used it interchangeably within a bass line.

I had to do a bunch of dance sounds and while it does well on the smaller fat sounds, the inability to seriously layer prevents it from doing truly massive sounding stuff. There are some options like unison and layering two sounds, 3 oscs each, but it's not really the same.
Other than that, sound option wise it's pretty versatile for essentially a VA. It boasts some classic samples like the M1 piano and organ, some simple strings that should do fairly well as mix padding and again, all the vintage synth stuff seems particularly well done.

I had to use it live as an "only board" and that brought out some "problems". So hopefully without sounding too negative here's some critique;
1. There is no direct control of oscillator balance or even sound (A/B) balance. You can set the level of an oscillator by first selecting it, then holding shift and tweaking the oscillator tuning knob. You can set the level of part A/B by selecting the respective part and tweaking the amp level knob. Both of these things are workable during programming but quite hampering live.
2. The tempo tap button is a shift function of the arp on/off button. Again, very annoying live.
3. There are no plus/minus buttons for program selection. You can use the dedicated category/favorite switches, but there's no next/previous when within a category. Obviously, you can use the value dial for this but apart from being finicky, that means you have to be on the main program selection screen (i.e., not on any of the editing pages) or you'll end up tweaking a parameter instead. Minor inconvenience but it did throw me off a bunch of times.
4. The tube on/off, drive and boost are global. Not very useful at all since they are an integral part of the sound. I've seen some argument about how this has to be because it's analog which I don't buy because my Triton Extreme has the same one and does it just fine per patch.
5. The layer selection (A/B) and parameter selection (filter vs amp EG) also seem to not be stored in the patch which is very annoying when you have to switch sounds and tweak them right away.
6. The "velocity" button near the EGs is actually EG velocity, meaning how much the velocity affects the EG values. It would at first glance (to me) make far more sense to dedicate this button to direct Filter velocity and Amp velocity. These parameters also exist but are hidden in the edit pages which makes for confusing programming.

Generally speaking I feel there could have been a few more buttons/sliders/switches for a completely analog feel. I appreciate what Korg has done at this price point though, and the sound is great. I don't currently play with more than one board but it would be a nice extra to any setup requiring good VA (and especially vintage) sounds.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely agree with your critical points, and only use it as second tier synth.
But then, in connection with a Kronos 73, when those problems you named play a much smaller role, it is really fun to use.
djcactus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the kk is my primary board but i also use ableton 9 suite and a weighted 88. Between Operator and Sampler, my sound design and live performance options are pretty versatile, though i will not disagree with you but i cant quite call them issues as much as shortcomings. Unfortunately i cant really hold my breath for any serious updates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: