Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to hear ARP play when in combi mode using Sonar Home

View previous topic :: View next topic  
acerimmer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Unable to hear ARP play when in combi mode using Sonar Home Reply with quote

I have spent hours trying to figure this out without success. I am fairly new to this module.
I am using Sonar Home Studio on my Win 7 PC to run my hobby studio. I have managed to figure out how to send Sys Ex messages to the Triton to switch modes / patches which work fine. When I switch to Combi mode and change a patch (eg: #35 Organic beats), the organ and bass sound whatever note I have in the track but no ARP plays (rhythm) which is what I want. My midi clock is set to external so Sonar sets the tempo.
Any idea's...I can't seem to find much help on the internet or in the manuals?
Thanks so much.
songman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no solution, but I have exactly the same problem from Protools. I've tried everything I could think of, to no avail.

So if anyone knows a solution I too would like to hear it. Thanks!
acerimmer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did manage to solve this issue myself.
I had found that Sonar project properties had a selection for clock and I had set it to internal whereas it should have been midi.
Perhaps Pro Tools has something similar? I have never used Pro Tools so can't exactly point you in the right direction but I know in Sonar, this solution solved my problem.
If you need specific details, please email me at phil.cummings@shaw.ca to see exactly what I am talking about and I will detail the exact steps I took.
Good luck
Phil
songman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil, Good for you!

I think in Protools everything is just fine as my XV5080 receives all midi information correctly. Also the Triton rack receives correctly program change messages and midi notes to play normally. My problem is with the setting for arp on the Triton Rack. I cannot get my head around the various settings on the rack. I've tried all possible combinations I can think of, it always gives rubbish. Either no arp or a crazy arp which does not change if I change the arp-run (there are supposed to be hundreds of different ones). Any pointers greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Bob

PS If you don't mind it is maybe best to reply here since others might be interested too.
acerimmer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So am I assuming correctly that the XV-5080 works just fine, even the arp when using Pro-tools? I also have an XV-5080 in my rack, just received it about a month ago so have not had much time to play with it. So if the arp is working on the XV-5080 then the issue is with the settings in the Triton Rack.
Does the arp on the Triton play okay when you preview the patch locally on the Triton Rack? This is what I found originally but it would not play from Sonar even though I had set the clock to midi in the Triton Rack.
songman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I withdraw that the XV5080 is working OK. I tested it on a sound that has its internal tempo exactly the same as the songs tempo, and thought it was OK. It isn't, so I'll have to figure out myself what is going on with protools and my MOTU midi express XT. Somewhere the clock signals are not getting through.

Cheers, Bob
acerimmer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,
I would check all the settings carefully in Protools, especially if you can find a setting like I had in Sonar which was project properties as this where I found the clock issue that solved my problem. If I get a chance, I will test the XV-5080 ARP to try it under Sonar. Your MOTU midi express XT is fine. I am using 2 MOTU midi express 128's in my system and have had no issue with them. I'll let you know how I make out.
Regards
Phil
songman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Problem with the XV5080 seems to be solved, it receives clock from protools and adapts the speed of the arp correctly. But the Triton remains a problem. I am unable to have it change arp-runs and the speeds at which the factory-run goes (song tempo is 120) is ridiculous, very slow compared to what I can hear when I audition the sound. I am about to give up. Plenty of other arp sounds in VI's , I guess I'll just use the Triton for its (great) normal sounds.

Cheers, Bob.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the Triton's global midi filter settings to make sure that none of the incoming MIDI is being excluded?

The difference in arp speed ("ridiculously slow") sounds like a difference in PPQ resolution, i.e., one playing 8th notes where the other is playing 64ths.

Another element to look at is what, exactly, triggers the arp:on within a given combination, as it can be set to come on only at certain note number or velocity threshold; if you're not hitting that note or hitting it hard enough the arp is not necessarily gonna turn on.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Rack All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: