Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So it's been a year...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magikroom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: So it's been a year... Reply with quote

So it's been a year or so since the KK was inveiled, anyone else think it's strange that there's been nothing new for it, no Editor, or even bug fixes? Don't want to moan as I got mine used, but just wondering.
Korg Kronos 73, KingKorg, Arp Odyssey, X5DR, Roland System 1m, Juno 6, JX-3P, JX-10, MKS-50, D10, Moog Sub Phatty, Novation Bass Station 2, DSI Prophet 08, Tetra, Analogue Solutions Telemark V2 and Leipzig-S, Nord Lead A1, Dreadbox Erebus, Waldorf Pulse, NI Maschine, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Arturia SparkLe, Beatstep, Spectrasonics Omnisphere U-HE Diva (Best Soft Synth ever) + other Softsynths
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I think the KK can be used well without any editor. It is one of its strength.

If you need an editor I suggest to try the great Patch Morpher.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, magikroom, browsing the posts I just realised you already have that app - and some experience, too. Smile
What bug fix you mean?
djcactus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a year later yes but wasn't immediately available for another couple months, at least at my local distributer.

I got to say, I am really happy with this board. It boots up quick, its really easy to program, and I just love the sound options. Yes i guess i could use more but right now as it stands, one year later I am happy I got one.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy with the bosrd as well, but a bit disappointed about Korg doing nothing else for it:
- still hoping for at least one more envelope for more flexible programming, and some additions to the modulation matrix
- waiting for a PC editor (less urgent due to the patch morpher)
- waiting for additinal patches besides what we program ourselves

So far: zero update, zero patch offers, and only a librarian instead of an editor
magikroom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Happy Reply with quote

Of course, I am happy with it and I'm not moaning about what it can/can't do...believe me, my first ever synth was a Roland D10 in 1990 and that was menus driven hell, but had lots of fun with it. I guess my concern is that, compared to my Kronos, which has had and continues to be supported, the KK doesn't seem to have that commitment.

I didn't pay the full price and got it considerably cheaper, however I see them on ebay and are quite reduced, but never get any bids...maybe it hasn't panned out too well for korg, which leads me to think, that's it. Of course, pure speculation on my part.

Yes, I have patch morpher and it has been a god send.
Korg Kronos 73, KingKorg, Arp Odyssey, X5DR, Roland System 1m, Juno 6, JX-3P, JX-10, MKS-50, D10, Moog Sub Phatty, Novation Bass Station 2, DSI Prophet 08, Tetra, Analogue Solutions Telemark V2 and Leipzig-S, Nord Lead A1, Dreadbox Erebus, Waldorf Pulse, NI Maschine, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Arturia SparkLe, Beatstep, Spectrasonics Omnisphere U-HE Diva (Best Soft Synth ever) + other Softsynths
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Korg themselves do not show any kind of interest for their own board within a year or more, how should the message of a great and developing synth reach and convince others?
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, maybe they are too busy with the other new developments. The KK is a simple - yet powerful - concept and it's working well.

Although they haven't issued new videos after the two existing ones (oscillators and filters, by Rich F.). I think those two were shot at the same time and place, but the first was published in April and the second only in July. Question
shergy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: update from Korg Reply with quote

I contacted Korg and asked if there any planned sounds packs scheduled for the KK, here is the response
"At this moment in time, there are no new pre-programmed sounds available for download for the KingKORG. While this may change in the future, we cannot guarantee when that might be."
Very disappointing for existing owners when you compare other synths (Nord, Access, Roland etc), the new Roland FA-06 has new sounds packs (free) and its not released yet.
I will probably be selling my KK and jump to Access, so if anyone in UK wants a KK please PM me.
For the record I think the KK is a great synth but I am rubbish at sound design.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KK is well useable as it is. So far so good. But it is definitely lacking sound packages and UI updates (one more filter etc.). Perhaps it doesn't even have headroom for such small improvements.

If it turns out to be kind of abandonware right from the start, which has become my imperession since months, that forces me to rethink my buying decision. Maybe I have to look for some significantly better supported poly-VA besides my Kronos. Perhaps I had better spent more money on the Origin right away, or waited for one of the other new interesting poly-VAs appearing all the time.

I had thought Korg was serious about the KK and its cool new filter concept. But it seems I was mistaken. Meanhwile I only accept supported synths anyway. "As is" is no option for me any more: sound and software support have become too important for the worth and everday use of this kind of device nowadays. Unsupported synths are losers and disappear from the market in no time .
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope in time to let PCG Tools support the KingKorg too, although it's more like a librarian than editor. But I hope it will add some features the regular librarian does not have.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
djcactus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

closer to my year purchase of the KK, still stumbling across features in the menu's that i've been looking over. This keyboard has really been one of the happiest purchases i've made in a long time.

I find myself in an generation of musicians between live instrument players and newer live performance software. In junction with ableton my sound effects, leads, progressions take just moments to integrate into a song.

Just love the board, hate to sound like a fanboy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: