Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Zero 8 -Is it a hiss or a 'digital' sound?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proof

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: The Zero 8 -Is it a hiss or a 'digital' sound? Reply with quote

So, I dont get much 'hiss' - no more than I would consider a normal noise floor, however, I do get what I can only describe as a 'digital bus noise' - regardless of having the firewire plugged in or not. The thing is, it seems to go away after about a half hour of running time...
bildeaux

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound digital in nature to me, but it does not go away for me.

b.
subterFUSE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless the cause, the noise is there and quite noticable.
Deft

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: ............ Reply with quote

The 'hiss' is totally swamped by the sound of the phono / mic / guitar pre-amps though. It is a strange thing and I guess they will noise gate it out. I don't think the mixer sounds particularly noisy in normal operation.
I suppose if you were just running firewire audio from a PC and you had moments of absolute silence then you *might* notice it. Most tracks don't have that much dynamic range though (I tried finding a track which appeared silent in the breakdown but it was still registering -60dBFS which again would cover up any of this hiss).
Proof

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess what I am trying to do is clarify what everyone is having problems with - what sounds like a digital buzz, not a hiss, or a high noise floor.
subterFUSE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is not a buzz. It is noise floor.... mild static hiss, almost like white noise.
dvelop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Zero8 Insert Reply with quote

The ZERO8 is a digital mixer, which digitally processes all audio. Assuring proper gain throughout the signal path will help you to achieve optimal sound quality. So you can experience the best performance from your ZERO, please note the following: Input trim and gain - As a starting point, make sure you are taking advantage of the high ceiling the channels have to offer on input:

1. Set the Master and Booth volumes to “0” (Otherwise you might overload your speakers. We will address the output stage next)
2. Select an input source for the channel you’re feeding signal to and begin playing audio. Your source should be at maximum volume
3. Press the SETUP button to access the main menu
4. Touch “System” on the screen
5. Touch “Input Trim”* on the screen
6. Using the corresponding knob above the screen, adjust the INPUT TRIM for the input type you’re using, to best accommodate the level of your sound source. If the meter on the channel indicates clipping (The last, red LED on the meter lights up), step down until you reach as close to unity gain as possible (The second to last, orange LED on the meter)
7. For fine gain adjustments, use the gain knob at the top of the channel. If the LED under the gain knob starts to blink (clipping) lower the gain just below that point
8. Repeat this process for all connected sound sources

*If you do not see an Input Trim choice, please refer to www.korg.com/ZERO8 for the latest operating system upgrade, which provides this feature, in addition to other improvements. Master and Booth Outputs – The best signal to noise ratio and hottest possible FireWire audio signal will occur by setting the Master Volume to maximum and then attenuating the speakers/amplifier to reach the desired listening volume:
1. Start with your speakers/amp at the lowest possible setting/level
2. Set the Master output on the mixer to maximum
3. Slowly bring your speakers/amp up to the ideal listening level
If you require more volume control over your monitors in a studio environment, use the Booth output for your monitors and leave the Master at maximum. Outputs/master level select on ZERO8 – Understanding the output levels and types of cables that are meant to address those levels will assure the best possible signal level:
- Master XLR outputs at +4dB
- Master ¼” outputs at +4dB or -10dB, selectable via a switch over the ¼” inputs – Use balanced (Tip/Ring/Sleeve or “TRS”) cables in conjunction with the +4dB selection and ¼” unbalanced (Tip/Sleeve or “Instrument”) cables in conjunction with the -10dB selection to assure optimal signal
- Booth ¼” outputs at +4db or -10dB, accepts balanced and unbalanced cables and self-switch dB levels based on the type of cables you use
We hope you enjoy your ZERO Mixer! If you have any questions on setup, please contact our Product Support Department at support@korgusa.com, or via phone, Monday through Friday from 10 AM to 5PM ET at 631.390.8737.
william2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Took awhile!

But nothing but normal gain staging,

complicated by the z8s very nice options
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: