Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intermittent keys on O 88?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenackr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Intermittent keys on O 88? Reply with quote

I am starting to get intermittent key silence (keys not responding when struck) on my O 88 and would to ask if others have experienced this?

Searching other posts in this forum section has provided a few people mentioning malfunction keys, most notably Ryan's post back in 2011. I didn't see what the original indication was, if I remember correctly.

I think I remember Kontrol saying he had key problems with earlier keyboards than the O and that usually a cleanup was required to bring them back to life, but he didn't speak directly about servicing an Oasys.

About a month ago, I had a plumbing problem that left the rug in the music room soaking wet and started using a dehumidifier around the clock to dry the carpet out. The intermittent key problem came on about 3 weeks after that so it makes me wonder about higher than normal humidity levels during that dryout time (about 3 days), but I don't know anything for sure.

I realize that there is limited traffic on this Oasys section now a days, but hopefully someone might have some suggestions as to how to proceed if it sounds like this a common problem with O 88's.

Please help if you can.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 76 key version, but haven't had any problems, so far.
kenackr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks for the reply!

I went back and re-read Ryan's post and followed a link in it to his original post saying it was an intermittent key. The upshot was that a cleaning of the contact strip was what it took to get it working again. Kontrol49 echoed that for earlier keyboards like the O1W & Wavestation & some Rolands that was also the fix too.

I don't recall now if the 76 key models were hammer action or semi weighted, but that in itself wouldn't affect what ever the problem is that I'm having, I believe.

I'm just starting to put my studio back together after a move and 5 years of not playing, so I guess it's like everything else in life, use it or loose it. Contact corrosion happens whether we like it or not, regular use certainly helps keep things cleaner.

Have you moved to any of the newer Korg keyboards? If so, do you still use the Oasys?
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 76 has the synth action keys. I mainly wanted to respond, so you knew that some of us are still around the OASYS forum.

kenackr wrote:
Have you moved to any of the newer Korg keyboards? If so, do you still use the Oasys?

I did get the KronosX 61. I control it from the OASYS. I love them both.
kenackr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks again!

Would you mind telling me what features you like about the Kronos X 61?
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenackr wrote:
Would you mind telling me what features you like about the Kronos X 61?

There are advantages to both. The OASYS has the bigger screen, more ins/outs, LEDs on sliders - basically the perfect interface.

Kronos: a lighter, smaller M1 style body. My 61 key has the power of the OASYS, plus more. (I like the portability of that.)

The disk streaming allows me to load up all the libraries I want. Right now, that is KARO Strings, KUO orchestra, my own samples (SFX, Yamaha, E-MU sounds), EXs1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8. I could load more, but I left almost a gig of RAM available for Audio Track and sample recording.

SSD streaming allows for mixing down to 24 bit wave files and 24 bit sampling to disk.

7 extra program banks - USER AA - GG.

New pianos, drums (rock, jazz kits), mellotron samples, extra tam tams and timpanis, and a large amount of sound effects that I really like.

Program mode has "Dual Drum Kits" option (good for stacks or crossfades). HD-1 sounds have 8 way splits, instead of 4.

SET LIST adds a new EQ effect and allows the neat trick (by having multiple instances of the same Song) of playing Audio Tracks, while picking different programs to play along, and not stopping the Audio Tracks.

I don't play with the CX-3 that much, but new amps and features were added that improve it.

Smooth Sound Transition allows up to 32 IFX to crossfade, so there is no dropout between two Songs, Combis, or Programs.

Ethernet connection allows you to hook up the Kronos drives to your computer or an Ipad.

Compatability with media is greatly improved. I never have to SCAN DEVICE to mount a drive. I can take a memory card out of my Zoom H4N and plug it right into Kronos (using a USB adapter).

LIVE/STUDIO mode allows you to Mute programs, so they actually don't draw processor resources.

Drum Track gives you almost 700 pattern presets, plus the ability to store 1,000 of your own. Even after power down, the patterns stay in there.

Those are the main ones I can think of.
kenackr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks again for the reply.

A month or 2 ago, I decided to replace my old and no longer usable Opcode Studio Vision (due to OSX) with Motu's Digit Performer 8 as I began resurrecting my studio, it led to purchase of both a Midi Time Piece AV and a Motu 828 audio interface, so it involved both USB for the MTP and a firewire for the 828 to my MacBook Pro that I use in the music room. That makes me appreciate the ethernet connection on Kronos quite a lot.

Disk streaming is certainly a huge benefit in terms of loading libraries at will.

I'm considering some additional libraries from Motu like Ethno and Symphonic for projects I'm starting to work on. Have you ever had the ability to compare those with KARO or know of reviews that do such a comparison?

I used to use my Wavestation when I needed a different keybed feel but haven't gotten to the point of setting it up again yet. Unfortunately, the house I bought here on the Gulfcoast, has rooms that are too small for a full set up unless I build an addition.

It sounds like there are a lot of good reasons to consider the Kronos X, I'll have to hang out in that forum for a bit to see what else I can pickup on it.

Thanks !
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenackr wrote:
I'm considering some additional libraries from Motu like Ethno and Symphonic for projects I'm starting to work on. Have you ever had the ability to compare those with KARO or know of reviews that do such a comparison?

No, I haven't made the comparison.
kenackr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: