Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting the Korg Triton Extreme to a computer
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tallmaleuk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Connecting the Korg Triton Extreme to a computer Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie on here and to recording music in general and I just wanted some advice on connecting my korg triton extreme to my apple computer so that I can use Logic Pro X.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install the Korg USB/midi driver. Hook the TEX up with USB. Done.
EDIT: unless you for some reason want to record audio from the TEX, in that case you'll need some sort of soundcard/interface and hook up the Triton audio outputs to the inputs of the soundcard/interface.
Tallmaleuk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SanderXpander,

Thanks for your informative response.

If I follow your instructions will I be able to do these three things:

1) Record songs on my Korg Triton Extreme and then transfer the songs audio and midi data to Logic Pro X and my Apple imac computer? I would like to do this so I can record vocals over the backing tracks.

2) Will I also be able to play sounds from my Korg Triton Extreme for example the piano sounds and record them onto a track in Logic Pro X?

3) Finally will I be able to use my Korg Triton Extreme to play sounds from Logic Pro X for example some of their piano sounds and bass sounds?. It would be cool to be able to compose songs using some of the preset sounds from my Korg Triton Extreme and some from Logic Pro X.

Many thanks.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For these purposes you will need a dedicated interface/soundcard (mainly to record sound). I'm assuming you have this anyway since you want to record vocals. Hook up your Triton's audio outputs to the inputs of the interface to record its sound, whether it's a complete backing track or an individual instrument. To record midi and/or play virtual instruments in Logic, you can use the Triton's USB connection (provided you installed the driver) or use midi cables to and from your interface (if it has midi ports) midi out from the Triton goes to midi in on the interface, and midi out on the interface to midi in on the Triton. Good luck!
Tallmaleuk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SanderXpander

I can successfully transfer and record songs from my Korg Triton Extreme to my Apple Imac computer because I am using a simple audio cable. But I also realise that this cable even though it allows the Logic software to record the backing track is not cable of transferring midi data to the computer and Im assuming that once I start using Logic Pro X I will need my keyboard to transfer midi data too right?

So I have two options to use a midi cable or use a usb cable to connect my Korg Triton Extreme to my Apple Imac computer and Logic software and both options will allow me to transfer midi data from my Korg Triton Extreme to my Apple Computer?

At the moment I do not have an audio interface but I am thinking of buying one to record live vocals. I assume that the reason why I am able to record live vocals is because my Apple Imac has a built in sound card that captures live audio through its internal microphone.

In your opinion is it absolutely necessary to buy an audio interface if you want to record good quality vocals onto your backing tracks?

Many thanks again.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For good quality vocals, yes, definitely.
You can get away with the line in for recording the Triton until you want to make things a bit more professional.

USB should work fine for midi, as long as you install the Korg driver.
Tallmaleuk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SanderXpander

I just wanted to say a big thanks for all your help! Its all very confusing when your a newbie like myself.

I definitely think I will be moving to purchasing an audio interface even if its just a budget one so that I can get a better quality sound for the vocals etc. As I eventually want to produce demo tapes and try and secure a music publishing contract.

So thanks again for all your help and for all the time you have taken to respond to each question. It is very much appreciated.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's no problem!
The Focusrite Scarlett series of interfaces seems to be popular, and relatively inexpensive as these things go. I don't own one myself. There's the 2i2 (smallest) and the 2i4 has midi if you'd like the security of those extra ports.

M-Audio and Edirol are other budget brands that offer decent small devices. If you want to hook up a large diaphragm studio mic eventually make sure the interface has at least an XLR type input with phantom power on it.
Tallmaleuk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SanderXpander,

Thanks for the advice.

I was looking at this product "Lexicon Alpha Studio USB Audio Interface" which has good reviews:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000HVXMNE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3CRHE1OFMOSMO&coliid=I17T8KY7QYDMYP

This product is relatively cheap but has excellent reviews.

Will using an audio interface to record my songs and transfer these songs from my Korg Triton Extreme to my Apple Imac and Logic Pro X also give me a better high quality recording of the backing track itself as well as the vocals?

Many thanks.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly. I don't know that interface though and it does seem cheap. If anything, the difference won't be nearly as dramatic as the difference it'll make for your vocals.

But since you'll be partly using sounds from Logic it's really only a few sounds you'll be recording from the Triton and it won't be worse than what you'd get from hooking it up directly. I wouldn't worry, if you do want something better in a year it was still only 50 bucks.
Tallmaleuk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SanderXpander,

Thanks again.

I have made up my mind to buy this one or something similar as I really want to improve the quality of the vocals I record.

As you say there will only be a few sounds I will use from the Korg Triton Extreme the rest will come from Logic Pro X.

I will buy this one now and if I need to upgrade to a better one later I will still have had a fair amount of use out of it and hopefully completed some pretty good demo tapes.

Many thanks for all your help.
Tallmaleuk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SanderXpander,

Thanks again.

I have made up my mind to buy this one or something similar as I really want to improve the quality of the vocals I record.

As you say there will only be a few sounds I will use from the Korg Triton Extreme the rest will come from Logic Pro X.

I will buy this one now and if I need to upgrade to a better one later I will still have had a fair amount of use out of it and hopefully completed some pretty good demo tapes.

Many thanks for all your help.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One important thing is that it does not seem to have phantom power on the XLR mic connector. That means you won't be able to directly hook up condenser microphones. The large diaphragm studio mics all need it too, but those may be outside of your budget for now anyway. You will still be able to use regular dynamic mics like the ubiquitous Shure SM57/58.
And you can also get separate phantom power boxes.
Tallmaleuk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SanderXpander,

I noticed the issue regarding a lack of Phantom Power on this audio interface too and I also realise in the long run this will create problems.

So I have listened to your advice and I am now interested in purchasing a Focusrite audio interface which seems to receive excellent reviews.

I have seen this package they do which includes a Focusrite audio interface, studio quality headphones, cable and a studio quality condenser microphone which is better for recording vocals right?

Anyway heres the link to the product. Please check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/focusrite-itrack-studio-ipad-mac-and-pc-recording-package

Many thanks.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one doesn't seem to have a set of stereo inputs for recording your Triton.
To be honest I would sooner go for something like the Scarlett 2i4, that will keep you going for a long time. But I can't see into your budget.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: