Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where'd You Get Your Analog Smarts? Chap looking for Chops

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghostly neutrino

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Where'd You Get Your Analog Smarts? Chap looking for Chops Reply with quote

I would be very appreciative if anyone would weigh in on sources for a more intimate understanding of the technical process of synthesis, particularly analog/Korg specific.

What I am after is a good, comprehensive understanding of analog synth features in clear and not overly technical explanations.

I have my eye on a couple books, but there is always some jape reviewer who will tell you that imporatant info that should be in there is not; or else that things are overly simplified.

I like simplified, but I like comprehensive,too.

Mark Vail's new book: The Synthesizer? Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook?

Anyone recommend these or anything in particular - book or other source.

Thanks in advance.
richbeemPOW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way is practicing my friend, the rest will come in due time
el_hombre

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, like richbeemPOW said, sitting down with your synth is probably the best thing. Not to mention it's free:) Since you're posting in the MS20 thread, I'll assume you're specifically referring the MS20, in which case, I'd suggest going through Marc Doty's excellent series of clips on youtube. They do a lot for helping penetrate the mysteries of this thing.
From there, there's also a pretty sweet library of patches http://20patch.constructingtowers.com/patch that's pretty awesome. I like just sitting down at my synth with some of these and trying to work out out things I didn't know, this page has been super handy.
richbeemPOW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is part one of the second set of videos by marc doty, aka Automatic Gainsay http://youtu.be/SNZpzy8tpw0, very very helpful videos, covering most parts of the ms20.

Here is the older set of videos by the same guy http://youtu.be/eeUBYef2AdQ, also very useful, id go through all of them.

These cover the basic of the ms20 , the oscillators, the filters, modulation, the patch panel, and some of both through actual playing.

Of course you can do much more as marc only touches on the basic and a bit of advanced stuff, there is always more to learn with the ms20.

You should go over these videos and practice these techniques in real time on your ms20, i think marc covers patching for distortion, possible mod wheel controls, sample and hold.

After playing with the synth for long enough, you will know how to use waveforms and filters to create certain sounds, shape them with the enveloppes, and modulate stuff around there to create great sounds.

I for example, like to sample drums i create with the ms20, kick/bass drums, snaredrums, hihats, cymbals toms, apply some bass and synth sounds, its a very versatile machine with a special soundscape.
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Where'd You Get Your Analog Smarts? Chap looking for Cho Reply with quote

ghostly neutrino wrote:
I would be very appreciative if anyone would weigh in on sources for a more intimate understanding of the technical process of synthesis, particularly analog/Korg specific.

What I am after is a good, comprehensive understanding of analog synth features in clear and not overly technical explanations.

I have my eye on a couple books, but there is always some jape reviewer who will tell you that imporatant info that should be in there is not; or else that things are overly simplified.

I like simplified, but I like comprehensive,too.

Mark Vail's new book: The Synthesizer? Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook?

Anyone recommend these or anything in particular - book or other source.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't read Mark Vail's new book yet, but it's on my review docket. Based on the table of contents, it looks like he's not really aiming to instruct in the basics of programming technique; he devotes just 30-some pages to synth features. The majority of the book seems to be more about integrating synthesizers into your musical workflow.

I have, however, read Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook. It's not really a general-purpose guide to analog subtractive synthesis -- Welsh's goal is more to teach you a particular method for analyzing sounds and determining how to recreate them on a subtractive synth. But his method won't do a lot for you if you're not already well-acquainted with the technical principles of synthesis.

If you're not averse to spending money, my go-to recommendation is Syntorial. It walks you through the basics of analog subtractive synthesis, one feature at a time. The program helpfully builds in "on your own" sections intended to give you practice applying the lessons to your own synth. Note that since the MS20 uses a very non-standard layout in many respects, you may need to do some mental conversions. Personally, I think Syntorial is highly worth the asking price; the program's teaching method is sound. Full disclosure: in my day job, I use Syntorial to demonstrate effective instructional technique in online learning environments.

If you'd rather not spend money, there's always the classic standby: Sound on Sound's Synth Secrets article series. The series starts out very technical, but if you stick with it, there's some excellent information to be found. My biggest criticism of the series has to do with Gordon Reid's writing style -- he has this meandering, conversational flow, which makes for an entertaining read, but does mean that clarity occasionally suffers. I suspect a lot of that comes from the fact that Synth Secrets is a series of magazine articles, rather than a proper book. But, like I said, the information is good if you can get through the presentation, and you can't beat the price.
ghostly neutrino

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, thank you sincerely for your helpful comments!

Citizen Klaus, I am entertaining acquiring the Syntorial software at some point. Hopefully the need to modify general concepts to fit the specific profile of the MS20 won't be too much of brain strain. Am familiar with Gordon Reid's Sound on Sound series to a point; it was one of the first things I came upon when trawling for analog synth info. Don't find the tech speak onerous - certainly less so than reading something on theoretical physics, but similarly I come away thinking I understand it...sort of.

el_Hombre - gracias for the patch compendium. Am grateful for someone here who alluded to examining patching as a way of honing skills in programming.

richbeamPOW - thanks pal, but I can't gain access with those links for some reason. An error code is indicated. Are these different than the 2013 series he has available? I am combing through these slowly, mostly because work and family matters limit my time.

Thanks everyone for your graciousness. Please be kind enough to weigh in with any other sources for developing analog chops as you see fit.

Monday I am hoping to meet up with an engineer who has put together a professional line of analog synth modules. Aside from the reward of a hands on "look-see" I am hoping to expand my network of contacts to gain an intimate understanding of how it all works and how I can make it work like I hear it in my head.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: