Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what synth is VERY different/complementary to Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corgy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferchis wrote:

Aside question: for those who've had any WEIGHTED version of kronos for quite some time, how does the keybed hold? Did you notice any serious signs of wear and tear, malfunction, etc?

Got the 88 version since more than a year. I like the sensitivity of velocity, action of the keys and weight. It comes really close to a true grand piano. I use to play rather fast and rhythmic sequences and had never the impression of a wearing down or technical failures since unboxing the instrument. ... (knock on wood).
phil55

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferchis wrote:
….

Aside question: for those who've had any WEIGHTED version of kronos for quite some time, how does the keybed hold? Did you notice any serious signs of wear and tear, malfunction, etc?

I bought a second hand K-73 last October so I don't know how extensively it was played before I owned it. It has a low serial number. No keybed issues so far

As far as what Keyboard to use to compliment a Kronos, I would suggest a Moog Voyager. That's what I used for a while...
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the new Moog Sub 37, looks amazing to me, I'm thinking my voyager seems a bit dated now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N4xntZbdW0
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobTheDog is right on board with my line of thinking. That Sub 37 is the board I will be going for. Frankly I haven't been this excited for a board since I saw the Kronos release several years ago. Although I do like the prophet12 and new Nord A1 looks nice as well moog is just the tone I really like.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPWC wrote:
I would not recommend the KingKorg or Krome, as QR said, it just more kronos.

The KK does offer something different...

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=81296

(though not really appropriate for what the OP is looking for)
Anukis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john bowen solaris
Fantom G8
Fantom G7
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice question and for me it's an easy answer. There are three synths in my rig that compliment Kronos perfectly:

Jupiter 80: Sounds are as beautiful as Kronos but in a different sort of way. (Disclaimer: I make no prententions about being a techie sort of guy who can explain what the hell I'm talking about) Wink I think that the Jupiter is warmer and the Kronos more "precise."

V-Synth: While the Kronos offers a LOT in the way of experimentation, V-Synth's primary purpose IS experimentation in glorious time tripping strangeness!

Kurzweil PC3: Dude, I can roll my own! Cascade mode and Dynamic VAST are so damned close to a modular it's bliss. Smile
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anukis wrote:
john bowen solaris

When I had a pile of disposable cash 7 months ago I had seriously considered one of these. It seems like a VERY capable instrument but, for the price, I would have expected true analog, not a 12 voice digital emulation. For a few bucks more, I could have gotten a Matrix 12 or a Jupiter 8.

I can't remember if I posted here or at Roland Clan about Solaris, but, there wasn't a lot of response. I've looked on the Solaris forums and what IS cool is that many Solaris users feel that Kronos is the perfect addition to a rig with Solaris. I'd say that is VERY cool. Smile
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
IAA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've "settled" on my studio keyboard rig. Got rid of lots of things and now have kronos x 88, moog minimoog and prophet8. Along with my DAW I cannot think of any sound or combination I cannot create and just having 2 boards and a p8 module to me is so simple. In fact I sampled my favourite moog patches into the K and use those mostly, leaving the moog for special occasions!
Chrutil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Kronos 88 and for me the killer Kronos complement is a modular rack filled with oscillators, filters and sequencers.
Kronos fills all my poly synth needs. I have a Virus KC, but mainly use it as a keyboard controller for the modular and when I want synth action keys for the Kronos.
Korg Kronos 88 #444 /3GB, MU modular synth, PPG Wave 2.3, Modal Electronics 002, TTSH, Oberheim Two Voice Pro, Deckard's Dream, Kijimi, MatrixBrute, Access Virus KC, Ensoniq EPS, Korg Microsampler, Behringer Model D, Behringer Pro~1, Roland JP-08, Roland VP-03, Roland JD-08, Roland TR-8, Akai MPC-X, Roland TD-12 V-Drums, Fender Precision Bass, Martin Custom D Guitar, Sterling JP-60 Guitar, PRS Santana SE Guitar (signed), Logic Pro X, Pulsar P900 Series, Arturia V Collection 6 as well as various iPad & soft synths.
Download the Korg Kronos AL-1/Polysix Graphical Editor
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

About the only thing I have my eye on is Omnisphere.

Regards
Sharp.

Can't go wrong there, Omnisphere rules.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jambo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A moment of weakness - I just purchased a Jupiter 80 to go with my Kronos. The ebay price was right and before I knew it, I won the bid. Nobody around here has one in stock so I'm not sure what I've gotten myself into except that I've embraced the fact that I've got GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) … somebody PLEASE tell me how happy I'm going to be? LOL
fuse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andromeda A6 is a nice complement to the Kronos.
A Prophet 12 could be one as well.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often contemplated this myself. My Motif XS is a good second board, but nothing a little sampling couldn't replace for the handful of sounds it "bests" the Kronos at.

I was truly intrigued with the mininova, especially the great vocoder. Problem is I want a multitimbral, full sized 61 key version. Another want is an Integra workstation with a few less limitations. Unfortunately, they make neither of these.

Also not made, a modern V-synth XT (not GT) keyboard would be cool assuming it still holds up. haven't tried one in awhile.

Considered a controller with a receptor or an iPad running VSTis, but not sure if would cut it for live. I'm trying to avoid racks as I already lug a ton of gear (Like the PA).

Going upscale, a Solaris (When it gets multitimbral enough) would be great. Last if I had to choose a Rack, it would be an SE C.O.D.E. 8 with all the trimmings.

So basically, no one's built what I want to buy yet!
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
My 2 cents... It all depends on what kind of sounds your after.

For bread and butter sounds, you really can't go wrong with the Integra 7. It sounds nothing like a KORG. It's a very different tone and can put any MOTIF to utter shame for bread and butter sounds.

For Synth sounds, silky pads, super leads and basses, the VIRUS Ti2 sounds amazing and again, nothing whatsoever like a KORG.

I'm very lucky to have both the Integra 7 and Ti2 myself, so needless to say I'm extremely happy right now with what I own.

About the only thing I have my eye on is Omnisphere.

Regards
Sharp.

Hi Sharp -

How do you find the Integra? In particular:

- do you find it easy to manage (in terms of the OS, Screen, iPad app, loading SRX boards, accessing programs and so on)

- do you find you're using the presets mostly, or do you program it. In particular, how is it to program - have you experience with the JV2080 or XV5080 (I own both and find them excellent to edit).

I'm interested in the Integra 7 but have fears on these fronts:

1. Access to that number of virtual cards and programs might be unwieldy

2. 128 note polyphony seems limited

3. I worry the OS is not conducive to editing

4. Really annoying that to avail of the surround sound in a DAW environment you need to hook 8 analogue inputs into an audio interface and into computer.

Would welcome your thoughts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: