Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ROLAND FR-8x MIDI Accordion and KORG PA900

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbaggio65

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: ROLAND FR-8x MIDI Accordion and KORG PA900 Reply with quote

Hi,

I am playing a ROLAND FR-8x MIDI Accordion together with a ROLAND BK7m Arranger module. I recently purchased a KORG PA900. Now I am trying to hook up the accordion to the PA900 via MIDI. I tried different configurations, but I can't achieve what I like to do.

The idea is to use the registers on the accordion to select the intros, variations and endings on the PA as well as changing the STS 1-4 settings and use the sounds of the PA 900.

Here my issues, I hope someone can help.

Assigning MIDI channels: As easy as it sounds, it isn't. The default settings for the MIDI accordion doesn't really help. My FR-8x provides different MIDI Channels for the treble side, I assign different channels for the accordion, orchestra 1 and orchestra 2 sound on the build in sounds of the accordion. If I assign channel one as "global" on the PA 900, playing the accordion triggers Upper 1,2 and 3. Nice, but no MIDI Control messages are send through. My MIDI control channel is 13. If I setup MIDI channel 1 to upper 1, the PA900 accepts MIDI commands, at least those to change the sounds. Unfortunate if it does ignores the setup for mute on the PA. Means if I trigger Upper 1, 2 and 3 from my accordion a the same time all voices on the PA 900 will be played regardless if they are muted or not. Any thoughts?

Control Messages: So far I can only change the sounds based on the registers on my FR-8x. I can assign for each register CC#0, CC#32 and the program change parameter. Based on the provided documentation I should be able to trigger a variation change or an STS change. What ever I try, I can't get it to work. Any ideas how to get this fixed?

I hope someone can help and I am sure there will be more questions about the MIDI connections.

Markus
mbaggio65

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Additional Findings Reply with quote

Hi,

I spend some more time over the weekend and today. Here some more findings:

I can indeed send the required MIDI commands to change the intros, variations etc. Unfortunate the MIDI information are send on the same channel as the information for the notes, in my case channel 1.

So if I set on my PA900 the receiving channel 1 to control I can change the variations, but I can't play a tone. If I change it to Upper 1 I can play sound, but I can't change the variations. Probably a dead end Sad

I case I ever figure it out I will post it, if someone knows a solution (configuration) or hardware, please let me know.

Markus
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Roland FR-8X User Manual page 112 ...

16.1 Real Time RX-TX

The table on page p. 22 specifies the default MIDI channel assignments the FR-8x uses. Those choices are based on how most accordion players
prefer to use their instrument. You can, however, change the MIDI channel assignments.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: