Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem copying song book to Floppy Disk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa1X - Pa1Xpro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charley Brown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Problem copying song book to Floppy Disk Reply with quote

Hello Pete or anyone else?

I would like to copy my Song Book and Custom Song list to a Floppy Disk. Problem is when I press the 'Disk' button the Hard Disk is undetected and the message "unknown format" appears. At the same time a different devise is automatically assigned such as FD instead of HD.

I have read the manual instruction on how to "Copy" page number 237 or 268 depending on which edition you look at.

Keep in mind that all of the songs are accessible when going thru the Song Book Button and play just fine it's just that the folder does not display when I push the "Disk" button. And so this prevents me from making a copy. Can anyone help? Any ideas? Thanks ~ Charley Brown
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charley

This doesn't sound good but try a process of elimination (if not done already)

1. Perform a backup of your data SET to FD/HD (i.e. can you do this? - a normal full SET save to disk?)
2. Do all the other functions related to DISK mode work (rename files/create folders etc....)?
3. Which seems to work OK - FD or HD or neither?
4. Also try a "get info" on those devices and see what it does.
5. Can you actually see files/folders on the disks you would expect to see?

Let's go from there

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Charley Brown

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Problem copying Song Book to floppy Disk Reply with quote

Hello Pete. Thanks for getting back to me: I will try your suggestions and let you know how I make out. Thanks again Charley Brown
Charley Brown

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Problem copying Song Book from Hard Drive Reply with quote

Hello Pete:
As you know, I would like to access the ‘Song Book’ on the Hard Drive so that I can save it to a Floppy Disk. I would like to transfer this file to another KB.
But when I press Disk/Load and then HD, I see only a blank page. The "Open", "close" and "load" are grayed out.
I can, however, find the "Song Book" listed if I press the ‘Disk” button then press the Save tab where upon the SSD appears with the 'All' folder listed > only then will it show a list of folders such as (Global, Pad, perform, Song Book, Sound, Style) but I cannot copy the Song Book from there and it automatically flips back to FD/Load..
I can, however, access all Sounds, styles, performances and Song Book when I want to play the PA1x. Everything seems to function as normal except I cannot access the files on the Hard Drive by going thru the "Disk" button.

As per your suggestion
1. I'm uncertain of procedure but I cannot seem to perform ‘back up’ as per “a normal full set save to disk” because I cannot access anything under HD. I show only a blank page.
2. Functions related to Disk mode do not work. I cannot ”Rename” a set or make a “ New set” When I try I get the same message “Media Format Unknown”
3. If I put in a floppy disk it does load, show and function correctly
4. I cannot “ get device info” under HD it shows nothing and I receive the same message “Media Format Unknown”
5. No, I cannot actually see files/folders on the “Disk” that I would normally see. But, as noted above, I can see folders/files when I press “Disk” and then the save tab but I cannot copy the Song Book this way. When I try it flips back to FD
6. Do you think I should I try to re- format the Hard Drive??? How does it get formated in the first place?

As a last resort ~
I hate to do it, Pete, but do you think I should try to reinstall the OS? Keep in mind that I have two separate PA1X’s. I use one as a backup and for practice and the other to play out. I do have a functioning copy of my old “song List” on my practice KB, but it is outdated and so I wanted to update it with the song list from the other one that I use to Play out. I have added many more songs on the one that I use to play out. So problem is that I cannot make a copy of my updated “Song Book” which is on one KB # 1 so that I transfer it to the other KB #2.
Sorry for being so lengthy ~ Hope you don't get lost in the detail.
Thanks again ~ Charley Brown
wittid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the disc drive is defect.
Why don´t you transfer the files via USB to your PC and then save to a disc or an USB-Stick?
I think it´s the most easiest way to transfer the data.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Charley Brown

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Problem copying Song Book to Floppy disk from Hard Drive Reply with quote

Hello Wittid:

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll give it a try and hopefully be able to save the Song Book. Once I have a copy of my Song Book then I will be more free to experiment with out fear of losing all my hard work.

With out knowing, what would be your best guess, Software or Hardware problem?

If I reinstall the OS will I lose access to the TC Helicon upgrade, and if I do can I get it back?

Thanks ~ Charley Brown
Charley Brown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Problem copying Soong Book to Floppy Disk Reply with quote

Hello again Wittid:

Yes, as per your suggestion I tried to access the Hard Disk via USB. On my PC I received the same message "Format Unknown. When I tried a 2nd time, I received message that Disk needed to be formatted and " Would I like to format Disk" ie via PC and I did not. I then disconnected from the computer.

I wanted to see what options would present with in the PA1X. The keyboard presents two options, "Quick format" or " Full Format". When I clicked execute' "Quick Format " I received message " If you confirm, all data on the HD will be lost. Are you sure?" I stopped and did not go any further.

At this point what would be your advice Wittid, Pete, or anyone?

Thanks again ~ Charley Brown
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charley

For some reason it is looking like your HD is corrupted.
Of course "formatting" will delete all data - this may now be your only choice.
Do you have your data backed up on your PC already?

Can you still save your data to FD?

Pete Very Happy

P.S. If formatting actually works I personally would be concerned that I have a faulty HD (as suggested by Wittid).
Might be worth getting an new HD.
Charley Brown

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Pete and Wittid:

Thanks for your input. In order to have a better understanding I do have three questions.

Could either of you shed light on exactly what data is stored on the SSD vs. HD. The reason I ask is because I'm puzzled as to why my PA1X Pro seems to be functioning and accessing all styles, sounds and also including entries I made in my song book while I cannot access the HD via the HD Button per say. It's as if it doesn't exist or cannot be recognized.

This problem makes me wonder about the difference between the PA1X vs the PA1X Pro which has, as I am told, added a Hard Disk Drive. It seems that my PA1X Pro might be functioning like a PA1X with out a Hard Disk Drive.

So if I format the HD, which will delete all data on it, what ramifications will it have on the other storage facilities? What is stored where? Where is my modified "Song Book" stored? Will it also delete data in associated storage facilities?

If not then I have less to risk in going ahead with a format of the HD. And if not then what is the purpose/advantage having a Hard Disk Drive to begin with?

What am I missing? Please fill in the blanks

Thanks again for your help ~ Charley Brown
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charley

Firstly, I am going to assume that you do not rely on your HD and FD for "DIRECT" style playing - if you don't know what this means then I am sure you don't use it - you have to go out of your way to set this up...

If that is correct, then your FD and HD are purely storage devices on which you save your PA1XPro SETs, MIDI files etc..etc..

Whether that drive is there or not will not affect your PA1Xpro.

There are some "BUTs"......
If you are playing sounds which use USER samples, play styles which are part of DIRECTFD/HD then your drive has to be accessible.

The SSD (solid state drive) aptly named as it has no moving parts is part of the internal makeup of the PA1X. It comprises all the factory and USER data (except user samples) and is non-volatile (i.e. maintains the data after power off) - this is why your PA1X carries on working.....

(Also, my understanding is that your FD is working OK.)

OK to the point - if you format your HD then ALL data on it will be deleted - if you know that you have critical data saved on the HD then you should look at using some recovery tools (on your PC) to attempt recovering your data BEFORE you format.
I would also be suspicious that your HD is in fact safe for future use - personally, I would replace it even if it does reformat OK, but then I am paranoid about losing data.

Hope this helps a little

Pete Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa1X - Pa1Xpro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: