Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making your Own Sounds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Making your Own Sounds Reply with quote

A question was asked on the forum about making your own sounds. I've made this a new topic because the original question was about aftertouch.
First let me state that I am not an expert by any means so don't treat this as any sort of authority on the subject. I don't read the manual and I'm no software/sound wiz. Any knowledge comes simply by trying different things in Sound Mode so I encourage everyone not to be afraid of experimenting.
If you have Factory Sound protected under Media, Preferences then you can't really muck things up.
Anyway if you have fully backed up your current setup (Save All) again you can always restore to an earlier point.
The question asked was how can you have an Orchestra Hit readily available while playing another Brass sound. Here was a solution:
Go to Sound Mode and choose a sound say Tight Brass 3, Exit to see main page.
On this main page the only things I ever find useful to change are the Cutoff (which affects the brightness on the sound) and Effects Levels (say Reverb). Lets move on.
The Menu Button opens up a whole world of possibilities – a little overwhelming at first – but when you look at the different parts it is not that complicated.
Press Menu then press Basic. Here is where it gets interesting. If you are at the first Tab (Sound Basic) you can see what makes this sound work. First you will notice for this sound (Tight Brass 3) it is made using two Oscillators (Oscillator Count 2) and the numbers on the right hand side allow you to choose them individually once you choose the Osc Basic tab at the bottom. So Tight Brass 3 consists of two Oscillators and two different Multisamples. Go to the Osc Basic Tab and have a look at the names of the Multisamples being used. You will see at the top it is using sample 324 Brass Ensemble 1 and if you touch number 2 on the right-hand side you will see the name of the second multisample (325 Brass Ensemble 2). Changing to a different multisample is as simple as touching the number (325) and moving the dial – but lets not go there at this stage.
Our mission was to add Orchestra Hit to the Brass Sound. How do we do this?
Well we need more than the 2 Oscillators currently available to us.
So, go back to the Sound Basic tab at the bottom and where it says Ocillator Count 2, touch it and move your dial and change it to 4. (We need two more Oscillators to allow room for the two different Orchestra Hits I want to add).
So now we have 2 empty Oscillators. Lets put something we want in them.
The easiest way to fill an Oscillator is to Copy it from another sound that is the same or near to what you want. To do this you simply use the drop down menu in the top right-hand corner. Touch the little arrow and here you will see that one of the options is to Copy Oscillator. Touch this and now you will see the Copy Oscillator Menu (From Sound, From Osc number, To Osc number).
The default will be you current sound (Tight Brass 3) but we don't want that. Touch the Tight Brass 3 button and now you can choose any sound to work from. The one I want is under the GM2/XG tab at the top. Touch it and choose Ensemble, Page 2, Orchestra Hit, Exit. Now you can see we are copying from Orchestra Hit GM.
Now we want to copy from Osc 1 to our new Osc 3, so change the To Oscillator to a 3.
OK, Yes.
Touch the top right drop down menu again and choose Copy Oscillator.
This time change it to From Oscillator 2 and To Oscillator 4. OK. Yes.
We are nearly there. If you play the sound now you will notice that all Oscillators play at the same time. We don't want this. We want to be able to choose to play the hit say only when we press Assignable 1 or 2. Lets do that.
Go to the Osc Basic tab at the bottom. Towards the bottom of the page you will see OSC Trigger Mode. In other words what causes the note to play – a normal note press – maybe Aftertouch, maybe an Assignable Switch. You can choose here.
Lets leave Oscillators 1 and 2 as they were (Normal). Go to Oscillator 3 by touching the 3 on the right-hand side. Change Normal to Sound Controller 1. (Touch the Mode and change to Sound Controller 1).
Go now to Oscillator 4 and this time Change Normal to Sound Controller 2.
We are getting close.
Problem is still that if you hold down the Assignable Switches the Hits work but the original Brass sound is still sounding. Here is how to fix this.
Choose Oscillator 1 (at the right-hand side) and at the bottom you will see “OSC Off when sound controllers are on” Tick this.
Do the same for Oscillator 2.
Thats it!!! We have our Sound.
To Save/Write the sound you have created just use the top right drop down menu and choose Write Sound. Touch the “T” to give it a new name (say Brass+Hit AS1&2) Touch the Select to choose a User Location for it, Exit, OK, Yes.

The Orch Hit we added was the GM one which is a little boring.
To really spice things up I suggest you go back to Osc Basic tab choose Oscillator 3 and at the top of the page you can change it from 719 Orchestra Hit GM L to 718 Orchestra Hit 2.
Now go to Oscillator 4 and change it from 720 Orchestra Hit GM R to 717 Orchestra Hit 1.
Drop down Menu, Write Yes. Done!!!!
Even if you don't use this sound you might well have learned a lot in making it!!!
Cheers,
John
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Reuben:

Exellent explanation, really didactic.- Well done.-
Thanks for sharing.-
With regards. Eduardo
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your clear hands on explanation.
It's indeed very helpful.

One suggestion maybe: before turning up the number of oscillators, lower the volume slide A LOT.
It happened to me one time that I almost blew my ears of my head.
Don't know exactly what happened or (probably) what I did wrong, but the sound was REALLY loud.

Please, keep up the good work! Cool

Play in style. Wink
SamAdams

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Reuben,
What a good explanation! I printed it on paper and put it right in my private Korg-Knowledgebase.

Because you are obviously very familiar with sound editing on the PA900, I thought it would be ok to address my question right to you:

I would like to create a similar Sax Sound as in the Song “Jubel” by Klingade (see youtube link). Especially this fantastic growl around 43 seconds after the song has started. Do you have any idea on how to create such a growl by editing one of the factory sax sounds of the PA900?

Thanks Helmut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6vSf0cA9qY
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmut,
I have made a sound like this in the past so I will share it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4m61yx850piuxfh/AACvt2lDh7dwD4IoK0fwwKEGa
Unzip the file and load the Set file on your Pa keyboard. By default the sound will load to User 1 position 1 but you have the option to load it where you like by choosing Open, Sound, User1, touch the Sound Name and Load, touch Select and choose where you want to put the Sound.
The sound uses no Ram at all - it is made from factory sounds. Also it has no global settings so will not upset your current setup.
When you press Assignable 2 button the growl comes in on the Sax.
As always its best to do a Save All before loading anything new on your keyboard.
Best,
John
(PS Don't fall for the Winzip scam. Windows Explorer will open any zip file by right-clicking it and choosing Open With... Windows Explorer.)
SamAdams

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Reuben,

I would really like to hear your sax. Unfortunatelly I cannot download the file from dropbox because I am not a registered user of it. Could you attach the file to a reply of this post? That would make life much easier for me. Otherwise I have to become a registered user of dropbox.

Thanks again

Helmut
BillyHank

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmut,

You do not need to be a registered user of drop box to download.

I am not a registered user and just downloaded the file using the posted link. Very Happy

Bill G
SamAdams

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bill: I tried the download again with Firefox instead IE and it worked this time.

@Reuben: Many thanks Reuben, the Sound is super and exactly what I needed. Very Happy

Helmut
Snorkum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Reuben:

Sweet SAX sound.
Thanks
BillyHank

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmut,

Glad it worked for you - sorry I didn't mention that I was using Firefox.

Always a good thing to try fifferent browsers some times.

Bill G
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: