Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Very Basic Electribe EMX-1 Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plexxx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Very Basic Electribe EMX-1 Questions Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm new here, I just joined because I'm interested in purchase of a EMX-1. I've been into electronic music for 15 years and toyed with some software in the past (fruityloops, etc) but never got any hardware. I find hardware much more interesting than software and I'm ready to take the plunge on some and invest more in this hobby.

So, I had a few basic questions I couldn't find clear answers to.

If I get the EMX-1 do I have to buy a keyboard amp or could a guitar amp be used?

Can I use my headphones without any AMP?

How can I record the output from the EMX-1 into my laptop?

Can I connect a MIC to the EMX-1 and do some voice distortion?

Thanks in advance,

Nick
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An amp would be the wrong way to go entirely. you want stereo studio monitors, or at least a decent home cinema/hi-fi//pc speaker set.
guitar amps are a complete no, unless you are going for a specific sound. guitar amps distort and colour the sound in other ways too, and they're designed to make guitars sound good. you could always connect one to the auxillary outputs for routing lead sounds to.

and yes, you can use headphones, there is a built in headphone amp section for the dedicated headphone output socket. the headphone socket is 1/4in jack though so if you are wanting to use mp3 player head- or ear- phones then you will need an adaptor.

you can also input various kinds of input, from guitar to a microphone. you will need a preamp for condensor mics though, and again an adaptor if you have an XLR cable. you would be better off with a dedicated processor for vocals specifically though.

to record into your PC, you will need to make a connection. the best way to go is to invest in a USB or Firewire audio interface, otherwise you will need some adaptor and 'splitter' cables (Actually, stereo TRS 3.5mm jack to two mono TS 1/4 in jack. or to two mono RCA cables with an adaptor - these are easier to find than the 1/4in to 3.5mm cables) to go into the line-in (NOT mic-in) socket on your sound card/motherboard.
there are some decent cheap USB-Audio interfaces/adaptors, like behringer's UCA202. these have RCA connectors though so you will still need an adaptor
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
plexxx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on your reply I guess the Electribe has an amplifier and I can use a set of powered stereo speakers like you would on a PC?

Could I also hook it up to my stereo receiver using RCA cables?

I'm set with headphones, I have a nice pair of Sony V6 studio monitors.

Thanks
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. but all the connections on the EMX and ESX etc are 1/4in jack connections so you will need adaptors for RCA.

some PC and HiFi amplifiers/speakers have RCA input, others will have a 3.5mm stereo jack (where left and right are on different parts of the same pin), so as I said you need to get a cable that goes to two mono jacks - one for left and one for right. Same as you would use to connect to your PC Line In. and as I've already said it is actually easier to find one with two RCA jacks on one end and the 3.5mm stereo jack on the other and get two RCA > 1/4in adaptor, rather than finding a cable with 2x 1/4in and 1x 3.5mm.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Stuka

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, i also wish to record my patterns from my electribe to software program i have a focusrite scarlett 2i2 interface. as you explain you need a audio jack to 2 mono jack this is maby a bit stupid but so you have to connect the audio jack to the interface guitar input ? i thought this was a mono input sorry if this is a stupid question but this is my first recording true interface thanks ahead
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: