Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Programming revisited - Advanced
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 9:55 am    Post subject: Programming revisited - Advanced Reply with quote

Hi Boys and Girls.

Time for another tutorial.
This time were going for a very commercial and typical dance sound. This tutorial is going to be bit long and a bit more difficult. And only too right at this point. It’s time to start stepping up the level of these tutorials from now on, and I intend to bring this right to the limit over time. Consider this as the introductory tutorial to other and better tricks. Why ??…Because your going to have to use everything that was in all the other tutorials plus a few new things to pull this tutorial off. And just to really get everyone going. Your going to do this is step record mode and event edit mode.

Step 1: The Drums.
Select your preferred drum kit, and set Track 1 2 and 3 to the same kit.
Now go to page 5, and from the pull down menu select “Step Recording”. This will bring you into the Step recording mode for “Track 1”. Set the Velocity  to 127 and the note value to  Now press the Bass Drum Key 4 times. And press “Done”. Change the highlighted track to 2 please. And again enter back into step record mode. The note we neet to use will be remembered from the last settings, so press “rest”. Then press the Snare Drum Key once, then followed by “Rest” and the Snare Drum Key once more. Press Done. Change the selected track to 3 now please, and enter back into the step record mode again. This time please set the note value to  and press the closed hi hat key once. Now change the note value to  and press the closed hi hat key twice. Now please repeat the above two steps 3 more times. So your going to program in a hi hat beat that looks exactly like this

Press done to exit.
Please play back your sequence now and you call hear out drum loop playing back. NOTE: At any time in Step mode if you press the wrong key, simply press the “Back Step” button to undo your mistake.

Right, now that we have our Loop running. Please loop Measure 1 so the loop will continue playing. Once that’s done, please adjust all 3 tracks volume to your own taste, this will allow you to get the balance right. Once your happy..lets move on to the bass track.

Step 2: The Bass.
Select your favourite bass sound for track 4 and then go to page 5 and enter the “Step Recording” Mode to record the bass track. Set the note value to  and the C1 Key (it’s the lowest note on the 61 key Triton). Now set the note value to and press C2 twice. Please repeat those two steps 3 more times to program in the following pattern.  

When finished press done to exit, and please listen to what you’ve just programmed. You should still have the loop set, so what you programmed will stay constantly playing. Great…time to move on again.

Step 3: The Gate.
Please copy the contents of your Hi Hat Track into track 5.
Once you have that done, from the pull down menu enter into the Event Edit mode. You should see all the notes you played for the bass track on the screen for Track 5. You not need to change every note you see on the screen to a CC# Value. And we need to change it to CC#07 So touch the note on the screen, and enter in 129 on the key pad, on the Trinity this will change the Note to CTRL, it should be the same for the Triton, but if it’s not, start at 127 and keep going up until you find the number that does get you directly to CTRL. When you have it to CTRL set the C:000 to C:007 and the volume Value from 000 to Value 127. Now do that for every single note you see on the screen. When completed press done.

Please copy the contents of Track 5 into track 6, and go back into the Event Edit mode on Track 6. Now change all the 127 Volumes to 40. We now need to add the offbeat of the Gate effect so where you see BT 01:000 and a load of other values under it, you need to add 00.030 to each one of those, so off you go add 00.030 to each one. When completed, press Done. Finally using the bounce track feature bounce track 6 into 5 to merge your CC# data. To show you what you just did, select Track 5 and press the start button. You should only hear the drum track and the Bass track. Play the Chord of C. Cool or what ?? you have the same famous gate effect programmed that it will do whatever you do. Now go back to track 6 and record a C chord for the full measure, and bounce it into track 5 to perfectly mix the chord with the CC data.

Step 4: The rift.
Lets keep this dead simple. Using Track 7 and “Step Recording” set the note value to  and the Note Length to 40. Once you have that done, play C3 then C4. Please repeat that 7 more times. When completed press done. You should select something like a saw wave for this sound. ( you can expand in this if you want )

Step 5: Finishing touches.
Effects, effects, effects. Yes…go nuts and add what every you like to your short little sequence. But here’s a tip. The MFX…set the Hi Gain to +4.5 and the Low to +3.0.
Also use the Stereo 7 Band Graphic on the drum kit, and set the 80Hz to +3.5, 220Hz to +6.5, 6.3Khz to 3.5 and 16Khz to +4.

THE END.

Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Programming revisited - Advanced Reply with quote

Quote:
It’s time to start stepping up the level of these tutorials from now on

Damn, you're gorgeous  ;D

Thank you !!!
Mastermalleus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Programming revisited - Advanced Reply with quote

Great Sharp!
This makes all the work with Triton Field manual feel obsolete... Or... Could I add your tutorials to the next volume? That would be great!!

Mastermalleus
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Programming revisited - Advanced Reply with quote

Hi Mastermalleus.
Sure you can. Fell free to add whatever you like. I know I was supposed to type up a load of stuff for it anyway… but as always I got sidetracked with work. I’m going to be really steeping up the difficulty level of these tutorials from now on, so they should make good reading.

Regards.
Sharp.

Departure_Gate

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Programming revisited - Advanced Reply with quote

Yup, I have to agree, very nicely done. I am looking forward to reading other tutorials, prefereably more advanced. I have to 'port' the tutorials for use on my Karma, but the gist of it is the same.

These keyboards (Karma,Triton etc) are very customizable. It's like you could look at the custom patches in one of these babys, and tell who owns it. I'm noticing that all my stock patches are flying by the wayside, and being replaced by electronic goodies, which reflects the style of music I like to make... (Beep, boop, wah wah, hehehe)  
Do you guys find that with your boards as well ?

-tim
dzm

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Programming revisited - Advanced Reply with quote

Ha Ha Jim,  ;D

I bought Sharp's Classic from him a few months back. There weren't a lot of factory sounds left as you can imagine and there were quite a few dancey ones... precisely what Sharp spends most of his time doing! So I hear you.  Smile

dzm
dzm

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Programming revisited - Advanced Reply with quote

tim,

sorry about the Jim, but I read that  post pretty damn quickly!  :-X

dzm
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Programming revisited - Advanced Reply with quote

Well that was fun  Smile

I just went through the Tutorial on my Triton and thought I'd share a few thoughts maybe best suited to people like myself less familiar with the sequencer.

* When entering the snare part when you press that Rest button, don't expect to see anything on the screen   Wink

* Where it says make the measure 1 loop, you do that from Page 0 on the Preferences tab by enabling the option called Loop All Tracks.

* Where it says entering 129 in Event Edit will change the note message to a control message, it does indeed do that.

* When entering the chord for the gate, a C minor chord is the chap to use.

* When entering the notes for the bassline, the lowest C note on the Triton 61 came up as C2 on my machine.

Here is what the tutorial sounds like if anyone is interested :

http://www.irishacts.com/Daz/SharpTut.mp3

Very useful, thanks Sharp, I learned some interesting stuff and also I got to have a play on the Triton Seq. Still prefer Logic though  Wink

Daz.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Programming revisited - Advanced Reply with quote

By the way I introduced those extra bass notes, 'cos it was driving me crackers listening to same measure over and over whilst setting up the effects Smile

If anyone needs a .sng, I can give you one if you like, although they may defeat the purpose of the exercise possibly.

Daz.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Programming revisited - Advanced Reply with quote

Ahh… Nice one Daz.
Sounds great.
Rock On Man  Cool
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Programming revisited - Advanced Reply with quote

Two useful things I learned about the sequencer :

1) In Step Recording mode pressing the 'Pause' button temporarily lets you play the keyboard freely without entering any notes. Pressing 'Pause' again, lets you continue step recording. Very handy when try to find the next drum hit note for example.

2) After adding .030 to the beat tick in the second track of gating data, I forgot to set the volume to zero for each event before bouncing track 6 into track 5. I used the 'Compare' key to undo my mistake. I then set the volumes to 0 in the track 6 data and redid the bounce down. Thanks Compare key !

Daz.
Departure_Gate

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Programming revisited - Advanced Reply with quote

"Thanks Compare key ! "

Is it right about there where you look straight into the camera, holding both thumbs up in the air, and the little sheen on your smiling teeth goes "Chiiiiing!" (and maybe a wink for good measure)

lol
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Programming revisited - Advanced Reply with quote

LOL, thats about the measure of it  Wink

Daz.
Departure_Gate

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Programming revisited - Advanced Reply with quote

I have only had my Karma for a couple months, but I have some other 'tips' to add to this post that I found very helpful.

Instead of changing the CTRL to a 007, change it to 011. This allows you to control the overall volume of the track from the main program screen, while still maintaining the gate effect. When CTRL is 007, it controls the absolute volume of the track, so you can't turn it down or up.

Numero 2
"We now need to add the offbeat of the Gate effect so where you see BT 01:000 and a load of other values under it, you need to add 00.030 to each one of those, so off you go add 00.030 to each one. "

This can be accomplished by opening the quantize screen for that track on your respective keyboard, remember to set the starting and ending measure, set the resolution to HI, the Intensity to 100%, and setting the Offset to +30. This effectively moves every note in the selection +30 ticks to the right.

Sorry if I am sticking my nose in too far for a newbie, but those are dang handy for doing many other things as well.

Surprised -Tim

Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Programming revisited - Advanced Reply with quote

Thanks, Tim, both those tips are exceptionally useful  Cool

Daz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Classic Threads All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: