Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking about giving up on my Krome...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Congrats, I'll have to check out the pa600, might be what I'm also looking for.
gamhazell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a couple hundred dollars more to spend you can look into one of the more decked out korg pa keyboards.
maranite

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: For what it's worth... Reply with quote

I bought a Krome a month ago and think its a great board for the price. Sure, there are tons of Kronos owners who turn their noses up, but the Krome gives all the things that you'll actually use at a very reasonable price.

I didn't experience any of the keybed problems mentioned elswhere on this forum, and with KromeOS 1.0.3 loaded, there are no clipping or sound problems either.

I found the interface confusing at first, mostly because you expect it to work like a tablet / PC, but it's neither - it's a workstation... it's designed to hide complexity from you when performing / doodling, but to make every last parameter available if you want to sculpt your own sounds.

Don't get me wrong... the Krome doesn't come close to a DAW, but that is specifically why I bought one... I got fed up with mucking around with software when what I really wanted to do was make music. The Krome is a great workstation for this.

Things I didn't like:
* The sequencer is really fiddly. Korg could easily have made this part of the UI better.
* The onboard samples don't merit the boasted 3.4GB of ROM.
* The media UI (loading/saving) could have been simpler.
* 120 voice polyphony, which is actually 40 voice when using stereo, dual oscillator voices. This sounds like a lot of polyphony, but you'll be surprised how quickly you can exhaust this.

Things I did like:
* Like many Korgs, being able to select patches by bank or by category - this is a real winner.
* The dual arppagiators and dedicated drum track, along with thousands of editable patterns is brilliant.
* The ability to climb in and sculpt absolutely any part of a program... nothing is off limits.
* The sound engine is really versatile - I think the on-board patches barely scratch the surface of what the engine is capable of. Dan Stesco has proven this with has Killer sound pack.
* The "Tone Adjust" feature makes it easy to modify programs without wading around in the internals of the patch.
jnaut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: For what it's worth... Reply with quote

maranite wrote:
Sure, there are tons of Kronos owners who turn their noses up, but the Krome gives all the things that you'll actually use at a very reasonable price.

And yet I'm not really sure I understand why.

The Krome (88 key) is a ~$1500 workstation. The Kronos is a ~$4000 workstation. They're in different classes.

The Kronos looks amazing to me, but as a beginning keyboard player I just couldn't justify spending $4000 on a board that would probably so far exceed my abilities that 85% of it would have been wasted on me.

Even the Krome is vastly powerful workstation, and after doing my research, did quite a bit more than almost anything else in its price range.

To me, comparing the kronos to the krome is a bit like saying, "I really preferred the Lamborghini Aventador over the Audi RS7
Ricky_jcr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: For what it's worth... Reply with quote

jnaut wrote:

The Kronos looks amazing to me, but as a beginning keyboard player I just couldn't justify spending $4000 on a board that would probably so far exceed my abilities that 85% of it would have been wasted on me.

Agree 100%. I'm a very hands-on kind of player. I play the more traditional sort of music(not electronic or techno), so I prefer to do the arps manually.

I bought the Krome because of one simple reason:

Sometimes, all you need to do is keep it simple, and play good music. You need to feel the love come back to you from the keyboard. Which is exactly why I'd ALWAYS go for hardware over software, no matter how good the latter might be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: