Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick question - oscillator sync

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Quick question - oscillator sync Reply with quote

Hey guys, I have a KingKorg here on trial and have been explorimg the possibilities. Am I correct in concluding that there is no oscillator syncing? I've seen the "sync-ish sounding" ones like sync saw etc, but no actual sync?

Additionally, is it possible to assign an envelope to one oscillator specifically? Or are they always on all three simultaneously?
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KK offers soc sync and has pre-defined types of virtual oscillators for that.
They work like the oscillator syncing you know, just with more ease, because you don't have to do the basic sync setup (master/slave etc.).

Just scroll through the osc types and have a look at the very easy to read manual.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping I would have the master slave setup, because I don't seem to be able to do the usual sync tricks like adjusting the pitch of the master to get some screaming and gargling.
I may be missing something. I hate manuals but I suppose it's time to look at this one Smile
Lando2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each osc have one or two control parameters with different functions.

Im not sure if the sync oscillators have one or two control parameters (im on holiday and far away of my KK), but you can set the pitch with one of it and you can also modulate it by installing a virtual patch.

I hope that helps.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked the manual but I'm not in my work room currently, so it's a little hard to imagine. It says there is only a control 1 for the sync ones, but oddly that control is supposed to act on the pitch of the SLAVE. I'll try when I get back to the synth but it seems entirely pointless if I'm reading it right.
Lando2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, then you have to modulate control 1 to get the typical syncsounds. I dont know much about the theory of hardsync, if you have to pitchmodulate master or slave on "normal" synths, but i think the KK concept of hardsync with master and slave in one oscillator is quiet easy. And you have two oscillators left!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct, altering the pitch of the slave in a sync setup will create changes mostly in tone.
If you want to change the master, it will result in a percieved change of pitch.

I guess there would be some unusual effects at the extremes. In which case you would want to apply positive modulation to pitch and negative modulation to osc control 1, or vice versa, to cancel out the pitch tracking of the slave osc if there isn't a setting to turn that off.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it! Had it mixed up in my head. As you pointed out correctly, the pitch altering of the slave osc is what gets me the desired effect. Next time I'm at my JX or Voyager I'll set it up manually and try to get it clear.

So, it was there all along, d'oh!
baD mR fRosTy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How tweakable is the ring modulator?

I am hoping I can assign a pitch envelope to one osc and use it for the lion roars I used to get on my EG'd CS-40M, which is lying amongst my broken and "next-to-be repaired" pile.

I like ring modulator tweaking, and I associate it more
with screams and growls and atonal banshee shrieks that I do sync.

Sync makes me think if either that cars song, or the Van Hager tune!

We shall see. Had it doing some fun things at the store. Have a new KK coming tommorrow, decided not to buy the demo, even for a couple bucks off. Gawd knows whose dirty little hand have played it, and where they've been!
The guy said "it was mostly you!"...

I said "see what I mean??"

Can't wait. Even if it doesn't do half the things my analogues do, it will take a lot of stress off sessions when I'm waiting for the JP-6 to tune up, ....or when I flick on my old Mono-Poly, like I did the other day, and it had 3 missing notes!

This KK, I have already played it enough that it will be a nice addition, even without certain capabilities. No one analog does it all, either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: