Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help modifying a combi after choosing to record.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordaedalus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Need help modifying a combi after choosing to record. Reply with quote

First let me say that I feel like a complete idiot trying to navigate my way around this machine (the Krome, that is) ... nowhere in the electronics industry is the lack of accessibility to the expertise of the original designers more glaring than in the keyboard and synthesizer field. If I'm mistaken, I'd appreciate ANY and all links or references y'all could give me to help me learn about the finer nuances of operation.

Anyway, my current problem is this: I have a combi that I've chosen from the presets that I want to record with, so I hit the record button and it sets it up automatically. What I'm trying to figure out is how to "activate" the tracks that are currently muted and/or unused by the combi.

I try simply unmuting the track and switching to it, but no sound is produced, in spite of an instrument being selected and volume levels appearantly normal. I'm stumped, but I need to add more sounds and I can't figure out another way. Please help!!!
roger2600
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides unmutting the other timbres you also have to change the midi channel to the global midi channel in order for that timbre to make sound, so in combi mode before you hit record go to P3 timbre param and change all the timbres you want to hear sound from to a channel that is followed by a G or says Gch. the combi will only play on the global channel. Usually this is channel 1 unless you changed it.
Email Rogerpc3@gmail.com to order.
jggiano

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Midi Channels Reply with quote

The above modifications can be done on PAGE 3 / Track Parameters--in case you haven't already found it.
Ricky_jcr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as to navigating through the menu, relax Smile

Its always hard for anyone who's new to the Krome. Heck I've had it for a few weeks, and let me tell you, don't be afraid to tweak the knobs and menu, and experiment with the FX. Its defo the best and easiest way to get comfy with the Krome UI.
And if you don't understand the meanings of some terms (most of them in my case), look up the Krome Parameter Guide Appendix. In fact, read through the Manuals with your keyboard in front of you.

You'll get used to it within a few weeks, so just enjoy making music! Smile
doctordaedalus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the attempt and helping me relax lol ... the thing that's making me crazy is just the pure lack of explanation that is offered up front.

Like right now, I'm having a new problem.

I have the combi that I want to record with, and I took the advice given here to allow one of the previously "silent" tracks to make sound, but it seems to have a really blah sound, compared to the rest of the combi. So I try to explore and understand, I see the guitar sound that's already in the cobi sounds great, has a nice echo and stuff. But then when I play on that track, lots of other tracks eq lines light up, so are they playing too? Those lines also light up when I play the chords on the low end of the keyboard, but that makes a completely different sound, and I don't even hear the guitar sound there? So why are they connected?? I also tried to "look" at the ifx of the combi, and there's actually stuff there, but the chart of 5 effects pointing to differnt tracks (some of which are muted by default?) may or may not affect the sound, I have no way of knowing, but nothing hints at an "echo" or "reverb" effect ... to top it all off, when I try to record from scratch, I go to that same ifx menu area, and I can't really get anything to happen! Like, WHERE are these mysterious effects that show up in combis?

I dunno, I'm losing my mind, in over my head here I think. Especially stressed since I'm actually getting paid to make music with this thing and I'm on a deadline thats quickly approaching.

<relaxing>

so what I'm saying is ... How do I take an "effect" that is "applied" to one track and apply it to another track in the same combi?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly suggest you read the Operation Manual. Everything you're looking for is in there and it will give you a good overview of the internal workings of the Krome. You can simply google Korg Krome Operation Guide.
doctordaedalus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or! The question I probably should have asked originally ...

I'm messing with the Goldfield combi (C-56).

What I WANT to do is record the rythem and synth chords by themselves, then go back and record the guitar melody, then the harmonica melody, seperately, while also being able to go back and re-record those tracks if I need to, without overwriting the recorded chords/rythems.

What's HAPPENING is that it's all the trans seem linked in a way that is magical and mysterious to me, and the only way i can record any facet of the cobi is to choose overdub, then re-record the whole arrangement from scratch every time i screw up. LOL (not the funny kind, the crazy, twitchy eyed kind.) please help.
jggiano

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm understanding your explanation correctly, have you tried using the "Preferences" tab at the bottom of the display, and then UNcheck the "Multi REC" box. I hope this helps.
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doctordaedalus wrote:
Or! The question I probably should have asked originally ...

I'm messing with the Goldfield combi (C-56).

What I WANT to do is record the rythem and synth chords by themselves, then go back and record the guitar melody, then the harmonica melody, seperately, while also being able to go back and re-record those tracks if I need to, without overwriting the recorded chords/rythems.

What's HAPPENING is that it's all the trans seem linked in a way that is magical and mysterious to me, and the only way i can record any facet of the cobi is to choose overdub, then re-record the whole arrangement from scratch every time i screw up. LOL (not the funny kind, the crazy, twitchy eyed kind.) please help.

Hello ,
Using copy from combi, have many timbre selected to midi ch 1 or global ch, except the drum pattern and the timbre from arpegiattors. Is a simple way to can play a lot of timbre in the same time.
What you wrong:
In the multi rec session you storage the data from all used timbre to the same track.
In your example if you confirm the Auto adjust arp for multi rec., the Timbre 1, Timbre 8, Timbre 9 and Timbre 12 will be arm to rec.
All the timbre from midi ch 1 will be record on the track 1 ( pads, guitar, harmonica). Timbre 8 bass and 9, 12 drums will be recorded on the separate tracks.

How to record separate timbre in the multi rec option;

Arm the rec for timbre 1 track and record the pads.
Set the timbre 1 to play.
Change the Track 01 to Track 02 (under the song name on the display)
Arm the rec for track 2 and record the guitar.
Now the pads don't will be overwritten
Set the timbre 2 track (where you record the guitar) to play.
Change the track 02 to 03 and arm the rec for timbre 3
Rec the harmonica on track 3.
Guitar and pads not will be overwritten.

Many people make a same confusion wen use the multi rec.
If the Track 1 is a guitar does not mean just the guitar will be recorded on the track 1. Al the timbre with the same midi ch will be recorded there:)

Is better to choose a different midi ch for each track and record one by one. Multi rec is better if you want to make a song quickly and record all that you hear in the same time.

Cheers,
Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: