Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

effects or no fx?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlipKnoTCraig133

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: effects or no fx? Reply with quote

When you're recording a track using your korg keyboard's built in sounds, do you disable the effects of the keyboard entirely (other than distortion if you're using it) so that you can add stuff like EQ, reverb, compression in the DAW (i'm wondering if that's a better way to do it), or record one program at a time as it already is into the daw with all the original effects?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would turn off delays and reverbs because they can be better handled with send/return busses and are very important for building a consistent sense of 'space' in a mix.

Everything else is integral to the character of the sound - distortion, compression, EQ, filtering. There's no harm in adding these things on top again in your DAW. Just because the sound had an EQ on it, doesn't mean you can't add another one in the DAW afterwards. The effect is accumulative.

The spatial effects such as delay and reverb though - as already mentioned - are likely to need changing and are impossible to remove or alter if they are committed to audio track. They need to be dynamically involved in the mixing process.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree also. Although, it depends on the capabilities of your DAW/computer setup (and whether your prefer having all real-time FX or don't mind rendering them offline).

I'm a firm believer in getting everything recorded as plain as possible and then handling all FX sends/returns/inserts within the DAW so you can A/B, layer, resample, etc. after the fact.

Cheers!

X-Trade wrote:
I would turn off delays and reverbs because they can be better handled with send/return busses and are very important for building a consistent sense of 'space' in a mix.

Everything else is integral to the character of the sound - distortion, compression, EQ, filtering. There's no harm in adding these things on top again in your DAW. Just because the sound had an EQ on it, doesn't mean you can't add another one in the DAW afterwards. The effect is accumulative.

The spatial effects such as delay and reverb though - as already mentioned - are likely to need changing and are impossible to remove or alter if they are committed to audio track. They need to be dynamically involved in the mixing process.

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
anode8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to mix it up and try it both ways, depending on the source. For most tracks, I will record dry and process in the box. Usually for one or two sounds in a tune, I will record with effects, just to give it some separation in the mix. Sometimes having endless options in the box means that you never decide and commit to what you want.

Previous Korg: ER-1, EA-1, ES-1 mkii, SQD-8, DDD-1, DDD-5, KPR-77, 05R/W
Previous other: way too much

https://www.youtube.com/user/anode8
https://www.facebook.com/RonStechno/
https://twitter.com/anode8
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it entirely depends on the effects. If I'm, say, using a guitar and it has a splashy sprung reverb sound that to me is part of the sound, then I will record with it but if I want an overall reverb, I will add it after in my DAW. The same with delay, unless it's an integral part of the sound that I'm recording.

A lot of my Kornos' sounds use effects and since that is the sound that I want, I leave them on.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: