Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Kaoss Pad???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riklink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: What Kaoss Pad??? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Need a bit of help from the experts.

I currently have a ESX1 and a EMX1 and love them to bits.
However I feel like adding a new piece of equipment to the collection and I'm thinking Kaoss Pad?

So my question is what model Kaoss pad do you think would best suite my set up? I know some are effects and some are samplers. Hoping you guys that have both can shed some light on this dilemma.

I make ambient and trip hop style music

Cheers
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody else will be able to say which Kaoss pads would suit you best- they can all be used with the Electribes- but it is a matter of individual taste- you may find that a combination of two or three or more is what you want. The only way to do this is to try them and see. You can buy the older ones on ebay- then sell them again if you don't like them- or try the newer ones in your local shop. As a starting point for you though- I would suggest you try a mini KP- now cheap second hand but with many KP3 effects.
CleverConQueso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: KP3 VS KO Reply with quote

I've had a few so limiting comments to the KP3 and KOPro. They both will take a MIDI tempo in which simplifies things. Neither has out, so they have to be at the end of the chain.

The KO allows for simple overdubbing so you can add layers but IIRC, you cannot then un-add them. The sample pads on the KO just loop against the bar length. Overdubbing can be a bit of the pain because it's easy to accidentally record a blip into your loop by mistake which blows.

The KP3 lets you set different loop lengths or 1 beat up to 16. This number changes when you go below a certain BPM. Once the loop is recorded you can then remove beats from the loop and use some of the patches on the KP3 to morph and mangle the loop. It's also got a one-shot mode so you can record a sample hit for example and play it whenever you want. Finally, there are two modes - one which keeps the sample start point set to the start of the bar and the other is on-demand.

If you want an additional solo instrument with rudimentary looping features, KO, if you want to lay out a groove then jam on the samples, KP.

A note - the delay and verb on the JO are actually pretty good and the drum parts are solid too.
CleverConQueso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: KP3 VS KO Reply with quote

I've had a few so limiting comments to the KP3 and KOPro. They both will take a MIDI tempo in which simplifies things. Neither has out, so they have to be at the end of the chain.

The KO allows for simple overdubbing so you can add layers but IIRC, you cannot then un-add them. The sample pads on the KO just loop against the bar length. Overdubbing can be a bit of the pain because it's easy to accidentally record a blip into your loop by mistake which blows.

The KP3 lets you set different loop lengths or 1 beat up to 16. This number changes when you go below a certain BPM. Once the loop is recorded you can then remove beats from the loop and use some of the patches on the KP3 to morph and mangle the loop. It's also got a one-shot mode so you can record a sample hit for example and play it whenever you want. Finally, there are two modes - one which keeps the sample start point set to the start of the bar and the other is on-demand.

If you want an additional solo instrument with rudimentary looping features, KO, if you want to lay out a groove then jam on the samples, KP.

A note - the delay and verb on the KO are actually pretty good and the drum parts are solid too.
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESX/EMX/KP3 is all you need. KP3 does indeed have MIDI Out, but no Thru. Putting KP3 on the output allows you to glitch/sample/effect everything, helping with transitions, breaks, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: