Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monotribe vs. Volca Beats

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Two77Clash

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Monotribe vs. Volca Beats Reply with quote

Hello! I'm a couple steps closer to buying my first analogue synth workstation, which will consist of an Arturia Microbrute and a clicking, hissing and snapping rhythm machine. But, I can't seem to make up my mind over whether I'll get a Monotribe or a Volca Beats, and the key-question here is usability while performing live.

I'm more interested in Monotribe, partly because it also doubles as a synth, but mostly because I love the absolutely minimal drum sounds of the little black box, but from what I've gathered, the Monotribe has no intetnal memory for storing drum sequences, which makes live performing tackier. Volca Beats, on the other hand, has the memory slots I find most handy, but the sound in general is less to my liking than that of the lil' Tribe.

I've stumbled upon this USB compability mod for the Monotribe called USBtribe, which toy understanding would make storing sequences on a music software possible, does anyone know if this is the case? What do you all think would be the wisest purchase in my situation? Are there other inexpensive analogue drum machines similar to the early, minimalistic drum machines of the '70s and the '80s out there?

Any help is most appreciated, and please excuse my lack of experience and vague questions when it comes to synths.

Thank you, happy beginning of summer for you all!

EDIT: Just to clarify, the drum machine would be synced with the Microbrute in order to achieve those warm, minimal and chugging electrobeats ŕ la early Kraftwerk Cool I haven't had an opportunity to sync the Brute with any drum machines yet, but if anyone has any experience on the field, I'd truly appreciate any information!
analoguekid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For simplistic ease and CV clock why not go for a proper 80's job in the first place, something like a BossD220 or D110
Two77Clash

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money's too tight to mention, basically. Buying vintage anything off eBay gets really expensive really quickly if you happen to live outside of the States. Because of this, I've decided to buy easily obtainable machines still in production. The two KORGs are inexpensive and sound amazing. So why waste time and money on a wild goose chase Smile Anyway, after looking around more, I've decided to go with Monotribe. The synth attribute is something I just don't want to miss. And after thinking about things for some time, what's the point in getting something too simple to use? With the Monotribe, the certain awkwardness can be transported into a stylistic attribute in itself. So yeah, I'll be getting a Monotribe.
jiggityj

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got both. If you want better drum sounds, get the Volca Beats. You'd have to spend more money on upgrades to the Monotribe to get it how you want, and still won't sound as good with drums. The Volca beats is ready to go and very handy for rhythms especially with the BPM readout. Open Hihat is a must imo, which the Monotribe does not have. The Volca beats has been my favorite out of the below $200 korg boxes. To bad I'm still waiting for my replacement from Korg since last month.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Monotribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: