Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Outlook to new Yamaha Workstation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Hi Derek,

Interesting that you have purchased a Kronos. I'm an OASYS user. I know of course of your longstanding use of Yamaha synths from Yamahaforums, but I hope you enjoy the Kronos too - the OASYS/Kronos workstations are, to me, the pinnacle of workstation instruments.

Hi, Kevin

Yes I agree. I still love all my classic Yammies, but I think Korg have the edge these days. I am enjoying my Kronos, and feel it will take a long time to get to know it, which is what I was after. I purchased my EX5 in 1999, so 15 years on I have purchased what I saw as the best workstation that will hopefully keep me interested for a similar 15 years!

Kevin Nolan wrote:

And on that you can't blame Korg in totality. What if on MOD-7 they had simplified it to provide some superficial programming interface - people (like me !) would then probably be complaining about its lack of depth.

Overall, in my opinion, Korg's traditional (recent) approach to synthesis of offering highly complex and complete synth engines seems not to have paid off in the sense of programs available or engendering a programming culture. MOSS technology and now OASYs/Kronos technology just have not triggered that in the same way that the DX7 did.

I think this is true of a lot of innovative synthesis, and is surely part of the reason Yamaha abandoned synthesis too - nobody programmed the VL1 or the EX5 and they are both complex instruments too. Perhaps the same could be said of the Roland V-Synth GT?

In any case, I suppose with such niche instruments the user base is always going to be limited so programming will be likely limited too ...

Kevin.

Yes, that worries me too. The instruments at Yamaha's peak required time investment to get the most from them, and the Kronos feels the same, but that never happened like something for the FS1r. BTW: I'd say there are quite a few free EX5 User Patches over on EX5Tech Smile , maybe not as many as the DX7/SY ranges, but quite a few all the same.

Likewise, I see my Nord G2 Engine as the pinnacle of a modular VA, which will probably never be surpassed in hardware form. 8 years on it still sounds gorgeous! And still my best Moog clone in hardware form.

Hopefully I'll be able to add some Kronos sounds at some point. I've started programming the AL1 to try and get some sounds I need for a new project.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tschury wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:
...The Envelopes lack the Envelope Looping feature of the SY range – and this is absolutely critical to creating many types of FM and RCM (Using PCM Samples as modulators) voices - most especially RCM voices. In this regard, the SY77 and 99 outshine MOD-7 significantly. I’m a long standing programmer of both, and I can tell you that the lack of Envelope Looping on MOD-7 is a fundamental issue, to me...

Derek Cook wrote:
...I had noted the lack of looping envelopes, but hadn't looked further...

No No No You are completely wrong!

There are much more complex options available to loop and trigger MOD-7 VPM Osc Envelopes on the OASYS, than it is possible with AFM OP Envelopes on the SY77/99! By far!!!

I can't help to say this, but you folks should really begin to finally learn your instrument and read the parameter guide, instead of complaining, generalizing and spreading false information all over the web!

From OASYS Parameter Guide V1.3, page 370:

Program P8: EG 1–9
The MOD‐7 has nine assignable EGs, in addition to the Amp EG. Each of these can be used as an AMS modulation source to control a wide variety of parameters.
By default, EGs 1–6 are assigned to Output Level on VPM Oscillator 1–6, EG 7 is assigned to Output Level on the PCM Oscillator, and EG 8 is assigned to Filter A
Cutoff. These EGs are similar to those of the AL‐1, but with slightly simplified AMS modulation, Sustain Level modulation, and a new parameter: Trigger at Note‐On.

8–1: EG 1
The EGs, or Envelope Generators, let you create complex, time‐varying changes to AMS‐modulatable parameters. The controls on this page specify the shape of the EG. Among other things, you can:
• Create the basic EG shape by setting the levels and
times of each segment.
• Control the curvature of each EG segment, for
subtle control over the sound of the EG.
• Set up complex modulation of EG levels and times.
• Set up an AMS source, such as an LFO, to restart
the EG.
One thing that you can’t do on this page is to control how much effect the EG has on the parameters it modulates. To do that. you’ll need to adjust the AMS intensities on the pages for the individual parameters.

8–1a: EG Reset
AMS [List of AMS Sources]
This selects an AMS source to reset the EG to the start point. For instance, you can use a tempo‐synced LFO to trigger the EG in a repeating rhythm.
This reset is in addition to the initial note‐on, which always causes the EG to start. For a list of AMS sources, see “Alternate Modulation Source (AMS) List” on page 1021.

Threshold [–99…+99]

This sets the AMS level which will trigger the EG reset. Among other things, you can use this to adjust the exact point in an LFO’s phase at which the EG will be reset, effectively controlling its “groove” against other rhythmic effects.
When the threshold is positive, the EG triggers when passing through the threshold moving upwards. When the threshold is negative, the EG triggers when passing through the threshold moving downwards.
Note: with some LFO shapes, and with faster LFO speeds, the LFO may not always reach the extreme values of +99 or ‐99. In this case, setting the Threshold to these values may cause inconsistent behavior, or may mean that the EG doesn’t reset at all. If this happens, reduce the Threshold until the EG triggers consistently.

Trigger at Note-On [Check-box]
On means that the EG will start automatically at note-on. This is the default. Off means that the EG will only start when triggered via the selected AMS source. This is useful for delayed EGs, or triggered effects such as those described below. Note: even when this is set to Off, if the selected AMS trigger source is above the threshold at note-on, then the EG will trigger instantly.

Tip: Multiple Rhythmic Envelopes via the Step
Sequencer

1. Set up several EGs with Trigger at Note‐On set to
Off, and the trigger AMS source set to the pervoice
Step Sequencer.
2. Set each EG to use a different threshold value, so
that the first to trigger has a low threshold, the
next to trigger has a slightly higher threshold, and
so on.
You can then use the Step Sequencer to trigger each EG
at a specified time, synced to tempo. For complex
rhythmic variations, you can then loop the Step
Sequencer, modulate its start point, and reset the Step
Sequencer from another AMS source.

Tip: Multiple Rhythmic Envelopes via LFOs
1. Set up several EGs with Trigger at Note‐On set to
Off, and the trigger AMS source set to one or more
LFOs.
2. Set the LFO(s) to sync to tempo, with a large note
value (such as a whole note).
By using a couple of LFOs at different frequencies, you
can set up complex, essentially non‐repeating patterns.
3. Set the LFO waveform(s) to Triangle.
4. Using the same trick as above, set the EGʹs
thresholds to different levels.
You could also use this method with non‐temposynced
LFOs and slow EGs, to create gentle, evolving sounds.

Beer

Well, as a newvbie, perhaps I can be forgiven for not having read the Programming guide in depth yet! Embarassed That does sound like a lot of power to get to grips with. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
Tschury

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before Kevin will probably react to my previous (provocative) post, I have to give him some credit. The SY99 can loop the whole Env, but also only the last segments, starting from either the second or third Env segment (of totally four). MOD-7 can only loop from the Env starting point. The SY99 also doesn't need any modulation source in order to loop its six OP Envs, but there is no option to tempo sync the Env loops.

So I can understand why Kevin is missing the same handy Env loop functions on the MOD-7. But he should have mentioned the existing (tempo syncable) Env loop possibilities and the complex Env trigger timing options of MOD-7, by using modulation sources, which there are fortunately plenty of... Wink
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tschury - you can't loop _subsets_ of the envelope - that's the critical bit.

On the SY77 and 99, you can loop subsets of the envelope - that's what give these instruments the capacity to create voices with motion, finely controlled. You can't do the same on MOD-7 - I have tried!

As I pointed out repeatedly, MOD-7 is indeed extremely complex - but - this is the critical point - Yamaha got the important points right, and Korg missed some that are quite important. Not to be too harsh on Korg they probably invested a minuscule amount of time and resources into MOD-7 and still did an amazing job compared to what Yamaha invested into FM synthesis, but that's the point - when you learn the SY AFM/RCM engine, you see extremely smart decisions as to how (and why) it is implemented the way it is. MOD-7 has staggering capabilities for sure, but I can assure you there is an extra level of 'awareness' that went into the Yamaha implementation that allows it to be programmed in ways MOD-7 cant - most especially with envelope looping. AMS LFO's are NOT the same thing, and there are types of voices programmable on the SY range not possible on MOD-7.

@Derek - I totally agree about the number of EX5 programmes available. In fact I've just completed a gargantuan 'optimization' of about 15 sets of EX5 sounds, where I spent months (on and off) to identify the top 250 EX5 programs (for me) across AWM, VL, AN and FDSP synth engines. Having all of those voices on board and instantly available elevates the EX5 to a staggering degree (I am doing similar 'optimizations' across all my synths and it is taking many years, but the results are quite extraordinary because in essence I'm making available to my workflow what I regard as the very best programs ever programmed for each instrument I own, and they become altogether hugely more purposeful, useful and sonically superior. The top EX5 sounds are as good as anything available today).
Tschury

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Tschury - you can't loop _subsets_ of the envelope - that's the critical bit.

On the SY77 and 99, you can loop subsets of the envelope - that's what give these instruments the capacity to create voices with motion, finely controlled. You can't do the same on MOD-7 - I have tried!

As I pointed out repeatedly, MOD-7 is indeed extremely complex - but - this is the critical point - Yamaha got the important points right, and Korg missed some that are quite important. Not to be too harsh on Korg they probably invested a minuscule amount of time and resources into MOD-7 and still did an amazing job compared to what Yamaha invested into FM synthesis, but that's the point - when you learn the SY AFM/RCM engine, you see extremely smart decisions as to how (and why) it is implemented the way it is. MOD-7 has staggering capabilities for sure, but I can assure you there is an extra level of 'awareness' that went into the Yamaha implementation that allows it to be programmed in ways MOD-7 cant - most especially with envelope looping. AMS LFO's are NOT the same thing, and there are types of voices programmable on the SY range not possible on MOD-7.

Yes, I've just described in my previous post, that it isn't possible to loop Env subsets with MOD-7, by calling the SY77/99 Env subsets "Env segments".

But MOD-7 gives you much more control over the Env loop timing. AMS modulation sources, like LFOs, can work as an exact timer to dynamically control the start and the length of an Env loop. With the LFO delay parameter it is possible to delay the Env loop, etc.. Also the per-voice Step Sequencer is offering rhythmic and tempo synced Env loop options, which are impossible to achieve with the SY77/99.

As I also own a SY99, I can fully understand what you mean by the "extra level of awareness" that went into the Yamaha implementation. But on the other hand, the OASYS MOD-7 is much more versatile, due to its much more complex oscillators and its semi-modular structure and isn't as focused and "limited" as Yamaha's so-called RCM method, used in the SY77/99.

I also have a FS1R module (which has VA Filters), which was the last great FM development by Yamaha and I've always wondered, why Yamaha never implemented this great synth engine in a better suited hardware (better UI!!!), possibly combined with RCM synthesis (samples&FM).

Imagine a new Motif with all the current samples plus RCM (SY99) with Formant Shaping FM (FS1R), plus VA Filters and additional VA oscillators (An1x), plus FDSP Synthesis (EX5), plus Physical Modeling à la VL1 and VP1. This would be a monster flagship synth/workstation, which could easily compete with the OASYS/Kronos. But I'm afraid that Yamaha doesn't have the knowledge anymore... Rolling Eyes
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If in the same town - this would be a good "nerdy" chat over a pint off beer! Smile

I accept the extraordinary capabilities of MOD-7 - but - where I'm coming from is from a particular, personal 'like' about the SY range that I just haven't been able to achieve on MOD-7 that's associated with RCM synthesis and Envelope looping. In particular, because in RCM synthesis you're using a sample to modulate a carrier wave, the balance of sample-modulator level is critical to shape the sound you want - and the envelopes allow for that to be varied over time. While I accept the MOD-7 envelopes are excellent, in this particular instance, they do not match the subtlety of the SY range. On the SY, you can set which parts of the envelope you want to loop, and how it will loop, and it offers a wide range of ways of introducing time variant harmonic content to a note -very important. And it's all velocity sensitive too. Most importantly, because the looping is on the internal segments to the envelope, the degree of subtly is impressive; and it just cant be emulated on MOD-7.

A classic example is perhaps my favourite sound of all in the FM range - the RCM SY77 program called Bah-Mallet. It's a convolution of a choral sound with an FM sound, and it's a stunning sound to me in terms of its dynamics, wide pitch range, velocity sensitivity and movement due to envelope looping. From that one program I have been able to stretch it beyond belief - i even have a program I call "Sky Crack" which uses this program but several octaves lower and with the sample input multiplier increased, and it's the closest I've ever head to real Thunder - it's gigantic.

I have tried, at length using all the techniques you propose, to emulate that sound - but it can't be done. I simply cannot get MOD-7 to create the same dynamism and movement in the program. The envelopes (and added motion capabilities you mention) are too corse and cannot allow for the capability of the SY Bah-Mallet - namely a striking, massive attack, and then subtle movement within the envelope. I can have one or the other - but not both!

I've tried similar efforts with other programs such as the awesome SY Spanish-Guitar sound called Remirez (which created exquisite dynamics but also the sound of fingers sliding on the strings) - but once again MOD-7 cannot provide for the subtly and dynamic range needed.

Of course MOD-7 offers exquisite and higher 'granularity' in editing - with most parameters being 7-bit on the MOD-7 and many only 3-bit on the SY range - so there are depths and breaths that MOD-7 can go to that the SY range can't - but - as I also indicated, MOD-7 takes an extraordinary amount of editing to get there - and once again, the SY range offers _just_ the right number and choice of parameters, smartly positioned in the algorithm chain, to allow for exquisite programming. This is surely one of the reasons there are so many programmes for it. By contrast, MOD-7, by its very complexity, seems to have become prohibitive to all but a very few (such as your good self) - it just has not been programmed - and that's the problem I flagged earlier.

We're probably going to have to agree to disagree on the subtler point we debating - I just feel that the SY range offer the optimum setup for RCM / FM synthesis, and despite great enthusiasms , and great liking for MOD-7, I have just not been able to make it 'sing' in an dynamic/ acoustic-like way as I can with the SY77/99, despite having educated myself (using the Parameter Guide !!) and many, many dozens of hours on particular programs. MOD-7 is, to me, a monster of a synth engine, but it needs refinement in its usage.
Tschury

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
If in the same town - this would be a good "nerdy" chat over a pint off beer! Smile

I accept the extraordinary capabilities of MOD-7 - but - where I'm coming from is from a particular, personal 'like' about the SY range that I just haven't been able to achieve on MOD-7 that's associated with RCM synthesis and Envelope looping. In particular, because in RCM synthesis you're using a sample to modulate a carrier wave, the balance of sample-modulator level is critical to shape the sound you want - and the envelopes allow for that to be varied over time. While I accept the MOD-7 envelopes are excellent, in this particular instance, they do not match the subtlety of the SY range. On the SY, you can set which parts of the envelope you want to loop, and how it will loop, and it offers a wide range of ways of introducing time variant harmonic content to a note -very important. And it's all velocity sensitive too. Most importantly, because the looping is on the internal segments to the envelope, the degree of subtly is impressive; and it just cant be emulated on MOD-7.

A classic example is perhaps my favourite sound of all in the FM range - the RCM SY77 program called Bah-Mallet. It's a convolution of a choral sound with an FM sound, and it's a stunning sound to me in terms of its dynamics, wide pitch range, velocity sensitivity and movement due to envelope looping. From that one program I have been able to stretch it beyond belief - i even have a program I call "Sky Crack" which uses this program but several octaves lower and with the sample input multiplier increased, and it's the closest I've ever head to real Thunder - it's gigantic.

I have tried, at length using all the techniques you propose, to emulate that sound - but it can't be done. I simply cannot get MOD-7 to create the same dynamism and movement in the program. The envelopes (and added motion capabilities you mention) are too corse and cannot allow for the capability of the SY Bah-Mallet - namely a striking, massive attack, and then subtle movement within the envelope. I can have one or the other - but not both!

I've tried similar efforts with other programs such as the awesome SY Spanish-Guitar sound called Remirez (which created exquisite dynamics but also the sound of fingers sliding on the strings) - but once again MOD-7 cannot provide for the subtly and dynamic range needed.

Of course MOD-7 offers exquisite and higher 'granularity' in editing - with most parameters being 7-bit on the MOD-7 and many only 3-bit on the SY range - so there are depths and breaths that MOD-7 can go to that the SY range can't - but - as I also indicated, MOD-7 takes an extraordinary amount of editing to get there - and once again, the SY range offers _just_ the right number and choice of parameters, smartly positioned in the algorithm chain, to allow for exquisite programming. This is surely one of the reasons there are so many programmes for it. By contrast, MOD-7, by its very complexity, seems to have become prohibitive to all but a very few (such as your good self) - it just has not been programmed - and that's the problem I flagged earlier.

We're probably going to have to agree to disagree on the subtler point we debating - I just feel that the SY range offer the optimum setup for RCM / FM synthesis, and despite great enthusiasms , and great liking for MOD-7, I have just not been able to make it 'sing' in an dynamic/ acoustic-like way as I can with the SY77/99, despite having educated myself (using the Parameter Guide !!) and many, many dozens of hours on particular programs. MOD-7 is, to me, a monster of a synth engine, but it needs refinement in its usage.

Beer

...there are certainly limits, if you want to emulate a specific SY99 sound with MOD-7. But what you've just said, works also vice versa, because you cannot emulate most MOD-7 sounds with the SY-99, included the AMS controlled Env loops. The MOD-7's vast modulation sources and mod routing options, the semi-modular structure, the dual multi‐mode resonant filters (including Korg’s Multi Filter, as first introduced in the AL‐1) and the complex wave shaping oscillators excels the SY99's sound options. There is an "intersecting set" of possible sounds between MOD-7 and SY99, but each of them has finally its own sound universe.

Cheers! Very Happy

PS: I guess the fact, that MOD-7 wasn't released as a hardware synth of its own, but as a part of a multi-engine workstation, is probably also one of the reasons, why there aren't many programmes for it. Most users just focus on the Kronos' sampled waveform stuff, which is certainly one of the reasons for Yamaha's sad development during the past 15 years...
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking personally, I just find FM synthesis a lot more "abstract" than subtractive. For most subtractive sounds I know instantly how to go about making them (disregarding certain subtleties specific to a synth's sound character). FM is just opaque to me. I can't really imagine what it will sound like to multiply a wave with another one, let alone yet a third one. I've done some basic MOD-7 programming but I use it more additively than anything else.

Part of it is laziness too I suppose, a lot could be learned from analyzing the on-board patches or reading up on FM.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the DX-7 came out I believe it had only 32 Factory sounds, which meant learning how to program one was pretty much mandatory. The lack of choice simply created the motivation and determination to learn.

Fast forward to now and you can buy a Workstation jam packed with a thousands + sounds, so the motivation for people to learn how to program the depths of MOD-7 is simply not there at any level like it would have been required back in the DX-7 days.

Now you don't even need to know how to play an instrument to write music with all the Gadgets and Apps that are available. My god you don't even have to be able to sing any more due to Auto Tune...lol....

Regards
Sharp.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

@Derek - I totally agree about the number of EX5 programmes available. In fact I've just completed a gargantuan 'optimization' of about 15 sets of EX5 sounds, where I spent months (on and off) to identify the top 250 EX5 programs (for me) across AWM, VL, AN and FDSP synth engines. Having all of those voices on board and instantly available elevates the EX5 to a staggering degree (I am doing similar 'optimizations' across all my synths and it is taking many years, but the results are quite extraordinary because in essence I'm making available to my workflow what I regard as the very best programs ever programmed for each instrument I own, and they become altogether hugely more purposeful, useful and sonically superior. The top EX5 sounds are as good as anything available today).

The EX5 was just too far ahead of it's time, but has some amazing sounds. FDSP is its secret weapon, it's criminal that Yamaha left a note (and velocity) independent effects processor to fall by the wayside.

MarcE was the king of EX5 programmers. www.marce-music.com He also did some very good AN1x patches as well.

My Echoes Music Website
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tschury wrote:

Imagine a new Motif with all the current samples plus RCM (SY99) with Formant Shaping FM (FS1R), plus VA Filters and additional VA oscillators (An1x), plus FDSP Synthesis (EX5), plus Physical Modeling à la VL1 and VP1. This would be a monster flagship synth/workstation, which could easily compete with the OASYS/Kronos. But I'm afraid that Yamaha doesn't have the knowledge anymore... Rolling Eyes

That is the dream I gave up waiting for and why I purchased a Kronos. Rolling Eyes

My Echoes Music Website
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Now you don't even need to know how to play an instrument to create obnoxious noise with all the Gadgets and Apps that are available.

Fixed that for ya! Very Happy
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol... Much better. Laughing
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true Sharp - we're surely in a different world.

Derek - I totally agree with you regarding FDSP synthesis (for those not familiar with it - it is a kind of synthesis engine in the EX5 where, at 16 note polyphony, you got 16 polyphonic effects, triggered by a MIDI note on message - so each note gets its own effects engine!). The FDSP Ring Modulator (i.e. 16 Ring Modulators triggered and controlled polyphonically by note no., velocity, aftertouch - affecting up to about 15 parameters) is staggering.

Applied with subtlety to, say an electric piano AWM sound, it transforms it, providing a metallic dimension to the program that responds to the touch. The CS80 ring modulator is astounding because of its 5 levers for realtime control; but I can assure, the EX5 FDSP Ring Modulator algorithm is its equal, if not superior. It can be made to sound gargantuan, or as subtle as needed by the finest electro-jazz pianist.

I also adore the FDSP "Water" algorithm that makes AWM programs ripple like water - and indeed the PWM algorithm means you can apply PWM to any sample based program - stunning when applied to chorus type sounds.

Coupled to the VL engine and exquisite duophonic AN1x Virtual Analogue engine, the EX5 (and in particular these days the EX5R) is among the best kept secrets in synthesis. I employ an EX5 and two EX5R's in my setup to cater for the range and depth of these astounding sounds.

In my opinion the EX5 was Yamaha's attempt at a kind of an OASYS - a workstation / sampler with multiple synth engines. As I'm sure you know Derek it is underpowered DSP wise and issues warning messages to the screen if you overstretch, and this was met with nothing short of venom by the new and emerging online community in 1998. I remember it well, and Yamaha were ripped limb for limb on line. I knew people in Yamaha Ireland at the time (closely tied to Yamaha Kemble in the UK) who indicated Yamaha's awareness of the venomous reaction - and as a result the EX5 was pulled prematurely; and reinvented as the original Motif.

So it is fairly certain that the EX5 had a hand in the downfall of Yamaha and synthesis - the reaction to it scared them in earnest; and that coupled to the success of the Motif seems to have sealed Yamaha's fate regarding synthesis.

Overall, a very strange state of affairs in the history of synthesis, given Yamaha's early pioneering work and given that they are the biggest music instrument maker on the planet.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really sad that Yamaha abandoned its synth legacy. That said, I don't understand how THEY cannot understand where they went wrong. EX-5 was chock full with excellent ideas and laughable limitations. AN parts with only 2 voices of polyphony? Thanks, I'd rather have an AN1x (oh wait - I already do have it, what a sublime machine!). Restrictions in Multi mode are even worse... And we all have 90s CPUs to blame for that. FS1R is another sublime machine, hampered by the rack format and unintuitive UI. Thankfully at least ZeeEdit and some other free editors help in this regard. Oh, if you want to have user Fseqs, your user preset memory area halves to 64? Blasted hell!!! Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 5 of 15

Jump to: