Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Piano voices for Kross88?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkarlmann

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Piano voices for Kross88? Reply with quote

How good is the Grand Piano voice on the Kross88? I need it to be good enough to learn on & work with for quite a while. I have also researched some PC-based piano voices. Does anyone have experience with them; and how much better will they be than the Korg Grand Piano? How much does one need to spend to get a piano sound better than Kross?:

The ones I know about are:
1) ~$70: Pianissimo (standalone or part of Mixcraft Pro Studio 6)
2) $174.50: East West Quantum Leap Pianos Gold
3) $189: Synthogy Ivory II American Concert D
4) $245: East West Quantum Leap Pianos Platinum
5) $329: Synthogy Ivory II Grand Pianos
I'm quite sure there are many more to choose from. What are your opinions? Cost is a concern. I need a keyboard that has a good enough piano voice to keep me motivated to learn & grow. I think the piano voices on either the Krome or the Kronos would be more than adequate but they are not in my price range.

I viewed a recent YT faceoff between the Casio PX5s and the Kross, and the guy chose the Casio (pianomanchuck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VfQw2LbI24 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK_L5cEKTcA). The Casio is on sale for $799, but I do not like the keybed action at all. Do I need a better piano voice than the Kross Grand?
wadeal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kross has loads of really useable piano sounds (and a lot more) and the option of a weighted 88 key keyboard if you go for the 88 rather than the 61 key version. I added a sustain pedal and it's good enough for my piano lessons and recording.

The pianos (along with everything else) is a bit dry to my ears, but with a bit of manipulation of the reverbs you can get a really nice, realistic grand sound.

If you are after a VST piano sound, look at Alicia's Keys with Kontakt or Kontakt player. I use the Korg to trigger the piano sounds on that and it's piano sounds are absolutely second to none.

The East West stuff is fantastic (the strings especially) but take a deep breath, cos they are stupidly expensive and eat PC memory.

I'd get the Korg just for the 88 weighted keys and the rest of the facilities . You can always add the software sampling stuff later if you aren't happy with the stock sounds (which I'm sure you will be).

If you Search for the Korg Kross on Youtube there is a guy playing all of the Kross piano sounds. That's a good starting point.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Krome pianos are far closer to VST quality than the Kross ones. You could also consider putting that extra money towards a Krome instead of a Kross, if pianos are very important to you.

Honestly I think most third party piano plugins would top the Kross in realism, although some in the Kross are surely charming and playable.

My personal favorite is Ivory, but I also like some of the NI offerings (Alicia's Keys is good for a "character" piano for instance).
tkarlmann

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wadeal wrote:
look at Alicia's Keys with Kontakt or Kontakt player. I use the Korg to trigger the piano sounds on that and it's piano sounds are absolutely second to none.

Hmm, I tried looking for Alicia's Keys, and it looked as if this product was no longer available. Please provide a source, if you have one.

Thanks also for the kind words re the Kross. I'm very excited about my new prospect, but I will have to wait a bit until the coffers fill sufficiently.

East West: they have a four-piano package, as shown above, for $247.
tkarlmann

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Kross played by pianomanchuck ... Reply with quote

wadeal wrote:
If you Search for the Korg Kross on Youtube there is a guy playing all of the Kross piano sounds. That's a good starting point.

Yes, this is the same guy who chose the Casio PX5s over the Kross!!

I liked the Kross's piano sounds -- especially the Concert Grand, Dark Piano, Sad Piano and a few others.

Last edited by tkarlmann on Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/keys/alicias-keys/
tkarlmann

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: What are "NI Offerings"? Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I also like some of the NI offerings (Alicia's Keys is good for a "character" piano for instance).

Please elaborate: what are "NI offerings"?
tkarlmann

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Alicia's Keys FOUND! Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/keys/alicias-keys/

Wow! Alicia's Keys sounds like it may very well be the answer I was looking for! I think I was looking for AK only at Sweetwater and Amazon.

Now that I know that "NI" == Native Instruments, I was able to filter out all of Alicia's piano performances on amazon, and found 11 reviews of AK there! All very favorable.

FYI: The latest Review amazon has is dated April 23, 2014, and AK is listed on Amazon as "Currently Unavailable". The link Sander kindly provided is DL-only, selling for $99. Does anyone know if Amazon is likely to get AK back in stock? If so, at what price? (I cannot find AK at Sweetwater.)

Thanks so much! I think I'm getting close to a solution!!

FYI: Another member sent me some sample files of Mixcraft Pro Studio 6's Pianissimo sound. It was not at all impressive. I think the Kross native sounds would be FAR better -- but I now think Alicia's Keys (AK for short) is a very good alternative to Korg Kross's native sounds. Question remaining: Which of the 2 is the better sound?
tkarlmann

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: My anticipated Korg Kross -- Reply with quote

wadeal wrote:
The Kross has loads of really useable piano sounds (and a lot more) and the option of a weighted 88 key keyboard if you go for the 88 rather than the 61 key version. I added a sustain pedal and it's good enough for my piano lessons and recording.

I'd get the Korg just for the 88 weighted keys and the rest of the facilities . You can always add the software sampling stuff later if you aren't happy with the stock sounds (which I'm sure you will be).

I am DEFINITELY going to get the Kross with 88 weighted keys!

It seems like Kross + NI's sounds might just be a Krome-killer!? Later, if I really get & like AK's piano sounds, then I could maybe get (even Later) more sounds from NI. Thoughts?
tkarlmann

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
The Krome pianos are far closer to VST quality than the Kross ones. You could also consider putting that extra money towards a Krome instead of a Kross, if pianos are very important to you.

Honestly I think most third party piano plugins would top the Kross in realism, although some in the Kross are surely charming and playable.

My personal favorite is Ivory, but I also like some of the NI offerings (Alicia's Keys is good for a "character" piano for instance).

I did a rather comprehensive feature comparison between Kross & Krome. Although I have no actual experience, my analysis & intuition tells me that playing the Kross live would be the better solution. Sound-wise, the two could become near-equivalent if 3rd-party sounds like AK's piano were added to the Kross.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: What are "NI Offerings"? Reply with quote

tkarlmann wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:
I also like some of the NI offerings (Alicia's Keys is good for a "character" piano for instance).

Please elaborate: what are "NI offerings"?

Native Instruments (a software company) offers several VST pianos, which is what I was referring to. "The Giant" is another one of theirs and I also use the "New York Concert Grand" sometimes. I bought their Komplete 9 Ultimate last year and it has like five or six different good VST pianos and a bunch of other stuff. Honestly I still really like Ivory but apart from the price I really don't want to deal with iLok.

As for the Kross vs the Krome, I have no experience playing either one live (I have a Kronos). I just know that the Kronos piano is so far the only piano I have ever played to reach VST quality through its unlooped multi-GB sample set. I know that the Krome piano is the same. I have only briefly tried a Kross and it reminded me a lot of my Triton Extreme in the piano department. Meaning some would work ok live in a band setting but I would never ever pick them over a VST for realism, and I wouldn't really want to use them in a solo or duo situation.

I also don't think there is a whole lot you can do with "third party sounds" inside the Kross, as it doesn't have a sampler and there is only so much you can do with editing the sounds - a piano sound is just really dependent on the samples. VSTs are still a good option though. If you don't mind hooking it up to your computer I would say the Kross+VSTs make the extra sounds of the Krome obsolete. I only suggested the Krome because then you'd have a seriously HQ piano in the board itself for playing on the road.
castorex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need many third-party piano sounds (or other extra-sounds) the MOXF from Yamaha is a better choice... with 2GB extended board... and many many banks.

Both Krome and Kross have an unofficially supported embedded RAM:
- 16Mo for the krome
- 8Mo for the kross

Kromatool allows to load some new sample banks but not yet fort the kross. But the size of this dedicated space is too sparse for piano samples... and if i have understood well these kind of samples are limited to 8 bits resolution Laughing Laughing Laughing
tkarlmann

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: 11msec? Reply with quote

I spoke with my Sweetwater guy again, and we were talking about keyboard sounds vs. VST's. Since he was a MAC-person, I was attempting to explain about latency -- using Wave vs. WaveRT. He said "11msec" was the magic number -- longer than that and you hear the delay, less than that you don't.

Is this true, and can you get to < 11msec with Mixcraft 6?
castorex

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audio latency has noting to do with software... it is related to the audio hardware used on your computer/laptop + the audio driver of the hardware:
- you have a crappy embedded audio chipset... nothing to do except ASIO4ALL driver (bas results for a Pro environment).
- you have an audio extension board (Pro or semi-pro as some creative lab or asus board) using ASIO driver... very good latency.
- you have an external Pro audio module (via USB or Firewire) and you are the winner !

Naturally the software has to use ASIO driver to ensure a good latency, but it is always the case.

Sometime a workstation provides an embedded low latency sound module as Yamaha (MOX, MOXF, MX) and Roland (FA serie).

But I see in your first post you want to learn... to learn piano/keyboard. Why do you want a workstation to learn piano ? This is not the right tool for that, there are many very good digital piano, plug&play, with far better piano feel, excellent piano sounds.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have a dedicated soundcard/interface yet, I wouldn't recommend adding VST instruments to your setup. It's a first requirement. If you need a beginner card, you should count on spending between 100 and 200 bucks depending on the extra features and the quality you might want.

I would NOT recommend ASIO4ALL or any Creative Labs soundcard.

The 11ms is not a bad guideline by the way, though personally I'm a little more sensitive than that. What's also important is the "jitter" in latency, meaning if it is always the exact same amount of latency (easier to adjust to and not notice) or if it is sometimes a little longer or shorter. A pro soundcard should do well in both regards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: