Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA900 ..just got a volume problem ? HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le
View previous topic :: View next topic  
advid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: PA900 ..just got a volume problem ? HELP Reply with quote

....was playing my PA900 when suddenly the overall volume went drastically down... Switched off and on again and all was well... then it happened again soon. after.. BUT when i go to songbook or some of my performance settings all is ok ..100% volume. As soon as I press start/stop to finish it goes down again.
Usually play at volume 12 o clock or a bit higher.. now even at full volume its not loud enough but all styles sounds work Ok.... when i go to songbook or performance..immediately goes back to proper normal volume....
Anyone got any ideas ? Seems like a real technical problem with amp/pre amp ??
Brian007

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the limiter and see what it set at,
Its under Global - Audio problem could lie there ?

Brian
advid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: reply... Reply with quote

[quote="Brian007"]Have a look at the limiter and see what it set at,

Brian[/quote]

LIMITER was set at Brick Wall (off) ... what's the best setting for this..never used it before /
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: reply... Reply with quote

advid wrote:
Brian007 wrote:
Have a look at the limiter and see what it set at,

Brian

LIMITER was set at Brick Wall (off) ... what's the best setting for this..never used it before /

I am using Hard Mastering Smile
try in real time, what's best for you. Wink
Fl Studio 21, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Korg Pa5x Sounds at Performers Heaven
Brian007

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brick wall is strict limiting it will never go over the top
Try soft limiting but make sure its ON or none of the settings will work

Brian
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the OP is saying he powers up and volume is OK, but then goes down. No style or SMF should be able to address the Master Effects, should they? And if he isn't altering the limiter himself, why is it changing?

My advice would be, for starters, check the problem with headphones. Maybe it's a bad cord, or a PA issue or whatever he's monitoring with. Unlikely, but possible.

Then I'd ask, is he using a volume pedal..? If he unplugs that, does the issue go away? Might be a bad pot or cord in that...

Try moving the volume knob while volume is OK. Are there any jumps in volume, or is the sound smooth through the travel?

Same with the sliders for the Players. Is there an issue with it jumping? Might be a dirty slider.

But, from what he's describing, I don't see it as a limiter or compression issue. The sound should come back as soon as the threshold is dropped below. But it doesn't, until a reboot.

My best guess would be the volume pedal if he uses one, or MAYBE a pot or slider (how clean do you keep it, or has it had anything spilled on it ever?), but after that, he may have a bad op amp in the final stage. Headphone checking ought to pin that down, because it's a different op amp to the main outputs, isn't it?

I hope it's a simple fix... Cool
advid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: reply... Reply with quote

[quote="Dikikeys"]But the OP is saying he powers up and volume is OK, but then goes down. No style or SMF should be able to address the Master Effects, should they? And if he isn't altering the limiter himself, why is it changing?

My advice would be, for starters, check the problem with headphones. Maybe it's a bad cord, or a PA issue or whatever he's monitoring with. Unlikely, but possible.

Then I'd ask, is he using a volume pedal..? If he unplugs that, does the issue go away? Might be a bad pot or cord in that...

Try moving the volume knob while volume is OK. Are there any jumps in volume, or is the sound smooth through the travel?

Same with the sliders for the Players. Is there an issue with it jumping? Might be a dirty slider.

But, from what he's describing, I don't see it as a limiter or compression issue. The sound should come back as soon as the threshold is dropped below. But it doesn't, until a reboot.

My best guess would be the volume pedal if he uses one, or MAYBE a pot or slider (how clean do you keep it, or has it had anything spilled on it ever?), but after that, he may have a bad op amp in the final stage. Headphone checking ought to pin that down, because it's a different op amp to the main outputs, isn't it?

I hope it's a simple fix... Cool[/quote]

....thanks for your comments and suggestion.....
I have 2 pedals..one set for harmony one for damper....no volume pedal,,
The sound drop came when i was playing and plugged into headphones... so it is not that ! When unplugging ..same low levels through speakers....]
Also no problem with volume control or sliders...
Brian007

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to clarify, sometimes its ok then sometimes its not, depending on what mode your in ?

Brian
advid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: reply... Reply with quote

[quote="Brian007"]So to clarify, sometimes its ok then sometimes its not, depending on what mode your in ?

Brian[/quote]

....I was playing quite normally (with headphones on).... when I pressed START/STOP to load another style..that's when the volume dropped drastically..... All settings / backing played but volume so low even when I turned up to Max.... BUt when went to START/STOP to play a new style ..WHAM..the volume went straight back to normal.. pressed START/STOP again and back to low volume....
Did a re-boot and OK for a few minutes then started again...
Have since done a total restore and then loaded my own stuff that was backed up and so far..so good.... but very wary of this happening at any time in the future.....
ALSO ... JUST NOTICED THIS.... the "MY SETTING' button no longer works... Hold it down for a few seconds and now..does nothing..no message to tell me its saving...????
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these all ROM styles you are doing this with?

Or is the style that causes the problem something you got off the Internet, perhaps a conversion from something else?

Can you narrow it down so that ONLY this particular style (or styles, if you got a bunch from the same source) causes the problem, and all the ROM styles work fine? If so, I'd say you probably have an issue with either a controller code or maybe some sys-ex in a conversion style, or one made from an SMF.

I might also double check whether your harmony pedal input is still set to that. perhaps it got inadvertently changed to something else?

But more and more (especially if the Settings button doesn't work at all) this is starting to sound like a corrupted OS. I'd save all your data, and then try reinitializing the PA900. Before you load your own data back in, try just playing some ROM Performances, see if the issue occurs. Then reload your data, and see if any particular styles or Performances makes the issue come back. If the issue happens even on factory data, then my money would probably be on a faulty unit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: