Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting emx esx and kp3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riklink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Connecting emx esx and kp3 Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Looking for a little advice.
Currently have a EMX1 connected via midi to an ESX1.
I have just purchesed a KP3 and was wondering the best way to connect this all together.
Was thinking just to connect the ESX1 to the KP3 via midi so essentially having a chain from EMX to ESX to KP3.
However if anyone has a better suggestion would love to know and if there are any setting I have to change to get all the units working together?

Thanks guys
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a mini mixer (four in- two out), then have both of them going through your KP at the same time Wink
Olivander12

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting emx esx and kp3 Reply with quote

Riklink wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have just purchesed a KP3 and was wondering the best way to connect this all together.
Was thinking just to connect the ESX1 to the KP3 via midi so essentially having a chain from EMX to ESX to KP3.
However if anyone has a better suggestion would love to know and if there are any setting I have to change to get all the units working together?

Thanks guys

KP3 has to be in midi slave mode, so the only proper way to connect them is as your described above. Both, EMX and ESX, may act as a midi master but the KP3 has to be in slave mode.
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that Riklink actually wants to use midi- but perhaps thinks that he has to in order to get some fun going with his gear. I don't use/need to use midi with mine. It depends what you want to do with them.

The KP3 does not have to be in slave mode if you do what I suggested- and you will have a great time with it, and your gear will all work together like you wanted. Just set the BPM of the KP3 to match the Electribes.
Olivander12

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robosardine wrote:
I don't think that Riklink actually wants to use midi- but perhaps thinks that he has to in order to get some fun going with his gear. I don't use/need to use midi with mine. It depends what you want to do with them.

The KP3 does not have to be in slave mode if you do what I suggested- and you will have a great time with it, and your gear will all work together like you wanted. Just set the BPM of the KP3 to match the Electribes.

Why would anybody not want to use midi in combination of an EMX and a KP3. It only makes things easier and takes about 5 Minutes to set up. EMX and ESX have to be midi connected as well. You are able to control not only start/stap plus tempo but you are also able to load and switch patterns synchronically. That basically merges them into one unit while increasing your possibilites without harming the great workflow.
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I can understand what you are saying. I tend to jam with my boxes and mix the patterns- so I don't actually want them to change together in tandem- for me that is part of the beauty of having a lot of small units instead of one big one. Nor do I often make many tempo changes when I am playing- I record everything I am playing then go back and sample the best bits- so a change in tempo for me just represents another pre sliced jam to add to the collection. Like I previously stated- it depends what you want to do with them. I don't have them connected by midi because I don't want or need them that way. All my instruments are clock sync'd- but that's it.
I am making the point that it is incorrect to say that the KP3 has
to be in midi slave mode- this is undeniable. I have had hours of productive sessions sending straight to my KP 3's (especially since I got my Roland TB-3's)- it's not like all the Kaoss pads have a midi option.
I don't use midi controllers of any kind...... Having said that.... perhaps I should give them a try! Smile Think
Olivander12

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robosardine wrote:
Yes I can understand what you are saying. I tend to jam with my boxes and mix the patterns- so I don't actually want them to change together in tandem- for me that is part of the beauty of having a lot of small units instead of one big one. Nor do I often make many tempo changes when I am playing- I record everything I am playing then go back and sample the best bits- so a change in tempo for me just represents another pre sliced jam to add to the collection. Like I previously stated- it depends what you want to do with them. I don't have them connected by midi because I don't want or need them that way. All my instruments are clock sync'd- but that's it.
I am making the point that it is incorrect to say that the KP3 has
to be in midi slave mode- this is undeniable. I have had hours of productive sessions sending straight to my KP 3's (especially since I got my Roland TB-3's)- it's not like all the Kaoss pads have a midi option.
I don't use midi controllers of any kind...... Having said that.... perhaps I should give them a try! Smile Think

You have a very unique workflow so it was ignorant by me to say: "do it like this, everything else is wrong". I am sorry for that. My perspective is to have the EMX plus the KP3 as two components of a live set up, where the KP3 is used for effects and to sample the EMX output to do some nice transition and build ups. While producing and especially recording, the KP3 does not have to be midi sync'ed.

Another thing: From what I have read you seem to have a quite huge variety of gear. How do you manage to get a decent workflow? I would have a very hard time doing a track with more than one device. On my PC, I produce songs with maybe about 20 samples and 8 synths (all done with one vst) which are sequenced by a DAW. Or I make a track entirely on one hardware device (EMX). But then there are people who have two EMX', one 808, a 303, Kaoss pads....the lists goes on. That would drive me crazy Very Happy
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Smile and thanks for your gracious reply.
In answer to your question- I don't actually use all my gear at the same time.
Typically a session would be- two boxes at the same time (say an ESX and a Roland 307 just as an example). Each of them go through a Mini KP then a KP 3 then a Kaoss Quad into the provisional mix- (I tend to use the Kaossilator for making samples for the ESX). Then I get lost jamming away with them (sometimes using my thumb and little finger to control two Kaoss pads at once- sometimes using both hands) for as long as I am enjoying it. Laughing .
Next I sit down and listen through- listening out for decent Drum/melodic parts that I like. I then sample them and bin the rest. I then arrange the drum parts into one ESX and the melodic parts into another. I then jam along again- swapping and changing patterns as I go-this time both will go through a single trio of Kaoss pads. I like to add some compression and reverb along the way. I will sometimes do the final arrangement on Sony Acid.
Riklink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting emx esx and kp3 Reply with quote

Olivander12 wrote:
Riklink wrote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks guys

KP3 has to be in midi slave mode, so the only proper way to connect them is as your described above. Both, EMX and ESX, may act as a midi master but the KP3 has to be in slave mode.

How do you put the KP3 in Slave mode?
Olivander12

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to put the Kaoss Pad 3 into "external mode". Look that up in the manual.
Riklink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: