Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Electribes stand alone

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think that an EMX/ESX always needs additional processing to sound broad, full and polished?
Yes, without additional effects, eq'ing and compression, EMX/ESX are lacking a full sound
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
No, if you do it right, you can plug your EMX/ESX right into a PA and it will sound as good as the other DJs records
76%
 76%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 13

Olivander12

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Using Electribes stand alone Reply with quote

Hi guys,

the upcoming new electribe models made me think about producing music completely without a computer. I always liked the idea to have one (or maybe two) machines and do everything entirely on them. At the moment, I am living this dream, but on a laptop with a daw and a midi controller. This is the sort of set up I can live with, since it is simple and though effective.

I never was a fan of that kind of workflow where people recorded their EMX' pattern on PC and edited and arranged them. I do not like that because firstly, the sound of the EMX is killed by applying effects on it and secondly, the electribe series is about being easy to use. Personally, I think that it kills the electribe's workflow and simplicity if the EMX is used with a computer.

So finally, my question is if it is possible to make a track on an EMX or ESX, record that track, play that recording and everything sounds great. What is your opinion about that? Do you think that the new electribe and electribe sampler will deliver a better standalone experience?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fully produced and mastered record has a ton of processing on it. You shouldn't compare that directly to a live performance of EDM, the same way that you shouldn't compare a live performance of your favorite band to their studio album. The Electribes sound great though, and hooking up several together can be very inspiring for composition. Yes, you can plug it into a big PA and have it sound good.
But if you're seriously planning to release your music to labels and stuff you will at the very least need some mastering.
Blue Monster 65

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLD FART RANT: When I started making electronic music, each machine did one job and one job only. The advancements we've made in 30+ years is fantastic and mind-boggling at times. Workstations and groove boxes (for lack of a better term) were a HUGE revolution for many of us, let alone the rise of using computers for composition and more.

Still, I sometimes miss the days when simplicity (well ... sort of ...) ruled. I really like having a limited pallet with the EMX (compared with a computer or more gear). I would like a better reverb and sometimes do use an outboard one, but overall it's a gas to stay "in the machine" but still be on a piece of hardware that forces creative solutions.

I think the new machines will offer some things much, much better and some features will be missing and missed. I believe I'll have to run them side-by-side for a while to see what I like and don't. I also think it's pretty obvious that these new models are supposed to be more live-oriented than each of the older generations were of their predecessors. No Ableton pun intended there!

Me? I'm not a fan of compression for compression's sake. Let the music ebb and flow within the piece. Constantly pumping the drums and bass gets as boring as nothing but quiet passages all throughout. Work your volume knob! Since the EMX doesn't respond to velocity for volume, use the accents. Use FX sparingly and then when you do drop them in, they're much more dramatic. It's OK for parts (instruments) to drop out of the mix and, when they return, do something different than they were doing before. There are all kinds of simple compositional tricks that seem to be lacking from so much of the music these days (and, to be truthful, a lot of the older stuff) that would really make more songs really stand out from the crowd and be much more enjoyable listening experiences.

Others, I'm sure, will have different experiences. I'd like to hear opinions on that, as well.
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new ones will be a much better standalone experience I would imagine- but I am fully expecting further processing to add some icing to the cake- certainly if you are using two or more.
Olivander12

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers, I agree to all of them. I was wondering what the EMX/ESX are most sadly missing. Personally, a simple equalizer would be cool. For me, it is hard to make a track wide and broad in terms of frequencies. Sometimes, I know that there are some very high or very low frequencies waiting to be filled, but I can't, since I have no possibilites to, for example, make the bass a little bit deeper.

What would you do if you had a nice beat. A simple drum line with some bass and a piano, and the notes and their timing is all great, but you just cannot get them sound fat. That is something I did not like about the EMX.

I had an Electribe ER-1 for a while. You put a kick on 1-5-9-13 and a snare on 5 and 13, tweak their parametres a bit and it sounded great. On the EMX, this easy beat would have needed much more time to sound as good as the ER-1 ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: