Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saving a style and Program combination

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gemstonedogs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Saving a style and Program combination Reply with quote

My instrument is a PA50sd. I would like to save particular style and instrument combinations I have worked out for each different song arrangement.

I find that changing styles, timing, accompaniment, and variations takes too long between each new piece.

Can anyone suggest a way of saving each piece with it own name?

Many Thanks
phatt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not alone, Yes the pa50 has an extremely NON user friendly interface.
I found some great help here; http://www.korgforums.com/support/pa80.htm

You want *tutorials 1~5* about a 1/3 way down page.
And while I'm here a big thanks to *Terry Telson* where ever you are,, was big help. Wink

But even with that help you may still find it rather hard to get quick access to changes.
Terry does his best to explain how to save not just performances but STS as well.

I'm still yet to find fast access for what I need. So still in the dark myself.

I'm now using the pads which I've assigned to program changes up and down. (page 49 of manual) See 22-pads, explains how to set pads to sounds or control parts. Also note "23-Preferences lock" or your setting won't stick when you change performance, Still not ideal but useful. Believe me, If I ever find a way to quickly access the power of this otherwise good keyboard ,, I'll be posting it here.

As to just saving the performance name; press write and dial in a new name on the second line down (the destination)

You then have to go back and save all 4 STS locations as well if you want those set. A real PITA.
I find that it's faster to change performances. (making sure Style change is set to OFF)

Anyway others will likely know better ways to set up the keyboard, lets hope they do.
Phil.
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Re Pa50sd Reply with quote

I have gone through all the internal styles and saved the single touch settings that I like as a performance then a backup of the keyboard.

To use the styles I like I load the bank of styles then I make a note of the ones that I want.

I then load my backup with the my performance settings, then I load a style individually to a user style. Once I have done this I do another backup and repeat the process to build up the styles I'm likely to use the most.
gemstonedogs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: many thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, most helpful

Regards

Gemstonedogs
phatt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Re Pa50sd Reply with quote

NativeAngels wrote:
I have gone through all the internal styles and saved the single touch settings that I like as a performance then a backup of the keyboard.

To use the styles I like I load the bank of styles then I make a note of the ones that I want.

I then load my backup with the my performance settings, then I load a style individually to a user style. Once I have done this I do another backup and repeat the process to build up the styles I'm likely to use the most.

Thanks Native angels;

I certainly appreciate that might be of some use but clearly it is complicated and time consuming, that would have taken you a long time to work out? If so, You must be a very patient person to go to all that effort.

I was starting to approach it in a similar manner but I gave up and purchased a separate midi controller keyboard allowing me to assign program changes on a separate midi channel. This way I know that my lead instrument selection will stay fixed no matter what changes are made in perf/Style on the korg. BTW, chord recognition is still active from external midi events.
(access to aftertouch is then also possible)

For the first 6 months I tore my hair out trying to get my head around how to get patches to stick in a performance.
I've now come to the conclusion that whoever programed this keyboard where not musicians and Obviously had no real understanding of the problems they created for the end user.

The Number one problem with this keyboard is that STS settings are linked to a STYLE not a PERFORMANCE. So STYLE dictates the STS settings and that is just plain dumb and is the reason why so many folks have trouble.

While in performance and you select another Style the STS setting will change to those set by STYLE
**Regardless of the status of the STS button.**

Although the sound/patch of the performance playing does not change initially, the moment you select any of the F-1 ~ F-4 buttons you loose the performance you had and you can't get it back unless you press a lot of buttons and reselect the performance. (assuming style change is not active)

No wonder people have trouble. Rolling Eyes

How I believe it should work;

A performance;
You select and save the instruments you wish to have in a performance along with any or all STS settings. This would give you 4 FIXED sounds in that performance (which do not change with a style change) But also Allowing the Option to link a STYLE to that performance if you so wish.
You would then be able to change to another style without upsetting your performance settings.

I do not profess to be an expert and I may well be missing something but I'm no stranger to the power off midi and what can be achieved. This one I'm afraid is a dog to work with.

On the positive side; The clever use of linking velocity to patch parameters and the efx section is very good and makes for some very realistic playing.

As has been observed by *gemstonedogs* there is no fast way to change things on the fly, You are forced to setup all parameters FIRST which might be ok if you have a fixed number of songs that you play all the time but for spontaneous musical inspiration it is very limited.
Phil. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA80 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: