Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Important replacement parts to have in the future

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Important replacement parts to have in the future Reply with quote

I'm wondering if some of you more experienced guys can help me out here.

My X88 is my first workstation/synth of any kind, and I love it. It's perfect for what I do. It was a big investment for me (it took more than half a year to pay it off) and I'd like to be using it for a long time.

I think it would be a good idea to have replacements on hand for things that could possibly break or fail. I've seen threads about replacement screens, motherboards, etc. I thought it would be a good idea to consolidate some of that information in one place.

To be clear, this would be for after the warranty expires. I'm not competent as of now to be able to repair my board myself, and if something were to happen now I'd obviously take it to a Korg service center. I do think it would be good, in the future, to be able to take my board to either a service center or competent tech and have the part available for him.

In your opinion, what are important replacement parts to buy now to ensure the life of your Kronos, assuming spare parts might not be available 10 years from now (which may or may not be a valid assumption). Should I even be concerned about this in the first place?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Important replacement parts to have in the future Reply with quote

andrewt wrote:

My X88 is my first workstation/synth of any kind, and I love it. It's perfect for what I do. It was a big investment for me (it took more than half a year to pay it off) and I'd like to be using it for a long time.

I think it would be a good idea to have replacements on hand for things that could possibly break or fail. I've seen threads about replacement screens, motherboards, etc. I thought it would be a good idea to consolidate some of that information in one place.

To be clear, this would be for after the warranty expires. I'm not competent as of now to be able to repair my board myself, and if something were to happen now I'd obviously take it to a Korg service center. I do think it would be good, in the future, to be able to take my board to either a service center or competent tech and have the part available for him.

In your opinion, what are important replacement parts to buy now to ensure the life of your Kronos, assuming spare parts might not be available 10 years from now (which may or may not be a valid assumption). Should I even be concerned about this in the first place?

Don't be concerned. 20,000 Kronos have sold. Many or most Kronos out there are 2-3 yrs old. There are a handful of failures or part issues.

IMO, that handful does not apply to you, or to me.

Enjoy your Kronos .
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a technician:
- Screen... this will be expensive, but you'll be glad you did one day.
- Touchscreen (different than screen)
- Joystick Assembly
- A motherboard would be pretty overkill, but would literally double the life...
- A SSD wouldnt be a terrible idea either. It would probably never fail but having a spare backup may save ya in a pinch. another 30gb would be cheap as heck too

But more important is how to avoid breaking your synth Smile
I cover a lot here...
http://rosensound.com/tech-advice-a-musicians-guide-to-prolonging-the-life-of-their-gear/

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosen Sound wrote:
As a technician:
- Screen... this will be expensive, but you'll be glad you did one day.
- Touchscreen (different than screen)
- Joystick Assembly
- A motherboard would be pretty overkill, but would literally double the life...
- A SSD wouldnt be a terrible idea either. It would probably never fail but having a spare backup may save ya in a pinch. another 30gb would be cheap as heck too

But more important is how to avoid breaking your synth Smile
I cover a lot here...
http://rosensound.com/tech-advice-a-musicians-guide-to-prolonging-the-life-of-their-gear/

Good info from Rosen Sound. He recently helped me out with a Pitchbend joystick assembly and pointed me to a source for the part. That is a fairly simple repair after removing the bottom cover. Could even be done in the field if you had about 45 minutes. Not an expensive part either.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Important replacement parts to have in the future Reply with quote

andrewt wrote:

Besides parts. might be a good idea to have USB removable media with backups of all of your data and recent OS. Also, upload them to a cloud.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: