Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kind or type of music do you make with the Volcas?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clownfool

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: What kind or type of music do you make with the Volcas? Reply with quote

I'm just wondering what people are using the volcas for as far as what type or style of music you guys are making.

I'd like to see more posts of users songs they have made with just the volcas. Youtube links would be easy.
CorpusCallosum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that I make typical Volca music......I lean toward the psychedelic and live to do offbeat coves of rock tunes, downtempo jams, and a little electro-funk. I've got lots of live videos on my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBNooj_v6AiSlISI2oQOVxA/videos
clownfool

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorpusCallosum wrote:
I don't think that I make typical Volca music......I lean toward the psychedelic and live to do offbeat coves of rock tunes, downtempo jams, and a little electro-funk. I've got lots of live videos on my YouTube channel:

I like those songs. Trippy your music is. Do you have a cd with your songs on them, or suggest other artist with your type of sound
jiggityj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorpusCallosum wrote:

Great work CorpusCallosum. Just got done watching some of your vids and is sounding nice.

Yeah, I don't make typical Volca beats. Downtempo(70-90 bpm) with arpeggios. I like to make Volca tunes and skratch to them with a turntable and mixer. Looking to get a KP3 again for loop work.
CorpusCallosum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clownfool wrote:
CorpusCallosum wrote:

I like those songs. Trippy your music is. Do you have a cd with your songs on them, or suggest other artist with your type of sound

Lol, no CD, haha. I'm actually a guitar player that never touched a synth until a couple of months ago....this is just a fun little side project of me mucking about and making some strange noises Wink Some are covers, some originals, all shot in one take with minimal prep time and no editing or mastering. The Volcas are such great compositional tools that it's fun to bounce around different ideas without spending too much time on each one IMO.
CorpusCallosum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiggityj wrote:
CorpusCallosum wrote:

Great work CorpusCallosum. Just got done watching some of your vids and is sounding nice.

Yeah, I don't make typical Volca beats. Downtempo(70-90 bpm) with arpeggios. I like to make Volca tunes and skratch to them with a turntable and mixer. Looking to get a KP3 again for loop work.

Thanks for the kind words my man Smile Big fan of the downtempo stuff myself, you can get really trippy and funky with the Volcas when you want to Smile The KP3 is fantastic with the Volcas, it really expands their sound while adding sampling and looping capabilities.
Butterfingersbeck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a fairly old-skool/traditional musician. I'm a multi-instrumentalist with blues roots, playing mostly keyboards, bass guitar and electric upright bass.

I have experimented with the Volca Keys' sequencing and looping facilities, but my main use for it is with a 5-octave MIDI controller keyboard, as an ultra-cheap analogue lead synth. Sometimes I sync it to the MIDI out of my Fostex MR-8 digital multitrack, but usually I prefer to play it by hand.

Here is a blues improvisation with a Volca loop in 3/4 over a 4/4 drum pattern, and also some Volca Keys lead synth. Wurly piano is a Nord Electro 3 and the bass is my Stagg electric upright.
https://soundcloud.com/simon-beck-3/volca-shuffle

This is a pastiche of a 1960s spy-movie theme. Volca lead again, with a percussion loop programmed in HammerHead 1.0, Nord organ (no Leslie) and Mellotron strings, autoharp from an iPad app, the Stagg upright bass again, and a Squier Precision Bass Special played with a pick for the twangy lead.
https://soundcloud.com/simon-beck-3/one-of-our-agents

Finally, a short cover of Popcorn. All sounds apart from the drums are Volca Keys. I programmed six arpeggio loops, one for each chord, and "played" the memory buttons in real time. The bass line, melody and counter-melody were played by hand in real time, and for the middle 8 I switched to Poly mode. Drums were programmed in HammerHead 1.0 and arranged in Audacity.
https://soundcloud.com/simon-beck-3/popcorn
abersteve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi here is a link to one I did, I like to make a variety of styles but this one had to be m.o.r analogue dub reggae, just how it turned out. It is rather long but I got sucked into the analogue vortex of repetitive riffs!

I used keys, and beats, monotribe, monotron delay and boss delay, behringer reverb and then alesis nanoverb on aux send/return into a wee behringer mixer into a digital recorder. The machines are very versatile and the sounds one can tease out of them are amazing!

https://soundcloud.com/bogilx/anadub
Butterfingersbeck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, abersteve - sort of ambient/chillout dub. I like it. I have a Monotron Delay too, but I haven't recorded with it so far.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it as noisy as the original monotron?
Butterfingersbeck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience of the original Monotron, but the Delay is very noisy indeed, probably because of the delay unit, a fault which it unfortunately shares with the Volca Keys. I briefly used my Monotron Delay as part of my stage rig, and the hiss from the Monotron through the PA made it unusable.
Butterfingersbeck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is most of my gear. My main instruments are Wurlitzer electric piano (I used to play a real vintage one, but now I use the Nord Electro), organ, bass guitar and electric upright bass.

I do quite a bit of home recording, but when I play live (with a 10-piece reggae band called The Skanx) I just use the Nord Electro and the Stylophone S2.

abersteve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butterfingersbeck wrote:
Nice work, abersteve - sort of ambient/chillout dub. I like it. I have a Monotron Delay too, but I haven't recorded with it so far.

Thank you! I enjoyed making it. Regards the below comment, the delay is indeed noisy and that for me is part of the appeal. I find it very useful for processing the Beats through, filter is lovely and the delay good enough to give the beats an extra oomph! I particularly like to set the filter at about 11-12 o'clock, the delay speed full on and feedback about 12-2 o'clock, makes a very cool sound during a beat!

Steve
CorpusCallosum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mis-post
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: