Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We need iKaossilator for Android NOW!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeharvard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: OS vs Device Specs Reply with quote

My tech savvy is limited, but as I transitioned from tape to early digital, to Pro Tools [MAC] & Nuendo [PC-XP] now Ableton [both] I am hugely impressed by how a company like Novation integrated Launchpad into Ableton Live for both Mac & PC platforms. It should provide a game plan for any music software developer. Both Ableton & the Launchpad / Launch Control feel, look & function identically on either my rickety HP PC laptop or my 8 mo. old Macbook.
I get the fragmentation prob ... twas ever thus.
As for making 'serious' music I have an iPhone in my rig to run iKaossilator, which is superior in many aspects to the hardware Kaossilator 2 sitting next to it, though I use both [& a Kaoss 2, & Mini K 2] live & on recordings. In fact I'm collecting used iPhones to teach a free music production program for kids, as even the 4's rock these apps.
I love the pads, but wish I could access these sounds via linear keyboard, too, now that we're making a list. Use WIST to wireless in a USB k/b or some such.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone that the best music apps will not be available on Android anytime soon if ever due to the reasons previously listed.

Personally, I hate Apple, always have and probably always will. That being said I bought an iPad solely for the music apps and don't regret it one bit. The relatively closed nature of iOS devices have made it a perfect platform for certain apps, music being one such category.

I look at my iPad more as a musical instrument/tool that performs it's intended function very well rather than a general purpose tablet that does everything. I use an Android phone for the every day mobile apps and that's where Android excels. So ... don't hold your breath waiting for good music apps on Android, get an iOS device.

(ok ... so I guess I don't totally hate Apple)
1_inch_punch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn you korg... I want DS10 on my tamagotchi .. now!
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1_inch_punch wrote:
damn you korg... I want DS10 on my tamagotchi .. now!

You know...I hate to say it but that is definitely an ignorant comparison. Rolling Eyes
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the quality of sound or power of the iPad over Android ....bla bla bla are just excuses. There is absolutely no reason not to make any of the korg software for Android...non what so ever. If anything a warning could be made to the customer that this software runs better on ipad. So really you let the buyer make the determination of how they wish to experience the software.

If Single Cell can do this: http://www.singlecellsoftware.com/caustic

If Image Line can do this: http://www.image-line.com/flstudiomobile/android.php

Then Korg can be doing the same.

Korg is truly missing out. It is such a shame too. Think about, we got a synth on a Nintendo DS...a DS, a freaking game boy! We got a synth on a system that is not even the quality of the Android tablets we see today. The cheapest priced Android device out performs any Nintendo DS.

Anyhow my rant is over.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
chromosundrift

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the idea that Korg could be making Android versions of their apps, the question for all developers is though, is this the most beneficial thing they could be doing? The stats I've seen show strongly that premium (>$10) mobile applications with no SAAS component (such as iKaossilator) sell way better on iOS and they are less expensive to test and maintain (due to less device variation).

If that's not true then it's a persistent nasty rumor. I'm not really interested in arguing the facts on this - if you're sure of the facts we can go with that... and hopefully we'll see Korg's rational conclusion to continue to increase their software development investment into Android territory.

But if it is true, put another way, they may actually be better off making new apps or expanding their existing lines on iOS than creating something for Android. I know how frustrating this is... but the flip side is that one of the reasons I'm still happy on iPhone is that there is more high quality software that I want to use which is exclusive to iPhone.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a friend of mine gave me their old iPhone 4 and I mad it into an iPod touch. I got a few music apps like Propellerhead Figure and a free version of Alchemy.

This is the first time I have actually enjoyed making beats or music samples on a freak'n phone! On Android I have deleted every music app...just sounds like crap. The iOS experience for music is just superior.

I totally get it! I can see and hear why Korg will never make an Android app.

While I love my Android for all it does as a phone, I hate to admit it but when it comes to sound quality Apple nails it...

For those who are Droid users like me, I encourage you to get an old used iPhone. There are used cheap ones around. And just use it for music...that's it nothing else. 8 gig phone will make an excellent pocket synth.

It really is a shame that no Android phone maker has ever thought to even engineering the sound tech in an iPhone.

Anyhow...yep for music iPhone / iPad is the only way to go.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
chromosundrift

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you think the problem with Android is the software or the hardware? I could imagine iPhone hardware might be better quality sound than certain Android phones because Apple have traditionally cared deeply about sound quality in their hardware.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromosundrift wrote:
So do you think the problem with Android is the software or the hardware? I could imagine iPhone hardware might be better quality sound than certain Android phones because Apple have traditionally cared deeply about sound quality in their hardware.

Hardware without question!

One has to remember, you can judge an iPhone based on specs but you will be wrong because their stuff is propitiatory. I have owned droid phones for years and while I have an 8mp camera on the droid that little iPhone 4 camera takes way better images with its 5mp camera.

So as shocking as it may seem the sound engine...(cause that's what is in the iPhone) and processor quality out strips the competition hands down.

I have only had my converted iphone for a week now.

Now bare in mind, Apple computers to me are weak expensive under-performing over heated fragile pieces of computer snobbery...so I have not been a fan of Apple. But the sound quality of an apple iPhone is so good, it's made me a convert! I still think apple computers are not all that great...but their phones? I can't wait to get my iPhone 6 plus to use all that cool music software.

Hardware! If Android would take a better look at what apple is doing maybe Korg might make an Android App.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
1_inch_punch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While on IOS and KaPro- ish -

Finally got my R8 Zoom recorder to work in Interface mode with ipad mini on beatmaker 2 Daw,:

Couldnt get it happening on my ipad mini no matter what adaptors I tried.

Then used the dedicated lightning to Female USB Camera Connection Kit through powered hub and my ipad mini and r8 decided they like each other.

*but* you have to change the R8 Inface mode to USB 1.0 - not 2.0 - that's from one of the guys on zoom forum...

Using Beatmaker 2 DAW - beatmaker disables most of the R8 controls but lets you -

Use the input selector switches

Use the two Gain knobs - beatmaker has additional gain control above that...

Use the volume out control - send to a mixer/monitors (wasnt expecting that - thought would have to use the ipad earphone out)

Use the Headphone volume control

All faders and transport controls on the R8 disabled.

But this does exactly what I wanted - dead easy to record straight into Beatmaker 2 using its transport and record controls. mono or stereo tracks.

The R8 even acted as audio out for the iKaossilator app via the usb - that too was a surprise. Will have to test other apps - even the music player would be good.

considering IK media sell a single input - mono - IOS interface with no audio outs for over $100 AUD - I am happy what this does. The Camera Connection Kit lead and powered hub were well worth it.

So now my KPro goes into beatmaker2 via R8 - mess with the loop. trim, effect - copy paste and drop into ikaossilator...

Probably worth trying with other Zoom models if they have the usb mode.

But dont go running out buying an R8 just for this - it lacks midi out/in - for use with KPro and there is severly limited inbox trimming available.

there must be other ways - this was just because I had the gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: