Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it possible to record your part, and then copy the drums?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hejam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Is it possible to record your part, and then copy the drums? Reply with quote

In Korg pa 600 you can copy drum, and snare tracks on a new user style. The question is that say you want to perform your melody, or part first, and after your melody is played, then you want that the drum, and snare,and accompaniment starts to play.
This is specially for Intro1, and Intro2 of the styles. If you want to create a user rhythm from scratch you can do it, but if you could some how copy the drum, and snare beats, then your job was much easier than if you wanted to create the drum beats. The thing is that if you create your melody or your part first, then when you want to copy and paste the drums, and snare parts,everything starts from right at the beginning, in other words the drum parts start right away when your melody starts , not after your melody or your part. Any help in this regard greatly appreciated.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little confusing. So you want to play a melody without accompaniment for few measures, and then have the drums come in at certain point?

hejam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
Yes. If you have heard some introductory parts, you will notice that there is just the melody, and after few measures, the whole drums, and snare, and style starts to play. The main problem in recording a totally new style from scratch is that the drum beats, and snare parts are difficult to create, and if you could place the copied drum, and snare from some style, and some how after you finish your melody , you could paste them,then you do not have to go through creating the new drums, and snare beats.
You can copy , and paste the drum parts, but at destination it starts from measure one. Like you can not paste them from measure 4 or 5, so from measure one to 4 you have your space for your melody part to play without drums playing.
I tried to copy the drum set from an style, then tried to see if there is a way to move the drums to measure 3 ( so have empty space from measure 1 to end of measure 3 for the melody part). But it did not work.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ...It would take just seconds to do something like this in an external sequencer. I haven't used onboard editing facilities all that much to be honest, but from what I remember, You might want to do something like that in the sequencer mode and not Style Record mode. I don't think Style record mode would let you copy style trackstracks "from"/"To" measures.

Try this. Copy the drum track from Style B to Style A. Then, use the "delete" feature to get rid of unwanted measures for that particular track. See if that works for you.

hejam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your feedback. I tried to delete procedures as you mentioned yesterday,tried all options such as cut, and paste features, but it seems there is no way to like moving the starting point of the beats to few measures ahead.
Regarding the external sequencer, also you can record your melody part, and then style, on Korg song sequencer. Then you can save it as a song, then you can IMPORT to the style as SMF ( single file music). It plays back, minus your melody. I think that Korg could look into these issues, but seems that there is not much options, and unfortunately Korg support says that we do not deal with how to things.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not true though. Your keyboard will playback the file/Style exactly as programmed. As long as you record your melody in one of the channels 9-16, everything will be imported. I always record the melodic material on Track 16 just to keep consistent but it wouldn't matter if you choose a different channel. There are no issues whatsoever, as I've done this over 1000 times.

hejam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So were you able to record your melody in channel 16, then started playing the style, then after you recorded your song, after that , WERE YOU ABLE TO IMPORT IT ON A STYLE INTRO? SO IT PLAYS EXACTLY AS YOU RECORDED? if you have been able to do this , this is great.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hejam wrote:
So were you able to record your melody in channel 16, then started playing the style, then after you recorded your song, after that , WERE YOU ABLE TO IMPORT IT ON A STYLE INTRO? SO IT PLAYS EXACTLY AS YOU RECORDED? if you have been able to do this , this is great.

Just so you know there's nothing magical about channel 16. I could do the same thing with other channels...it's just I like to do certain things with certain channels across all my styles. It makes it easy to remember where everything is.

Let's just forget about markers and all that for a sec. Just think of an Intro for example:

Oboe starts playing a solo phrase from bar 1. At bar 4 drums (or any other combination of acc tracks) come in. Say you have a total of 16 bars for intro 1.

As long as everything is assigned to midi channels 9-16 and also the entire arrangement is no longer than 32 bars, everything will be imported as you programmed in your external sequencer and I mean everything! If 32 bars is not enough, you can double the time signature and that gives 64 bars!

Same thing if you use markers (that is if you're doing multiple Style elements at once)...but if you already have existing styles and just want to mess with one element, then you just work on that one element only. Normally, I import that edited element into a separate empty user location and then from there I copy it to the destination element. That's just my workflow.

Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audio Sample:

It's a recording of an "Intro" for a custom Style that I made entirely in an external sequencer. It doesn't start with a solo but you can hear how the arrangement thins out multiple times throughout...Same concept...
The time signature is 2/4, but I changed it to 4/4 for Intro 1 only, so I could fit 64 bars in there. The rest of the style elements are set to 2/4.

The whole idea is you can do pretty much whatever you want as long as you're within those parameters. It's a highly flexibly machine for an arranger keyboard.

Here's the sample:
****link removed****

I'll delete the audio from my soundcloud channel in few days.

Last edited by Sam CA on Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted the wrong link. Sorry!

Here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/middleeasternkeyboards/intro-sample-korg-pa800-korg-pa3x/s-HobEo

hejam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: The puzzle solved Reply with quote

Hello Sam
Very good news. At last I could figure it out how to do this on the keyboard. On page 56 of the manual it talks about style measure cut.or delete.It worked so well. like on soft beat, which is 7 measures, I could delete 4 measures of the drum track. by highlighting measure one to beginning of measure 5, and then executed, and saved the style. I did not hear the drum, until measure 5 started.So I recorded my part during these silent measures.(1 to 4)
Now amazing thing is that after recording, when I started to play, I heard the original Intro1, then when I changed chords, suddenly I heard what I recorded as my intro1, and when I changed the chords( while keyboard was playing Intro1), again I heard the original intro1 started to play.
You see what has happened. It allows you to chose between your made up Intro. and the original Intro by pressing some keys. In other words now you can have 2 intro1. Now I am investigating how the keyboard determines this, but I am so happy now . It is a great relief.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

As far as the intro button triggering 2 different types of arrangement....the only thing that comes to my sleepy and tired mind right now is that you've possibly assigned/programmed CVs accidentally? That's probably why you get different intros based on the chord types you're holding. I can't think of any other scenario right now.......

hejam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that must be it. Thanks for the note.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa600/Pa300 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: