Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

volca sampler looks nice, but i will not buy it because
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olivander12

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am feeling exactly the same about the Volcas as the OP does. I was wondering if anybody could tell me about his experiences with BPM set to half/ or even quartertime, which theoretically makes 2 or 4 bars possible. A basic house beat is still possible, since you can put a kick on every quarter note and a snare on note 2 and 4, but does not that sounds very boring? Or is there even a way to "fake" shorter notes with bpm quartered?
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teknoid wrote:
My post was not negative. Just a feature request.
You can find ten thousand ways of bending reality and try to state that the feature is not needed: I disagree.

Your initial post was negative. You called the machine "gxddxmn LOOPY!," "such a bummer" and then later implied that how it operates is bugged.

Nobody here ever stated that Korg adding a Song Mode wouldn't be a great idea, we were simply posting alternative workarounds since Song Mode has not and still doesn't exist. These machines have been on sale for over a year now. If you weren't aware of their limitations before buying them, then you obviously purchased the wrong tool for the job.

And yes, this is a Korg forum. We are all official Korg marketing fanboys, despite the fact that this site is run and moderated independently. We're out to make sure everyone who buys a Volca gets screwed! HAHA! Big Brother is watching you... ROSEBUD! Rolling Eyes
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
teknoid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ re member

I have a right to state my opinion, Specially when it is critique in order to try to make a product better.

Have you any idea what a forum is for, next to 'showing off' your 'gearlist', singing for own church or starting little ego wars?

A strange forum it would be where you can not state your complaints and wishes.

I think I already dismissed all your clumsy 'workarounds'.
From all your comments in this thread I still have to see the first usefull, informed, relevant and adult contribution from you.

For the rest of us please keep it technical.

I guess the interview, event though very carefully and politicly handled by Korg Volca designer Tatsuya Takahashi, still has raised some hopes or expectations, at least by me...

Let's hope Korg still implements this feature, and make the Volca line really legendary...
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teknoid wrote:
@ re member

I have a right to state my opinion, Specially when it is critique in order to try to make a product better.

And it's an opinion that has been stated on this forum several times over for more than a year now. It's a valid opinion, but the last update was over a year ago and even that interview you posted was from over a year ago. Most will agree that Song Mode would be a great update, but the fact that is hasn't happened by now suggests that it's technically not possible.

And this is why other users and myself were posting workarounds. You're having issues with the product as-is, and people are letting you know other ways they use them. So in addition to complaining and praying for the Korg Gods to listen, this forum is actually used for shared user advice. If external MIDI sequencing is too "clumsy" for you, we can simplify things more so your live music isn't stuck in a "loopy one-bar bug..."

Program a one-bar loop, then save it to Pattern 1.
Select Pattern 2, program another one-bar loop, save it to Pattern 2.
Repeat the process for all eight patterns.
Now you can manually switch between loops and overwrite them anytime you want!
And you can do it all entirely live without any kind of Song Mode.

Live Volcas for the win!
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to add this: so many people always have something to complain about. Do I wish the Volcas had song mode? Of course I do. Do I wish they had fine tuning, a step edit where you could change the note you want like you can on electribes? You bet. Do I wish they had a plethora of other features? Certainly. But the fact is, these are devices for $150 (USD). How much do you really expect them to do? For what you're paying, I think they're fantastic. You can't get everything for next to nothing, sorry. And because we post some suggestions for workarounds doesn't make us fanboys or suckas or whatever you want to write us off as. We're just being realistic, and working with what we have around us. What's funny is back in the day, you'd never get updates for products, it was sold as is, quirks and all. Know what you're getting into before buying anything.
teknoid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some people always have something to complain about. Of course I could think of more extra functions, but i don't. And never did.
I really had my hopes up for this one: a simple pattern chain for two patterns would suffice.

Quote:

of course I realise that but to do this on 2, 3 or even 4 Korg Volca's leaves no time to tweak all the other buttons and functions...

But I guess you are right: it has been more than a year now. Maybe it is rather unlikely an update like this still comes.
I had the trio from the day they where available here b.t.w...

who know's an update comes as a unsuspected surprise one day. I have to find out how long it took before they did the monotribe update.

I ordered Volca Sampler today Cool

Last edited by teknoid on Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:43 pm; edited 7 times in total
brambos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teknoid wrote:
I ordered Korg Sampler yesterday Cool

Any insights on shipping/launch date? I want one too Smile
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One reason I'm saying no to the Volca Sampler: *Sample input only possible via special iOS app.

Come on Korg...an input is cheaper than an USB input.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teknoid wrote:
Quote:

of course I realise that but to do this on 2, 3 or even 4 Korg Volca's leaves no time to tweak all the other buttons and functions...

Practice makes perfect. There's a few videos online with people juggling between patterns and perform full live sets, but I agree, it's awkward. Switching patterns on the fly requires like three fingers. I could do it with one hand, but for the kind of music I make, it's just not practical.

As a side note: If you're interested in the new Electribes that are coming out, the good news is that you can switch between patterns easily and actually record and save a session of everything you're doing live with the sequencer to be played back automatically. It's sort of like a Song Mode. I thought about getting a Volca Sample, but I think the new Electribe Sampler will be a more flexible workhorse alongside the existing Volcas.
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hang on..i'm with teknoid on this. 'goddamn loopy' isn't negative,
it's a fact. the lack of a way to build a track will result in fairly
simplistic, and above all temporary compositions, that you can't
correct after recording, which was always the problem with
instruments with limited midi(unless you had a multitrack)

the result is that things get a bit same-y quickly. don't get me wrong,
i love these volcas, but there are frustrations beyonf the appeal of
the original concept, which is, in practice, a bit simplistic.

on the other hand, too many features, and you get lost in detail.

one way round this problem is to fit midi out to all of them, and
get them to send their midi to a master sequencer, whence will
be sent back out to them their midi. eg: get a qy70 (or something
a bit more immediate, like your computer) - in this role, you get all
the benefit of realtime writing of MIDI, and the immediacy of these
sequencers.

and another solution to the song mode problem could be quite easily
resolved by assigning each pattern to a midi address, such as a program
change#. all the addresses already exist, and if the midi implementation
is as complete as is suggested by the Keys' ability to receive CC#s, it
should be pretty easy to rewrite things for a future update. almost no
excuse not to do it. i even wonder if the cpu could not be exploited to
provide more memory locations for more patterns (9-16? bank2?).
button combinations can do this.

on another note, i've discovered something that's a bit of a p*ss-off:
if you slave eg: Beats to MIDI start/stop/clock, and sync-chain the
others to it, they do not start.stop with MIDI. at least this is what i was
getting, maybe i did something wrong. you'd have to have each one
MIDI'ed up to do this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: