Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Kingkorg sound similar or better than a Radias?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Keyboarders have their own taste and decide what they want and need, just like I do, and I completely understand and accept that anytime.

Excellent post. Thanks!

Very Happy
djcactus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like the KK's existence has a lot to do with the wants from people who tested out the korg sv-1. People liked the set up but wanted synth sounds, in my experience i guess im trying to say that its a synth thats inbetween the sv-1 and the radias. By all means call me out if im wrong, this is entirely speculation.
Vampyre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slug wrote:
curvebender wrote:
Features and specifications aside, the KK has something that the Radias doesn't: fantastic sound. It's easily the best sounding VA out there.

Yeah of course its not ALL about features, in fact I would say in general even the simple Waldorf Rocket sounds better than both the Korgs. That said the lack of a second filter, free LFO and third envelope on the KK in particular restricts creative patch construction compared with Radias, which is what i was trying to get at.

What lack of a second filter do you mean?

A KK can have two Timbres per patch, each with three oscillators, a filter and its associated ADSR contour generator, an amplifier and its ADSR contour generator, plus a pair of sync'able LFOs.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course he means a second filter for one and the same timbre.
A second filter is very useful as envelope for more flexible kinds of modulation.

Else I wouldn't agree that the Waldorf rocket sounds "better" than both Korgs. In fact I like the Kingkorg sound a lot more than that of the Rocket, not because it's bad (in fact it has a lot of raw power), but because I don't get those smooth different filter sounds from it which I like so much from the KK.
Vampyre

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Of course he means a second filter for one and the same timbre.
A second filter is very useful as envelope for more flexible kinds of modulation.

Else I wouldn't agree that the Waldorf rocket sounds "better" than both Korgs. In fact I like the Kingkorg sound a lot more than that of the Rocket, not because it's bad (in fact it has a lot of raw power), but because I don't get those smooth different filter sounds from it which I like so much from the KK.

I guess I don't understand what is the issues with using the second timbre filter? would it not give the same results if the second timber was a copy of the first timbre with a different filter? Am I confused? asking.. thanks
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how a second filter would work as modulation source, but many vintage synths that the KK tries to emulate have a non resonant HPF in addition to a resonant LPF. Admittedly you can KINDA get there using the EQ but certainly a dedicated second filter would give more sound shaping possibilities. Personally the main issues I've run into when emulating Juno and JX sounds specifically have been the lack of a dedicated LFO delay parameter and the limited chorus effect. The PolySix chorus in my Kronos sounds a whole lot better for that kind of stuff. The Junos and JXs also had a dedicated non resonant HPF by the way.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All advanced modern synths (Access Virus, many software synths) have a second filter (or more), for many purposes. Examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqbplI6V7M8

A second filter also allows you to let modulation targets run through an envelope, as opposed to the regular cycle of an LFO. For example, if I want the resonance amount not to modulate cycling (LFO), but running through a typical ADSR curve which is independant of the first filter, I can use the second filter for that.

A second filter would be an enourmous improvement for the flexibility of the Kingkorg.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean an extra independent ADSR then, not a filter? I agree there, as it could also work as an LFO delay.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, for modulation I was speaking of a second envelope, as we know it from the filter ADSR envelope. Concerning the other options (in the video), I mean a second filter itself, to combine filter variations.

I should have separated both more clearly to avoid confusion. And it would be great if the KK had both.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: