Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Behringer x 32 line

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Behringer x 32 line Reply with quote

I have been wanting a control surface and needing an audio interface I have a small yamaha mg10 mixer which I can use up all inputs on and still need more.
I am curious if anyone had looked at played with or considered one of these Behrigner X 32 digital mixers. I have been reading and watching vids and it seems like a possible compromise for the things I would like above combined into one unit. What do you think? Thanks!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music school I work at bought one for the in house studio on my recommendation. I can't say I've used it intensively but I did set it up for them and I use it occasionally. It takes some getting used to but I find it very flexible and powerful. We use it to drive six headphone mixes and two regular stereo monitor sets, and to record sixteen tracks from the recording room next door. And also to play back stuff from the computer, obviously. It works really well and the price point is practically unbeatable. I have used it briefly as a control surface in Logic but I can't comment on how tight the integration is. It does have a dedicated button to go into control surface mode and I seemed to be able to browse groups of eight channel and use the bus faders to control them (we have the original X32). Latency-wise it did well and of course you can use on-board fx during tracking. Everything goes through a single USB cable which is convenient. Important to note is that the midi ports can only be use to control the X32, there is no pass-through to play soft synths. And that all regular channel inputs are XLR only. Wish they would have gone with combo connectors. Other than that - great product!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander, thanks!
Truth is it is probably way overkill for me but for inputs my ten channel is to small when several items are stereo they go quick, but I saw it and like I mentioned for a control surface nothing to elaborate faders button etc it is ok I need an audio interface and that darn UAD quad is expensive or something of similar quality, so I thought something like the producer could but an item that would cover multiple tasks for me. I appreciate the input, I do need to think about this some more. Thanks!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've honestly looked at the Producer version myself. I have an old PCI+breakout box E-MU card I still use but it's been unsupported since Windows 7 and while the beta drivers work ok, it's gonna crap out on me at some point.

I think it's a very comprehensive package. I like the workflow, although some things are a little tricky to get your head around. May be just because I haven't used digital mixing desks a lot though. For pure sound quality I feel inclined to go with something like an RME UFX but again the price point and feature set of the Behringer is practically unbeatable. I don't really have complaints about its sound quality either. I bet the RME would be better but there are no directly obvious faults with it.

You realize that an UAD quad is an entirely different animal, right? They're usually bought for the FX. Which you have to buy separately. People who have one usually swear by the quality of the FX. I can't really comment on that except that the general principle amounts to it being a very expensive dongle.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UAD was what I was considering for an audio interface because of the thunderbolt ability. Behringer is my thought process to kill a few birds with one stone. A bigger mixer, audio interface and control surface all wrapped up into one box. Perhaps I am looking at it wrong. I did see the FX with UAD and probably wouldn't have bought anything beyond what it shipped with but anything is possible. I know people swear by them.

Truth is for my home use I don't need a control surface, just a nice workflow enhancer, and I don't need the audio interface I can get things in limitedly with the Kronos or a USB mic, but I really would like one and a bigger mixer isn't a must but would make things a bit easier. So I go back and forth. I also could use a couple more snares! A sub for the the QSCK10 and like always the list goes on.

Thanks!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I have an endless list like that too Smile
I wouldn't try to fixate on the UAD for Thunderbolt though. Their cards really are mostly about the fx quality and there is no real significant advantage in using Thunderbolt for audio. There is an advantage for UAD because they can run their custom DSP FX on the card via the Thunderbolt interface, inside Logic projects. For audio recording and soft synth playing USB or Firewire (compatible with Thunderbolt) is just fine.

Anyway, just my opinion. Good luck deciding! Wink
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am saving for one of these no doubt now unless something better come out in the same price range but since I am in save mode Inthink I will shoot for the compact. I have a xxx half stack I just might sell to add to the pot! I have a hard time selling any gear!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey SanderXpander you guys use X32 would you see any use of actually having one of the Xtouch line linked into it. I see Behringer has that ability but it look pretty simple to just use the X32 itself for such a purpose? Just curious on your take. Thanks!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I am not familiar with the XTouch at all. It sounds like a controller?
I don't have too much experience using the X32 as a controller. I think it uses the Mackie Control standard which is supported by most major hosts. Maybe google X32+your favorite DAW or Mackie Control+your favorite DAW.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking into a few of the new digital mixer that use a remote iPad or another tablet for mixing and you just set up a box on stage where the connector box for a snake would normally go. There's a few that are already out or coming out soon:

Here is the Behringer x18 Air series: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/Xr18.aspx/

PreSonus Studio Live: http://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-RM-Series

and the Mackie dl32r: http://dl32r.mackie.com/
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just curious if it wasn't a bit redundant to have both even though they are designed to work together. I suppose it does eliminate the need to with modes.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I still haven't gotten a mixer and I just saw this, Soundcraft Si Impact, which looks nice as well, has anyone used SI before? Will it compare favorably to the Behringer we have been talking about?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: