Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I use SV-1 as a controller for vsts/DAW?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mind Flayer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Can I use SV-1 as a controller for vsts/DAW? Reply with quote

I am in the market for a keyboard. Currently, aside from my piano, all I have is an M-Audio 49-key controller, which I use to play through Logic Express.

I have tried out the SV-1, Casio PX-5S, the Krome, Kross, etc., and the SV-1 hands down feels the best to me.

The ONLY thing that is making me hesitate is the relatively low number of sounds available on the SV-1. Is it possible to hook up the SV-1 to my computer and use it as a DAW controller to play VSTs and other software instruments?

Also, is it possible to hook the SV-1 up to some sort of rackmount unit that would give me more sound options? If so, does anybody have any recommendations for affordable units?

Thanks!
Ignatius_Gerumpany

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Rack mount pal for the SV-1 Reply with quote

While I do not look for a great many voices, I got a Nord Electro 2 rack mount that I drive through the SV-1 (hitting "local off.")

It provides me a B-3 clonewheel with virtual drawbars that I love. I can also add two Rhodes and a Wurli piano that I like.

The SV-1 is for the great pianos, additional e Pianos, and the combo organs.

So, the SV-1 is a fine midi driver. However, you may need to figure out the interface. The USB connector may be only for the software editor - I am not sure. The MIDI Out is a five pin. So, I leave it to others on this forum to give you the rest of the low down.
thefallingmonster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind Flayer -- Yes! External rack mounts, synths etc. can all be controlled through the SV-1. Also, it will connect to your comp as a MIDI controller and work like your current controller.

An example of an affordable rack mount is an old TX81Z tone generator. It's an FM synthesizer and definitely from another era, but I love mine and they're pretty affordable on eBay.

If not that, find one that's right for your project. You can probably find one on craigslist for as low as $50-100, or as high as $5000+ for units by Eventide etc.
xp50player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for modules:

$100-200
Roland JV-1080 with Vintage Synth board SRJV80-05
Korg TR Rack (Trinity)

$200-300
Roland XV-5050

$350-500
Korg Triton Rack
Yamaha Motif ES
Roland XV-5080
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: