Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What microphone to use with the vocoder.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldretro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: What microphone to use with the vocoder. Reply with quote

I want to use the vocoder, but I'm not sure what microphone to buy. I have one with 1/4 jack but I'd like one that can be directly plugged into the 3 pin input without having to use a converter(?) plug. Ideal would be something like the Microkorg has, but Korg doesn't seem to sell it seperately. At least there is no mention on the Korg website, nor in the manual as an accessoires. Perhaps some one here who has some experience with a good microphone?
baD mR fRosTy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Shure headset mic for my various vocoders (MS-2000, micro-korg), but they have 1/4" inputs.

Of course, headsets can be configured with a balanced (XLR 3-prong) cable as well...it's just that mine was designed for a wireless pack.

The advantage I have found is that there is less bleed from the other instruments/drum machines etc when using the headset mic (directional cardoid).

However. if you have never tried vocoding a drum machine pattern, you must!
djcactus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any dynamic live mic will do, in fact, DJTechTools just did a review on a bunch of affordable mic's (not including the go to shure, which is explained)

http://www.djtechtools.com/2014/04/29/review-four-great-budget-microphones-for-djs/
Oldretro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djcactus wrote:
Any dynamic live mic will do, in fact, DJTechTools just did a review on a bunch of affordable mic's (not including the go to shure, which is explained)

http://www.djtechtools.com/2014/04/29/review-four-great-budget-microphones-for-djs/

Thanks for the link. The AKG looks like the most interesting one to me. Not much of the cheap ones have an XLR connector it seems, so I have to use a converter plug.
slowtrain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all of those mics (and most others) have XLR connectors. They're recessed into the handle, so you can't see the pins in those pictures. I'd recommend the Sennheiser e835 (or e835s if you'd like a switch). It has a cardioid pattern instead of supercardioid like the e840 that was reviewed in the linked article. A cardioid pattern will pick up high frequencies from a wider angle. Supercardioid is a narrow pattern for maximum feedback rejection or to keep other instruments from getting into the mic. I suspect that's why he found it rolled off high frequencies. I don't think a keyboard player would need a supercardioid mic. The Sennheisers actually have a nice presence boost in the vocal range. The Shure SM57 is another good one, and it's very versatile in case you ever need to mic a guitar amp (or many other instruments). Both are $99.
kkorgian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap mic's are often full of character...add a toilet roll tube or biscuit tin, you will be amazed at the tonal variations.

Some of the pro mics can be thin and tinny because they are designed to cut through a live stage mix, they are often designed to reduce feedback and handling noise...some times you want raw rather than refined.

A mic mixer can be used to feed in multiple mics for extra variation and blending.

PS most headphones can also due mic duty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: