Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with reverb effect in performance mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Problems with reverb effect in performance mode Reply with quote

Hi, can anyone tell me how to get the Master effects reverb (Any reverb) to JUST pan to left or right? I want to set up a split Bass/Piano, with the bass having no effects and going only to the left output. Ignoring any insert effects for the moment, I then want the Piano to come out of the right output WITH the master reverb ONLY coming out of the right output. Any attempt to add reverb to a sound renders 100% wet reverb sound coming out of the bass channel, as if the reverb is hardwired to stereo. Even my old X5 could do this... any suggestions? Thanks, Grumster...
twstone1983

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can think for you to try to do is set the Bass to OSC1 and have that route to MFX1 (with reverb selected) and pan it left. Set the Piano to OSC2, route that to MFX2 (with no effect selected) and pan it all the way right. Aside from that, your option would be to utilize the IFX.

The X5 only has 2 total effects, where as the Kross has 2 Master and 5 Insert. You have to keep that in mind when comparing the 2.

Let us know how it works, I dont have to Kross in front of me to test it myself.

Current Gear: N364, TR88, Kross61, Art Pro MPA II, Studio Projects B1, Shure SM58/SM57, Behringer C1, Behringer XM8500, Yamaha MG 10/2, Behringer Xenyx 1002FX, Steinberg CI2, Cubase AI 6.
castorex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand you want bass to the left without master effect, and piano to the right with master effect.
So after you made your split, you are in combi mode (split => combi).
Now you can use the mixer page of the combi mode to change the pan, then go to the C-FX Routing page/send page and change the send value to 000 for the master effect related to reverb (2 I think, 1 is for chorus) for the bass timbre (I don't remember the timbre numbers for the left/right split).
This works if the timbre does not use an IFX. If the routing of the bass timbre uses an IFX (1 for example), then go to the C-IFXx routing (C-IFX1 for example) and change the send value of this effect to 000 for the master effect 2 (reverb).

I hope it is clear... I don't have the Kross front of me, but the documentation is opened.
Grumster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, thanks for quick replies... I am in "Combi" mode here. I'll try and be a bit clearer with the way I want to use the synth. In the duo I'm in, I'm playing LH bass and RH playing piano & whatever else is needed i.e. organ/brass etc, and need to individually control volumes of bass to all other instruments externally. When I first got the Kross I'd programmed a load of sounds ready to gig only after rehearsal to prefer the piano sound on the X5D, so carried on like that, but the organs are so much better. Went back to basics, turned ALL effects off and started from scratch. (So NOT using any IFX for now). All good until you want a bit of 'verb - there's no setting to pan the MFX, so the RH gives nice reverbed piano, but LH gives bass and the reverb tail of the piano! IMHO most of those Insert effects are largely useless as you can't have reverb or delay as an insert FX, all those speaker cabinet sims are just fancy EQs. The X5D could at least supply reverb AND delay at the same time!
castorex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want master reverb effect for the bass timbre, don't rout this timbre to this master effect: send value 000 to have a dry sound.
Grumster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bass isn't routed to any FX, is on 000 for dry sound, and routed left to only come out of the left output. No FX = fine. Bang on.... However, when I turn on the reverb in MFX2 (as that's the only place it exists!?!?) I still get the reverb only of the piano (not the actual sound) coming out of the left output when the piano itself is panned right. Further checking seems to be that ALL Master Effects completely ignore any panning settings and come out of both outputs! (I Tried "Red Comp" and a compressed piano came out of the left output...) Uh? Surely I can't be the only one using a synth in this way? lol!
castorex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems to be a software bug... you need to send this ticket to Korg for a firmware update.
Grumster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, OK, how do I do that? Can't imagine it's a software bug, but may be interesting to get Korg's reaction to it to see if it's just the limitation of the software. Aside from the panning issue, it does seem odd though for a brand new bit of gear to only be capable of ONE hard-wired-to-stereo reverb per performance patch?
Salzbunny

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% Grumster. I am trying to do the exact same thing and running into the same problem. I agree that it can only be a software (or I think its technically firmware in the case of standalone synths) bug, or maybe just a design oversight. Though you CAN adjust the panning on the IFX, it seems that this panning does not then carry through to the master effect the IFX is sent to. There is NOT a separate panning option for master FX. They need to change that. Maybe they think that this is a lower-end workstation with only a basic L/R stereo pair output, and thus not designed to have separate outputs for separate instruments. But I think it would not be hard for them to change this weird master FX problem, so that we could at least use the left and right outputs separately with no FX leakage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: