Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Limiting Timbre SW2 Octave Up to certain Timbres?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timg11

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Limiting Timbre SW2 Octave Up to certain Timbres? Reply with quote

I have a Combi with 3 Timbres. I want SW2 to raise the octave of only one of those Timbres.

Under Combination P1: Controllers, Controllers tab I have SW2 set to Octave Up.

Under MIDI Filter Zones 3, I have "Enable SW2" unchecked for all except the Timbre I want to control.

However SW2 still affects all the Timbres. Even if the entire row of Enable SW2 is unchecked, SW2 still affects all the Timbres.

What is the correct procedure to accomplish what I'm trying to do?
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Octave Up/Down settings are global. The SW1/2 filters on the MIDI Filters 3 page will work (disable per timbre) only when the switch(es) are assigned to SW1 Mod. (CC#80), SW2 Mod. (CC#81), or Portamento SW (CC#65).

To do what you want, you will need to edit the program that you want to transpose so that SW2 Mod (CC#81) raises the pitch by an octave - this is done on the OSC Pitch pages. Do check the program first to see if it's already assigned that way. In your combi, you then assign SW2 to CC#81.

If you don't want to edit the program and if you aren't using KARMA for anything, you could use KARMA to transpose just that the one timbre. Instead of reaching for SW2, you would have to reach for the KARMA ON/OFF switch to make the transposition happen. The process for doing this in a combi is about as equally involved as modifying a program, but doesn't change the actual program or require a copy of it.

There is also the possibility of using Tone Adjust to transpose too.
timg11

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand, but I think the functionality is unnecessarily constrained.

13 of the 15 functions that a switch can perform are not assigned to a MIDI CC. Two functions per switch are able to generate MIDI CCs. When any of other 13 are used, the MIDI filter row labeled "Enable SW2" is supposed to have no function?

Wouldn't it be useful for the Filter row labeled "Enable SW2" to always function as an enable for SW2, regardless of how SW2 is assigned?
Is there any other function that the MIDI filter row labeled "Enable SW2" is able to perform when the switch is set to a function other than MIDI CC80, 81 or 65?

It appears that the useful functionality of enabling or disabling the switches on a per-Timbre basis is "thrown away" for 85% of the assignments.
Granted the filters page is titled "MIDI" filters, but if the function is otherwise unused and no conflicts are caused, why not use it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: