Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EXB 06/07

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gweglarz1099

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: EXB 06/07 Reply with quote

Triton Extreme 88

I have a weird problem. I have the EXB 06/07 boards - two sets actually. I have the sample chip in the first slot. When I insert one of the EXB 06 or 07 - doesn't matter which one or in which slot - it works fine. When I insert the second board, I get huge amounts of static on all banks.

I bought new a new sample dim and two sets of the EXB 06/07 to see if the boards were faulty, tried a combination of all dimms in all slots, but nothing works.

So, anybody experience this?

I know the EXB 06/07 are supposed to be installed together, but if worst comes to worst, can I install just one?
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK Triton Extreme is not compatible installation of EXB boards -- most of the Triton series EXB (ROM) cards are already part of the 'Extreme' architecture and thus "installed" elsewhere.

The good news is that EXB 6 & 7 (orchestral) are already included in their entirety. For you, unfortunately, that means your cards are redundant so you can sell 'em . (FYI: a couple of the other EXB's samples are cut down a bit for some reason -- regardless they can't be installed either.)

The available slots are for sample RAM (blank) only and not EXB, tho' they look identical for all intents and purposes and can be physically settled into that standard slot fixture.

So what you're getting, I think is a null response for the EXB's; you can install the .pcg file and it'll work because it's looking for EXB 6 & 7 in the Extreme's internal EXB (you'll see "orchestral" when you look at the available ROM sample tables for OSC assignment) -- the programs work just fine.

But when you add or mix ROM (EXB) with RAM it's trying to set things up to run through the cumulative memory; two "broken" (not RAM) cards and and one working and that is where you're encountering that static.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm intrigued what it means that it "works fine" when installing one board only.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant was that EXB files (stock disk) will look for and find the appropriate samples in TREX ROM, and work.

Dunno what the OP is experiencing -- seems to me that sample memory and EXBs are so different that there should be a noticeable if not dramatic impact even if just one is installed.

BB

+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
gweglarz1099

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Problem restated. Reply with quote

When I install both the 06 and 07 I get extreme static playing through headphones, TOS, and 1/4"

If I install just 1 it works fine.

BillBaker, all of the EXB 06/07 are installed in the Preloaded Banks?

~I just took inventory, and in the .pcg files for 06/07, there is one program that is not on my preloaded samples from the Korg CD. If install that into an empty program bank, will it work without the XEXB card?

I can resell the 06/07 on eBay?

Thanks,
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge both 6 and 7 are there in full.

You can check the ROM yourself by opening an edit menu and looking at the samples used by OSC 1 or OSC 2 -- there's a pull-down menu that will show you the sample banks that correspond to the Classic basic waves and the various "extreme" sample libraries derived from the EXB's.

Unfortunately, not all the EXB-clone banks in the Extreme are complete, there are some SFX/drum kits missing as well as the "chinese violin", but there are a couple of new samples (like Ullean Pipes and some of the vocal kits) to make up for the lack.

The 6 and 7 ROM banks are called something like Ensemble/Strings and Orchestral Instruments, and are (AFAIK) complete clones.

My take would be that if you have the Extreme any EXB expansions are superfluous --- so, yeah, sell 'em on eBay... or spring an additional $300 or so for a back-up triton/triton rack and install them where they can truly be useful.

BB

SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that any EXB card installed in any of the RAM slots would do anything at all, so perhaps by "work fine" you mean you don't get static? I doubt you would even be able to access the samples on the card - rather, they are already in the Extreme's internal ROM. Definitely get rid of them. Even if there were any samples on there that aren't already in the Extreme (which I don't think is the case), you wouldn't be able to access them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: