Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mixers for the Volca series
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean Scott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Mixers for the Volca series Reply with quote

My apologies if this topic has been covered, but I am looking for an affordable mixer under $100 for using with the Volca series. Can anyone offer some suggestions?

I looked into some Behringer mixers that seem good, but as I am new to all this, I wasn't sure which mixer would work best with the mono outputs of the Volcas (I'm pretty sure they are mono). I'm looking for a small, 4 channel mixer to use for live performances.

Any help would be highly appreciated! Thanks.
volcaPaul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The volca output is via a stereo jack with the same audio on both channels.

I have a behringer mixer, a xenyx q1002USB, and that has mono inputs, but it also has stereo channels where it takes a mono input for left and right respectively. To use it I can use any of the following setups:

a 3.5mm stereo to 2 x 6.35mm mono (1 each for left and right channels) cable,

a standard 3.5mm stereo to 3.5mm stereo cable and a 3.5mm stereo to 6.35 mono converter plugged into the mixer

a 3.5mm stereo jack to 6.35mm mono socket plugged into the volca and a standard 6.35 mono to 6.35 mono cable to the mixer

the same logic would apply to any mixer.

it's worth thinking about the future though when buying a mixer - having an all mono channel mixer will be limiting if you want to add stereo effects further down the road. Also, some of the behringers include onboard effects for very little extra money (eg the qx1002usb).
Tom 62

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly the Volca Keys has a stereo output.
volcaPaul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, stereo 3.5mm jack - same output on both left and right channels so they play nice with headphones. same with all 3 volcas.
Tom 62

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volcaPaul wrote:
yes, stereo 3.5mm jack - same output on both left and right channels so they play nice with headphones. same with all 3 volcas.

I meant actually the signal not only the jack. If I remember correctly the delay fx of the Keys is stereo. But maybe I'm wrong.
volcaPaul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just ran the vkeys with the delay set to full through wavelab and the audio is identical for both left and right.

Dean Scott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the information. Should've realized they are obviously stereo, being that they are compatible with headphone use. Have any of you looked at the Behringer Micromix MX400? Looks like a nice entry-level little mixer.
volcaPaul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's 4 mono ins mixed to 1 mono out (TS connectors are mono) - does that work for you?

Doesn't leave much scope for bring effects into play further down the road - especially when you compare it to the other relatively low cost behringer mixers that add a lot more features like usb audio interface, effects send/built in effects, stereo etc
Dean Scott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right about the limitations. I'll most likely look into getting the qx1002usb in anticipation of doing more with my mixer down the road. Thanks for the help and info.
volcaPaul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my q1002USB for the qx1002usb which arrived today. I think given the small difference in price it's a no-brainer and I wish I'd bought the qx from the getgo. The built-in effects aren't breaking new ground, but it's nice to have them readily available.

fwiw, here are the effects:

Maine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Volca Sample has a true stereo output, don't forget. It's the first in the range to have a pan control.
Dean Scott

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be receiving a Rolls MX44S Mini Mix IV for Christmas to use with my Volcas. Anyone have experience with them? Nothing fancy, but it seems like it will work well with my (soon to be complete) Volca series.
Tom 62

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean Scott wrote:
I'll be receiving a Rolls MX44S Mini Mix IV for Christmas to use with my Volcas. Anyone have experience with them? Nothing fancy, but it seems like it will work well with my (soon to be complete) Volca series.

4 Inputs for 4 Volcas, battery operated, tiny size = perfect!
LouisJB

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plug these in to my ADAT I/O and mix them digitally in the PC. But for on the move, as a small mobile setup I'm thinking an Alesis Multimix 8 2.0 FX might be a good choice? That can give all channels to the PC over USB also if optionally connected to a DAW.

However, I plan to do the multi-out on the beats, that's probably about say 6 channels
Bass
Snare
Toms
Hats
Claps
other PCMs

And possibly 3 out for the Bass, one per OSc. So even just the two little boxes could need 9+ channels, however when out and about I suspect pre-mixed signals should be ok, they can be split and recorded individually when there's something worth recording.

Anyone tried the Alesis Multimix 8 2.0? In particular the new 2.0 model, not the previous one that only had 2 channels to the host PC over USB 1.x
Flaken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volcaPaul wrote:
I changed my q1002USB for the qx1002usb which arrived today. I think given the small difference in price it's a no-brainer and I wish I'd bought the qx from the getgo. The built-in effects aren't breaking new ground, but it's nice to have them readily available.

fwiw, here are the effects:

I, I got all three Volcas, reading and analizing this post I think the QX is the more versatil Mixer for the Volcas and I also plan to add an Ipad and maybe some more stuff. Also, the possibility to record via the usb output to the Computer looks great. Do you thinks thatthis option is still the best one nowadays?

Many thanks, I am totally new in this music world and ai really appreciate some help in taking dessisions Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: