Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Went to update to 3.0.2 - DEAD KRONOS. :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichF

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "8-12 weeks" statement is a boilerplate response for a part that they do not currently have in stock.

We stand by what we've said, and as I mentioned, I will follow up.

Thanks,
-Rich
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, MUCH appreciated.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I service Yamaha products and whenever I order a part that is not in stock in the US it's considered back ordered and assumed 6 to 8 weeks. Usually that's worse case as many times its actually sooner.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Rich and Dan for assisting you on this matter. It is still astonishing to me that it takes all of this fumbling around to get a major component to the keyboard. No disrespect at all to Dan or Rich. They are a Godsend on this site, but really. I hope you get your keyboard up and running very soon. I have been following this thread and I think if it were me I would try one of the options recommended here that used an external power supply connected to it's counterpart on the motherboard. That way less heat would be generated and I would think that would be better for the keyboard.

Hopefully they will give it to you as a Christmas present. I mean really give it to you. Like at no cost. For all that you have been through.

Best regards to you this holiday season, and to all Korg forum members. And let's not forget Dan and Rich. A very Merry Christmas to you both.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it very concerning that such a critical part has been so difficult to obtain! The power supply is one of the components that is most prone to failure; it is something that should be readily accessible and easily replaced.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Korg doesn't think so. I am a bit confused with this dilemma myself. You are so right, the power supply is very prone to failure. Probably one of the most common failures in computers, even though the Kronos is not a computer. It just happens to have a motherboard, memory and a SSD, with keys of course. Maybe it's a toaster. Anyway, such is the policy of niche type products. Back to the hampsters.
lotty1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
As always, MUCH appreciated.

-Mc

Sorry to here about your kronos.
I believe you have found out that it the power supply.
If you still have it check the top of the capacitors they should all be flat.
if any are bulging they could be faulty.
Hope this make sense.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I haven't updated in a few days. Holidays and band turmoil are keeping my busy.

ANYWAY

It appears that Parts is Parts was referencing an old parts list and were using an old part number instead of the newer substituted part number. Korg has worked with them on my behalf and Parts is Parts contacted me and said they can order me one and it shouldn't take anywhere near as long as originally quoted (maybe a week or two to get to me). So it looks like they are available today. What I don't know is WHICH power supply is being shipped (Kronos or Kronos X compatibility) so I don't know if I'll need a new wiring harness to get it to install cleanly. They are checking on that for me right now.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel. I will keep this thread updated as I learn info. I haven't ordered anything yet because I want to see if I need to order the wiring harness to go along with it (combined shipping).

On the plus side in this needlessly long thread is it appears that the part number situation has been resolved in the event anyone else needs to order one here in the states, so I'm glad that came out of it. Once I find out if it's a direct replacement or not I'll update here as well so it's documented for future use.

The other plus side is once I get this swapped out, I'll finally get a chance to try 3.0.2 OS!

As always, thanks again to Dan and Rich for getting me to this point. I honestly couldn't have done it alone.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you are getting the problem sorted out. Hopefully you will be up and running shortly. Thank you for sharing your experience with the rest of us. Have a happy holiday and great New Year. You desire it.
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, this thread is awesome... I love that Dan & Rich have both come in to help out....

I really do not like these service centers.... I own an "out of warranty" shop here in LA and I cannot believe what comes in here straight from the service center's bench.... A few that stick out to me would be a newer roland where the 'service technician' removed the power supply board, installed a generic laptop brick, put a few regulators on perfboard, without heatsinks, and wired the thing up. Yeah, the synth turned on... but once you play more than 4 notes, it reboots.... Really?! The customer had it performed under warranty... which means they did not pay.... which also means that the service center must have still received the part from roland, and very potentially flipped it on ebay or the likes.... kind of shady practice...

A kronos came in when we first opened.... it had lines through the display and a few other small faults.... they had taken it to a service center and they got it back, without the chance to test it in shop, and the center told them that they replaced the screen and it should be fixed.... got to my shop, same lines through the display...... wat.... also, all the smaller issues still remained. I voided their warranty, but fixed her kronos... happy ending?

I feel like a lot of shops, at least here in los angeles, do what i call (oscillo)scope fixes. They dont actually do a practical test before or after service. They hook up a scope or meter, test voltages, they see their test signal going to the output, close it up and say it's working properly... I find these to be the most enjoyable (and sometimes the easiest) jobs that come into my shop....

I wonder what would happen with the manufacturers actually saw inside of some of these service centers.... I've had a couple employees who've worked for them and nothing good to say. One of my techs said that a service center (near my shop) had so many keyboards around, they would leave them on the floor, and one tech was kind of a doof and tripped over them numerous times, and charged the manufacturer for the parts.....

Unbelievable...

/rant

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...

Got my new power supply (Thanks again to Dan and Rich). Removed the brackets from the old power supply, put them on the new power supply, mounted everything, reconnected all the wiring harnesses and...

nothing.

It still doesn't work.

Now I'm confused as hell. This power supply tests exactly the same as the old power supply. So either the power supply I was sent was bad (and I highly doubt that) or something else is bad. Since the display doesn't come on and no fans spin up, what else could it be?

-Mc
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh No! After all this time. I am truly sorry for your situation. I wonder if you have a bad solder joint on the power supply connector on the motherboard. I had this happen on my Yamaha ES8. In that case it was a circuit board as the ES8 does not have a motherboard like the Kronos. It would turn on then off, then on; and then maybe stay on. I only found the fault because of a little spark that I saw when I opened the keyboard to see if I could find anything. When it did not start it was exactly like you are describing the Kronos. No lights, no nothing. In your case it would involve disconnecting everything and looking at the bottom of the motherboard. Can't say that is your problem. Korg would probably replace your motherboard rather than try and troubleshoot it. I so hope you get this squared away soon. This is the thread from hell. Please Korg send this man some good Karma.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real pain indeed!!

Lonelagranger has just beaten me to the only suggestion I could make.
It's similar to motherboard psu connector symptoms and all you can do is to
check it out as best you can.

Good Luck.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next step is to bypass the goofy switch assembly completely and wire the power supply directly to the wall. I'm going to pick up some alligator clips at Radio Shack and solder them to a power cable for testing. I suppose I should have done this before I ordered the PSU but I'm not against having a spare. The switch is definitely getting power to the PSU and the standby light does come on when I turn the switch on. Very confusing.

-Mc
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I understand what you are doing. Just forgoing the on/off switch and the keyboard would turn on when plugged into the wall. While you have the solder gun on you might want to try and heat the switch connectors, if they are easily accessible. You might want to do this before customizing the power assembly. I wish you the best of luck and will be praying that the synth Gods are on your side. Keep us posted.

PS: Have you tried switching the on/off switch many times fast. Do you think that by sitting for a few months some dust might have gotten inside the switch and it is preventing it from making full contact. Just a thought. You might try some contact cleaner. Best of luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: