Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I lost pitch bend
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Iverson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: I lost pitch bend Reply with quote

Hi, as I was playing yesterday I noticed that the pitch bend just went away. No bend going left or right. Pushing forward still gives vibrato though. I went through the manual but finally found out where to set it. But when I looked at the settings they were already set at 2 both left and right settings. I set them at 12 to see if it would respond but no pitch change. Is it time to do a factory reset? I know this is two questions, but when I went to do a backup onto my flash drive, it said it was write protected. There is no switch to protect it. Could there be a setting on the board that would affect the flash drive? Little confused here. Thanks for your response!
darrylkorg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I lost pitch bend Reply with quote

Jerry Iverson wrote:
Hi, as I was playing yesterday I noticed that the pitch bend just went away. No bend going left or right. Pushing forward still gives vibrato though. I went through the manual but finally found out where to set it. But when I looked at the settings they were already set at 2 both left and right settings. I set them at 12 to see if it would respond but no pitch change. Is it time to do a factory reset? I know this is two questions, but when I went to do a backup onto my flash drive, it said it was write protected. There is no switch to protect it. Could there be a setting on the board that would affect the flash drive? Little confused here. Thanks for your response!

My joystick also is not responding to the X features.. However up and down is working similar to yours. Was the factory reset successful????

Regards,
Darryl
Jerry Iverson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Joystick not working Reply with quote

No, factory reset didn't work as I tried it twice. After spending hours reading the manual to make sure I was hitting the right settings and reading on the internet I concluded that it must be broken. As my board is only 5 months old, I took it to an authorized repair after talking to Korg on the phone. Today I called and found out they have ordered a new joystick assembly. So, if you try a factory reset after saving your songs, sounds etc. and it doesn't work then you need a repair. Good luck!
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: If your keyboard is out of warranty, a replacement joystick can be had for about $25 US from the Korg parts house ...

http://www.guitar-parts.com/catalog/korg-joystick-assem-m3-pa3x-joy0001001

I'm going to order one just to have it as a spare part. Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Jerry Iverson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info Rick, thanks!
darrylkorg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jerry and Thoraldus.. Great Info.. My board is out of warranty and would be using the link you have provided. I just saw that they ship worldwide Smile Smile
Brianepaulson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Joystick sick Reply with quote

I am on my second pa600. The joystick has failed on this one also.....in the x position.
Mudi2000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a general issue with the joysticks. Mine also had failed, it has been repaired by Korg (was sent there by the retailer) and since then no issue yet. I also had an issue that the power supply made a high-pitch noise when the unit was powered off, which also was fixed by Korg (PSU swapped).
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Friends:

I've the same problem with PA 500.- I think Korg quality control fails always; it's not reasonable that any keyboard element fails after few days or month; when i meet Korg Service in my country, repair costs US 75,00, so i decide not to repair PA500, and use - for ever - my strong and well designed CME UF 70 as marterkeyboard.-
Now i do the same with my PA600, and by any reason i touch, move or "see", the joystick.- No often, KORG still have's one of the best and versatile and crystal clear sound engine, and of course the best OS; perhaps Korg must check chinese job.-
Good Luck
Brianepaulson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Sick joystick Reply with quote

I too am having problems with the x position of the joystick . My first Pa 600 was sent back for the problems on the y position. American Musical supply
will send me my third one. Crying or Very sad
Mudi2000

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, the joystick of my PA600 has now also failed a second time. And I don't use it THAT often...
I will bring it in to service, but this really starts to suck now.
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these failures might be related to poor soldering technique. I've seen a number of electronic devices recently using the "tack solder" method. You tin the connection and the wire then hold them touching each other while applying heat until the solder flows. This method is fast. The problem with this method is you are relying on the solder to maintain the connection and any movement of the wire as the solder is cooling can create a bad solder joint. Solder joints made in this manner are much more likely to fail over time.

When I was involved with production quality control, we insisted that a secure mechanical connection was made first before soldering.

I'd be very curious to learn what the failure mode was on these boards.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
16bars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Is Not solder problem Reply with quote

Thoraldus wrote:
I think these failures might be related to poor soldering technique. I've seen a number of electronic devices recently using the "tack solder" method. You tin the connection and the wire then hold them touching each other while applying heat until the solder flows. This method is fast. The problem with this method is you are relying on the solder to maintain the connection and any movement of the wire as the solder is cooling can create a bad solder joint. Solder joints made in this manner are much more likely to fail over time.

When I was involved with production quality control, we insisted that a secure mechanical connection was made first before soldering.

I'd be very curious to learn what the failure mode was on these boards.
Quote:
It is not solder problem, the three wires to the section of the joystick is connected with very small wire, they break, they should of engineered the wires with some type of flex, as the movement after a while breaks all three of the wires to joystick connector.
Karimh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys... not sure if you all fixed this issue or not. I ran into this problem last month and couldn't believe such a great keyboard would fail this soon (joystick).

My warranty was up. I decided to open up the board and see what was going on in there. I found 2 cables disconnected from the joystick. I took a apart the assembly and put it back together (including stripping the small cables with the white jack that hooks onto the assembly). It took me 15 minutes and it's working like a charm.

When I put it back together, I made sure I have enough cable slack in ALL directions so that things are "comfortable" during operation. Be patient, those cables are tiny and insane to work with.

I did not solder anything!

I used this video as a guide to what I was doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4weTHNvVmA

Best of luck!
sridharar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, heavily into Indian Music - Joystick is the most heavily used element on the keyboard,

Sadly..

I have already changed the Joystick three times.
Soldering is a minor issue.
The Joystick itself is of poor design and quality.
It is very noisy and not very durable.

I have sort of given up on that and trying to use other options (using Touch Midi with my android handset, writing a custom C# code and Flight Simulator Joystick sending Midi, my Alesis Keytar via midi etc..)

Quite disappointed that Korg would choose to use such a shoddy component in the keyboard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa600/Pa300 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: